Author Topic: Doctor: “Kyrie could have a chronic shoulder issue”  (Read 10307 times)

Re: Doctor: “Kyrie could have a chronic shoulder issue”
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2019, 10:50:12 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I've had rotator cuff surgery and no way in hell is it "chronic".  Its a simple operation and fixes you up for life.  I'm no bb player but I think I was 100% in a matter of a few weeks.
I'm gonna go with the Dr. here.

Also a TON of athletes have chronic shoulder issues with their rotator cuffs.

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2019, 11:03:36 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
After realizing he wasn't going to win much leading the Nets alone, he's sitting out this season to play with KD next season.

This is just my opinion/theory.

Quite possibly. Which means he's wasted a year of his career at age 27 and is now bidding his time for next season as KD tries to get back into basketball shape from his torn achillies. That could mean another wasted year as Durant might still only be at 70% (as we saw with Hayward last year, as he tried to work his way back from a broken leg.) 

That would mean the Nets might not be really good 'til year 3 of KD and Kyrie. That means 2 wasted years of Kyrie's prime, that he could've better utilized in Boston, playing with a better team.

Oh well

Kemba seems to be a much better fit!

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2019, 11:49:13 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I follow this channel on YT that speaks of sports injuries. Some 2 weeks ago Kyrie's shoulder was the topic.
https://youtu.be/zyoOq_UkhjU
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2019, 11:57:42 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I've had rotator cuff surgery and no way in hell is it "chronic".  Its a simple operation and fixes you up for life.  I'm no bb player but I think I was 100% in a matter of a few weeks.

Yeah, wasn’t that what Andrew Luck had? At the same time, I think Anthony Davis is playing with one, now.

I’m sure it has to do with the extent of the injury and the player’s tolerance for pain.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2019, 12:12:14 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Yeah, wasn’t that what Andrew Luck had? At the same time, I think Anthony Davis is playing with one, now.

I’m sure it has to do with the extent of the injury and the player’s tolerance for pain.
I had it done and I have been good as new ever since, though it took a few months,  not a few weeks, to get all the strength back.  Better to do it like Paul George did and wait until the season is over to have surgery if surgery is the best option and the player can deal with the discomfort.  Guys like Anthony Davis and Irving don’t strike me as guys who tolerate discomfort well.

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2019, 12:23:19 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Congratulations on your successful surgery.

Unfortunately for Kyrie, it sounds like he might have a chronic issue.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2019, 12:29:01 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Sorry to hear about any player with injuries. The Cleveland fans I know were telling me that he is beyond injury prone. We also saw it to a degree as well. I hope he gets back to being healthy though and even though he is not a Celtics player anymore, I want to beat full strength Kyrie.

We might have truly dodged a big bullet though. Who would have been our backup PG that would/could turn into our full time PG for who knows how long?

Danny seems to have a knack for some players saving him by their own doing...Josh Jackson anyone?! Now Kyrie perhaps For Kyrie, time will tell if injuries become a thing of his past someday and if the Nets ever get to full strength with their 2 top 10 players on the court at the same time.

I agree with others though, if Kyrie and the Nets punt this season for a draft pick and next year will not gel so quickly with two players dusting off a ton of rust and zero together time with each other and mates. It could be year 3 for them.

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2019, 12:31:40 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
I follow this channel on YT that speaks of sports injuries. Some 2 weeks ago Kyrie's shoulder was the topic.
https://youtu.be/zyoOq_UkhjU

Yes, this guy is very good - one of the most important skills for a doctor is clear communication.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2019, 03:18:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think we should all pause before jumping for joy over Kyrie's injury...not only for the optics (and in being decent human beings), but there are various degrees of this injury (impingement). A number of years ago, I 'tweaked' something in my shoulder while lifting and thought it was just temporary. I was able to play basketball (the first few weeks were rough), but had to complete change the way I lifted to avoid hurting it more. About two years later I was about back to normal, but continue to avoid flat bench press to this day.

