Author Topic: Patriots Free Agency Thread  (Read 47310 times)

Patriots Free Agency Thread
« on: March 06, 2017, 03:31:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
FB James Develin has been re-signed on a 2 year contract!  8) ;D

To me, Hightower and Butler are the ABSOLUTE PRIORITIES to keep this FA.

Also, there's been reports that Adrian Peterson may be thinking of taking a discount to come to New England. I know J. Charles and A. Peterson have had a ton of injuries, but if either could be had for cheap as a potential "low risk, high potential" kind of guy, then sign me up!

Use this thread to talk about signings/rumors. Should be a busy week ahead.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Patriots Free Agency Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 03:38:06 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm really glad they brought Develin back; he's a really good fullback.

Agreed that Hightower and Butler are top priorities who need to be retained. And I would definitely take a flier on Peterson if he could be acquired on the cheap.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 03:42:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Agreed that Hightower and Butler are top priorities who need to be retained. And I would definitely take a flier on Peterson if he could be acquired on the cheap.

TP, exact sentiments here.

Maybe Develin coming back sort of gave Peterson an extra incentive to consider coming here?

He's super underrated but actually a top FB in the entire NFL.

With Blount unfortunately leaving (at least that's what it seems), keeping Develin and signing another RB would be great, also to go along with Lewis/White. 

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 03:43:34 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

I have a bad feeling we might lose Hightower. Then it would be Jones, Collins, and Hightower. It was supposed to be 1 or 2 of those guys plus Butler who should stay.

Regardless, this defense is going to be a shell of itself next year. We're going to lose to many extra pieces that can't be replaced in the draft or minimum FA signings. We already had a very weak front 7 that won a super bowl and we're looking at losing a good chunk of those guys this off season.

A very weak 2017 defense along with Brady being another year older and no youth on offense, 2017 could be ugly.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 03:48:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I have a bad feeling we might lose Hightower. Then it would be Jones, Collins, and Hightower. It was supposed to be 1 or 2 of those guys plus Butler who should stay.

Regardless, this defense is going to be a shell of itself next year. We're going to lose to many extra pieces that can't be replaced in the draft or minimum FA signings. We already had a very weak front 7 that won a super bowl and we're looking at losing a good chunk of those guys this off season.

A very weak 2017 defense along with Brady being another year older and no youth on offense, 2017 could be ugly.

Unfortunately that's a big reason we didn't repeat two years ago as well.

Won a SB, then lost Revis (in his prime at the time - nice rhyme LOL), Browner, Big Vince (depressing), and some other key defensive cogs.

Then we didn't adequately replace them (only filled their spots with rookies and depth players), and while that may have worked much of the season, it got exposed in the final two games of the season which cost us #1 seed, and got exposed against Denver that year.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 04:31:26 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Won a SB, then lost Revis (in his prime at the time - nice rhyme LOL), Browner, Big Vince (depressing), and some other key defensive cogs.

Then we didn't adequately replace them (only filled their spots with rookies and depth players), and while that may have worked much of the season, it got exposed in the final two games of the season which cost us #1 seed, and got exposed against Denver that year.

Im done questioning bellicheck in the off-season. I guess with perfect himdsight drafting and free agency, wed have 8-9 superbowl wins instead if 5? On the flipside, maybe we go "all-in" after the 3rd '04 SB, maybe win a SB in the next 3 years after that ( or not; nothing guaranteed, see '07), then turn into a capspace garbage fire for 4-5 years... i think BB's strategy has worked pretty well so far.

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 04:34:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Im done questioning bellicheck in the off-season. I guess with perfect himdsight drafting and free agency, wed have 8-9 superbowl wins instead if 5? On the flipside, maybe we go "all-in" after the 3rd '04 SB, maybe win a SB in the next 3 years after that ( or not; nothing guaranteed, see '07), then turn into a capspace garbage fire for 4-5 years... i think BB's strategy has worked pretty well so far.

True. I just think if we lose Butler, we have a BIG hole at CB (especially if Ryan leaves too). I mean, who are our lockdown corners after that? Rowe? Coleman? Cyrus Jones? Not confidence-inspiring.

First Round Tender to Butler is what I predict (they ultimately keep him). Hightower is 50/50, but my gut tells me BB keeps him. He's a great leader, and probably without him, there are no SB's (he single handedly kept Lynch out of the endzone which led to another play which was the Butler INT, THEN a month ago, his strip sack was sort of the turning point of the whole SB - gave Brady a short field and a quick TD with little time used up and got them closer).

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 06:25:02 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

True. I just think if we lose Butler, we have a BIG hole at CB (especially if Ryan leaves too). I mean, who are our lockdown corners after that? Rowe? Coleman? Cyrus Jones? Not confidence-inspiring.

First Round Tender to Butler is what I predict (they ultimately keep him). Hightower is 50/50, but my gut tells me BB keeps him. He's a great leader, and probably without him, there are no SB's (he single handedly kept Lynch out of the endzone which led to another play which was the Butler INT, THEN a month ago, his strip sack was sort of the turning point of the whole SB - gave Brady a short field and a quick TD with little time used up and got them closer).

Yeah. BB is not perfect, but he is among the best, if not yhe best, at overall rister construction and management. It is hard to stay good for a ling time in the NFL. No one, including BB, could expect perfection in roster building, too inexact of a science. And aometimes it does seem like they are 1 piece away from contending and oh why didnt they keep/sign/trade for X, Y, or Z, but i guess the tradeoff of lacking that primo first class dance ticket once a decade is that you do get a dance ticket every single year. And you dont get those dance tickets spending 25 million for 1 year of revis or, because of that, reworking it to be 3 yrs 60 or so for a player who could drop off any time.

I hope hightower and butler stay. Hightower might follow the mcourty route of seeing the offers in FA then resigning in NE for what is therefore known to be a fair deal.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 06:47:16 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I think Hightower is different from Jones and Collins in that the team has had no issues with him, and there really are no significant flaws to his game. My suspicion is that they keep him.

I think they need to keep Butler too, or their secondary will be shot.

Yeah. BB is not perfect, but he is among the best, if not yhe best, at overall rister construction and management. It is hard to stay good for a ling time in the NFL. No one, including BB, could expect perfection in roster building, too inexact of a science. And aometimes it does seem like they are 1 piece away from contending and oh why didnt they keep/sign/trade for X, Y, or Z, but i guess the tradeoff of lacking that primo first class dance ticket once a decade is that you do get a dance ticket every single year. And you dont get those dance tickets spending 25 million for 1 year of revis or, because of that, reworking it to be 3 yrs 60 or so for a player who could drop off any time.

This pretty much sums up my view of the overall situation. I've often criticized Belichick for not getting a stud pass rusher/sack artist, but he does very well at maintaining a defense that overall is solid, usually by drafting well (Flowers) or getting guys who've been overlooked elsewhere (Sheard, Van Noy).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 03:34:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Some Updates Last 24 Hours:

1. Patriots tendered Cameron Fleming, Matt Lengel and Justin Coleman. Not major moves, but important because those are depth re-signings for the three thin positional groups (TE, OT, CB). Lost Vollmer, could lose Bennett and Logan Ryan, so this is some insurance.

2. Adrian Peterson may be willing to take a pay cut to play in NE. NE obviously won't break the bank on him or target him that highly in the FA class, but it's still an intriguing option. Unfortunately, Blount looks like he will leave so maybe adding Peterson + a draftee or another FA RB could be a great move. Or Jamaal Charles is another risky option (low risk, high reward type guy like AP).

3. Martellus Bennett is commanding around 9M/Year in the open market, and over half the teams in the NFL are really interested in him lol. Well, thanks for the Super Bowl and a compensatory 2018 3rd/4th round pick Bennett!

4. My GUT tells me the Pats will make a "veteran, low-risk, discount signing", and that guy looks like Brandon Marshall. He's tall (6'4''), and with Bennett leaving, he could function as a TE in some plays, but it gives Brady another legit weapon and I'm sure with Brady's window closing, the Patriots may be looking to go into "win-now" mode. #BlitzForSix

5. The price for Harmon is around 5-6M/Year, so I think BB keeps him at that price. He's underrated but has made plays including in the playoffs, and is a very solid depth safety with McCourty. Knows the system extremely well. This all but means Logan Ryan is gone though. So the search for a #2 CB could begin soon. I think Malcolm Butler gets the First Round Tender and stays.

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 04:53:52 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Pats getting TE Allen from Indy for a late round pick.  This is a smooth BB move!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 04:57:42 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Pats getting TE Allen from Indy for a late round pick.  This is a smooth BB move!
oooh I like Allen.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 05:02:53 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Dwayne Allen pickup is the equivalent to the 2014 Darrelle Revis and 2016 Martellus Bennett pickup.

Ayeeeeee

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 05:07:10 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Interesting trade.

I guess it's goodbye to Marty. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 08:14:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Yep great move. 4th rounder for Allen + Colts 6th rounder.  8)

Bennett is probably gone now.

If they can keep Hightower I'll be extremely happy.