Author Topic: U S Open Golf  (Read 4435 times)

U S Open Golf
« on: June 19, 2009, 10:05:29 AM »

Offline PistolPete

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
I usually pull for Mickelson, and for him to win this year would be a great story. But this year I'm pulling for a friend of mine's son, Ben Martin. He's an amatuer, a senior at Clemson. I coached his brother Matt in b-ball a couple of years ago. Matt plays high school golf.

I've never started a topic before.

Right now, Ben is tied for first after 10 holes of the first round at 1 under par!  Go Ben!!

Go Phil, too.

Re: U S Open Golf
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 10:14:14 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Bad double bogey there for Tiger at #15.

I like the Drew Weaver story.  Amateur who shot a 69 in the first round.  Kid was a student at Virginia Tech when those shootings happened and was only 100 yards away from it and now he's playing in the U.S. Open.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 10:15:44 AM »

Offline PistolPete

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
I may just be talking to myself, but this is pretty awesome, Ben's two under and in sole possesion of first place in the U S Open. Sixty-one holes to play(unless they shorten it due to conditions), but first place is still first place.

Go Ben!

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 10:49:18 AM »

Offline Fox40Kid

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • "This is beautiful. What is that? Velvet?"
I was just on the phone with a friend of mine talking about the leaderboad at the US Open and the exact words that came out of my mouth were, "Who is Ben Martin?"

Now I know, I have to call him back.

Where is Ben originally from?
"Coach you were 24 and 58 last year, why the playoff talk?"
"Well we made a couple of key trades . . . and we got The Funk."

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 04:11:02 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Can't say I envisioned seeing David Duval on the first page of the leaderboard.

Talk about a blast from the past.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 11:55:18 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Judging by the internet scoreboard Phil just took a tie for the lead with an eagle.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 12:01:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Has there ever been a professional athlete who fell so far, so quickly?  He went from being the best golfer in the world, to being the second best golfer in the world, to being in complete obscurity in the blink of an eye. 

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 12:58:01 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
A great day but looks like a disappointing ending for most fans today.  Same old story for Phil, Duval with a nasty lip out for par on 17.  Looked like he hit a really good putt there. 
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 05:46:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Looks like it was a good finish. Too bad Phil couldn't hang on this time either.

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 06:38:54 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I was more upset and livid at the darn tootin' weather than I ever though I could be the first round, and I was really upset that it created a HUGE discrepancy between those that played a decent amount of holes on Thursday morning and those that started their tournament on Friday (pretty incredible... only 3 players that played on Thursday finished in the top 18 or so).

But in the end the weather cooperated for a few days and it was a decent tourney.

Also happy because in a 30 person pool on the ESPN Golf board I was the only person to include Lucas Glover on my 5 man squad (could only choose 1 top 10 world ranked player).  He, as well as Mahan and Tiger's top 10 finishes, carried me to victory. 

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 10:43:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I was more upset and livid at the darn tootin' weather than I ever though I could be the first round, and I was really upset that it created a HUGE discrepancy between those that played a decent amount of holes on Thursday morning and those that started their tournament on Friday (pretty incredible... only 3 players that played on Thursday finished in the top 18 or so).

But in the end the weather cooperated for a few days and it was a decent tourney.

Also happy because in a 30 person pool on the ESPN Golf board I was the only person to include Lucas Glover on my 5 man squad (could only choose 1 top 10 world ranked player).  He, as well as Mahan and Tiger's top 10 finishes, carried me to victory. 
Well done BT! TP for your foresight  :).