Kyrie may very well have a serious injury, but it is more likely he just needs time off to rest and he completely needs to avoid whatever caused the impingement in the first place. If it is more serious, timpiker and moiso are good examples of how everything can eventually be solved with surgery. He isn't a starting pitcher, he is a basketball player; the stress in the shoulder area maybe 'chronic', but it shouldn't be completely debilitating for life. He is a very gifted basketball player and will very likely back to All-Star form sooner rather than later.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 03:48:01 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2019, 04:16:10 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I think we should all pause before jumping for joy over Kyrie's injury...not only for the optics (and in being decent human beings), but there are various degrees of this injury (impingement). A number of years ago, I 'tweaked' something in my shoulder while lifting and thought it was just temporary. I was able to play basketball (the first few weeks were rough), but had to complete change the way I lifted to avoid hurting it more. About two years later I was about back to normal, but continue to avoid flat bench press to this day.

Kyrie may very well have a serious injury, but it is more likely he just needs time off to rest and he completely needs to avoid whatever caused the impingement in the first place. If it is more serious, timpiker and moiso are good examples of how everything can eventually be solved with surgery. He isn't a starting pitcher, he is a basketball player; the stress in the shoulder area maybe 'chronic', but it shouldn't be completely debilitating for life. He is a very gifted basketball player and will very likely back to All-Star form sooner rather than later.
optics lol. Imagine caring that much about what other people think

Kyrie wasn’t a decent human. It’s karma buddy

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2019, 04:50:00 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

looks like you guys are talking past each other. The problem may very well be chronic until it is surgically treated.

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2019, 05:52:29 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

I had it done and I have been good as new ever since, though it took a few months,  not a few weeks, to get all the strength back.  Better to do it like Paul George did and wait until the season is over to have surgery if surgery is the best option and the player can deal with the discomfort.  Guys like Anthony Davis and Irving don’t strike me as guys who tolerate discomfort well.

Several clarifications here:

1)  A shoulder impingement and a rotator cuff injury are not the same thing, although one could follow from the other.

2) there are a lot of little structures in this area, and inflammation in any one of them could cause an impingement. For example, biceps tendinitis could push the supraspinatus muscle up into the bone because it’s located underneath, Even with no injury to the supraspinatus muscle. Bottom line, there are a lot of moving parts, and they all interact.

3)  The dimensions of the bone, in other words what you were given genetically, can vary between different shoulders. A smaller space above the joint means that that person is more likely to get an impingement. And that person is  also more likely to have a chronic problem.

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2019, 05:57:04 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

So...we call it...."Karma" when Kyrie Irving isn't completely truthful with BOS as to his intentions...then he develops a shoulder condition that could be serious?

I personally fail to equate "Being Decent" with not being completely truthful to a fanbase...especially when it appears as if things are working out for that fanbase.

You know...given Boston's OWN illustrious Injury / Tragedy history (Len Bias...Reggie Lewis...KG's Knee...Perk missing games in the Finals.....Rondo's Injury....Gordon Hayward Injury......

.......I think I'd be careful with Kyrie's issue.

I personally wish him well.

I see zero need in applying "Karma" to Kyrie's case.

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2019, 07:27:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
It’s interesting that Kyrie is dealing with an impingement and potential labrum tear.  That’s what IT had, although the injury is drastically different in the hip than shoulder.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2019, 07:32:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

So...we call it...."Karma" when Kyrie Irving isn't completely truthful with BOS as to his intentions...then he develops a shoulder condition that could be serious?

I personally fail to equate "Being Decent" with not being completely truthful to a fanbase...especially when it appears as if things are working out for that fanbase.

You know...given Boston's OWN illustrious Injury / Tragedy history (Len Bias...Reggie Lewis...KG's Knee...Perk missing games in the Finals.....Rondo's Injury....Gordon Hayward Injury......

.......I think I'd be careful with Kyrie's issue.

I personally wish him well.

I see zero need in applying "Karma" to Kyrie's case.

I think they’re two separate issues.

I think Kyrie is a flake and a beta who sabotaged a promising team.  For that, I think he’s open to criticism.

And, I wouldn’t mind him failing spectacularly in Brooklyn. I don’t wish the man well basketball-wise.

But, I don’t wish injury or inability to play upon him. And, outside of superstition and joking around, karma doesn’t exist. Good people get injured / screwed over as much as bad people do.