Author Topic: Bill Russell's Twitter game is strong  (Read 1993 times)

Bill Russell's Twitter game is strong
« on: March 16, 2019, 11:21:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Re: Bill Russell's Twitter game is strong
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 11:55:16 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
The amount of hate he's getting is a major lol, Russell arguably played against the toughest era for Cs, and half of those HoFs he played with wouldn't have gotten in without him.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 06:04:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
His "kick your ass" speech always makes me cry with laughter
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 01:23:31 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I don't tweet, I only follow on twitter.

Russell is the one guy I felt really excited to be able to read his tweets. Thinking about who that guy is and what he's done and went through in his life and knowing that he's using a super computer he keeps in his pocket to send messages that I receive in my own blew my mind for some reason.

He's a good follow, for sure.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 03:05:46 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
The amount of hate he's getting is a major lol, Russell arguably played against the toughest era for Cs, and half of those HoFs he played with wouldn't have gotten in without him.

Agreed.

I know my opinion isn't popular, and maybe this is my old man bias coming out, but I have had Russell and Wilt ranked #1 & #2 all time and I don't see any reason to change that.

Russell was the ultimate team player and ultimate defensive player.

Wilt was the ultimate individual and offensive player.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 03:48:50 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
He is criminally underrated by the current generation of fans who have no imagination when it comes to how the game was played 50 years ago. As I've said many times before, the point of basketball is to win. Russell was consistently the best player on teams that won and won and won, from college to the pros to the Olympics. That's all you need to know. As a bonus, he's also the NBA's first black head coach and one of the iconic faces of the civil rights movement.

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 06:10:57 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
It's interesting to watch Russell's transformation over the years.  He's opened up a lot compared to his persona during the 70's and 80's.  He's even giving autographed stuff away where for years he refused to sign anything.  It seems like either he or someone close to him realized that there was still time to be acknowledged and appreciated for his many accomplishments and I think it's great that he's allowed that to happen.

I enjoy Russell's twitter feed myself but I also wonder whether he hasn't hired out someone to do it. Saw an interview with Bob Cousy last year where he said Russell was dealing with dementia - yet his Twitter feed is excellent.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 11:17:30 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
It's interesting to watch Russell's transformation over the years.  He's opened up a lot compared to his persona during the 70's and 80's.  He's even giving autographed stuff away where for years he refused to sign anything.  It seems like either he or someone close to him realized that there was still time to be acknowledged and appreciated for his many accomplishments and I think it's great that he's allowed that to happen.

I enjoy Russell's twitter feed myself but I also wonder whether he hasn't hired out someone to do it. Saw an interview with Bob Cousy last year where he said Russell was dealing with dementia - yet his Twitter feed is excellent.

Obviously based solely on his public persona because I don't know him, it seems like he's found some peace and felt comfortable opening up more than he was able to as a younger man. At least, that's what I hope is happening.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 01:07:29 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Obviously based solely on his public persona because I don't know him, it seems like he's found some peace and felt comfortable opening up more than he was able to as a younger man. At least, that's what I hope is happening.

I think Russell's perceived 'public persona' in Boston is a bit different than it has been in Seattle.    Much of Boston remembers Bill from those last years in Boston when he was in almost a detente war with certain sports 'reporters'.    How he was portrayed and how he let himself be portrayed then seems very different from how he was seen in Seattle as coach of the Sonics and then later as retired basketball elder statesman in that community.   He was not as guarded towards people in the northwest as people remember him being towards folks while he was still here in Mass.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 04:20:29 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I would break basketball ability down to 35% offense, 35% defense, (both of equal value because 2 points is either scored or prevented), then 20% rebounding, loose balls, hustle plays and 10% intangibles, mostly mental toughness.

I would say Bill Russell is the greatest defender the game has ever known - no contest. I would say Russell was good to very good offensively - on teams full of scorers, he averaged 14 - 18 points per game annually depending on the season. I would put Russell as the #2 all-time rebounder behind Wilt. Finally, I would rank him again as the best ever when it came to intangibles and mental toughness, beating his opponents when playing under the highest level of pressure, playoff games, game 7's, late game execution and winning the most critical possessions of a given game. He also elevated the play of his teammates - and of course was the absolute best at Winning.
11 NBA titles in 13 years, 2 NCAA titles in 3 years and an Olympic Gold Medal.

To me - that adds up to the Greatest of All Time - #1 Baby !!
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce