Author Topic: Royce White missing games and practices  (Read 16078 times)

Re: Royce White missing games and practices
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 09:23:48 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
i would trade melo for him if houston just wanted to get rid of him

I would trade Melo for him if I thought he'd show up. I was very high on Royce White in the draft and very high on him preseason. This is a new development and that being said I'd have to talk to him and his agent before I made any trade.

I'd trade Melo for him if we had some agreement that he seek therapy and medication on a regular basis. We don't need him for 82 games his first 2 seasons. We are planning on sending Melo to Maine anyway. If Royce gets his head right he has the build of Lebron James and while he's not as fast his passing is really impressive to me.

Then again it's only worth it if he plays...

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 09:24:05 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Houston will probably release him.

I'm very glad we didn't trade up to grab him now.

yes , this sounds serious at this age and level. and its a distraction for the team as well. A team needs to focus together .

C's are so lucky to have landed Sully and Fab.  They are healthy and seem to have their acts together as young men.

Here is 20 yr old Sully already contributing to the team effort in a big way , not because the C's are looking to replace Bass and despert like the Bobcats for players. But, because he is a GOOD player willing to do the tuff jobs and has immediate usuable skills.  A player good enough that can START on the NBA storied Boston Celtics as a 20 yr old.... just compare that to White or ANY of the other teams rookies... Just look at potiental of Fab Melo and compare that to a guy they can 't depend  on to show up for a  flight to a basketball game. Why would you want someone so troubled by a sickness he can't control.

I'll keep DA drafts thank you.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:10:16 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 09:37:04 AM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

I would trade Melo for him if I thought he'd show up. I was very high on Royce White in the draft and very high on him preseason. This is a new development and that being said I'd have to talk to him and his agent before I made any trade.

I'd trade Melo for him if we had some agreement that he seek therapy and medication on a regular basis. We don't need him for 82 games his first 2 seasons. We are planning on sending Melo to Maine anyway. If Royce gets his head right he has the build of Lebron James and while he's not as fast his passing is really impressive to me.

Then again it's only worth it if he plays...

I don't think you need an agreement. He does all that to keep himself healthy, and this is also the problem between him and the Rockets. He has a pretty good idea what triggers his anxiety and needs his team to deal with that. But maybe it's impossible within a competetive environment like an NBA team...

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 09:37:25 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I don’t know the guy, and haven’t really ever followed him, but the more I read about him, the more he comes off like a self-entitled jerk.

Junior year of high school, suspended for first 2 games (don’t know why, but a suspension is never good).

Junior year of high school, well after the suspension White was later dismissed from the team (again don’t know why, but never a good thing)

Freshman year of college, accused of taking $100 worth of clothes and assaulting a security guard at a mall (though he claims the assault was actually self defense).  Plead guilty to theft and disorderly conduct. 

Freshman year of college, charged with 3 counts of trespassing regarding a stolen laptop.  White then quits the team and leaves school shortly after the charges citing “stress.”  Posted a video on youtube telling everybody this, instead of telling his coach or the school (who had not heard anything from White).

NBA rookie season, signs a contract with the Houston Rockets, but then refuses to report to camp until alternative arrangements are worked out.  (Isn’t a contract supposed to address those things? You sign the contract agreeing to certain terms, but then still want to hold out?).

NBA rookie season, has yet to play a game, and is already missing practices and games.  While maybe you can argue the team is spinning it making him look bad, what about his teammates? As Marcus Morris said. “None of us have seen Royce. He didn’t come to the game and missed three or four practices. … I text him all the time, make sure he’s doing fine, but he hasn’t texted back.”

NBA rookie season, after Rockets say he’s been missing practices games and was sent to the D League, White goes on a Twitter rant, blasting the team and blaming others, and seemingly taking no responsibility.

Anything else I’m missing?

Ok, I get he has anxiety issues, and that can be a major illness, but some of this stuff just seems pathetic to me.   What part of the anxiety issue is causing him to miss practices during a home stand?  I don’t know the guy, never really followed him, and only know the few things I’ve read, but he’s definitely coming off like a self entitled jerk to me.  Part of me kind of hopes he never plays in the NBA.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don’t know the guy, and haven’t really ever followed him, but the more I read about him, the more he comes off like a self-entitled jerk.

Junior year of high school, suspended for first 2 games (don’t know why, but a suspension is never good).

Junior year of high school, well after the suspension White was later dismissed from the team (again don’t know why, but never a good thing)

Freshman year of college, accused of taking $100 worth of clothes and assaulting a security guard at a mall (though he claims the assault was actually self defense).  Plead guilty to theft and disorderly conduct. 

Freshman year of college, charged with 3 counts of trespassing regarding a stolen laptop.  White then quits the team and leaves school shortly after the charges citing “stress.”  Posted a video on youtube telling everybody this, instead of telling his coach or the school (who had not heard anything from White).

NBA rookie season, signs a contract with the Houston Rockets, but then refuses to report to camp until alternative arrangements are worked out.  (Isn’t a contract supposed to address those things? You sign the contract agreeing to certain terms, but then still want to hold out?).

NBA rookie season, has yet to play a game, and is already missing practices and games.  While maybe you can argue the team is spinning it making him look bad, what about his teammates? As Marcus Morris said. “None of us have seen Royce. He didn’t come to the game and missed three or four practices. … I text him all the time, make sure he’s doing fine, but he hasn’t texted back.”

NBA rookie season, after Rockets say he’s been missing practices games and was sent to the D League, White goes on a Twitter rant, blasting the team and blaming others, and seemingly taking no responsibility.

Anything else I’m missing?

Ok, I get he has anxiety issues, and that can be a major illness, but some of this stuff just seems pathetic to me.   What part of the anxiety issue is causing him to miss practices during a home stand?  I don’t know the guy, never really followed him, and only know the few things I’ve read, but he’s definitely coming off like a self entitled jerk to me.  Part of me kind of hopes he never plays in the NBA.
TP for this post.

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 11:05:14 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
To me, this continues to reek of a guy who has a lawyer in his ear (probably at the behest of his agent).  They have been putting together a discrimination case from the outset, just incase his disability does take him down.  And you can bet that if White's career falls apart because of this disability, he will be filing a case against Houston, and probably the NBA, not just making sure he gets his entire rookie contract, but that he gets future earnings as well (my guess is they will make a case for the average earnings for players based on his draft position).

They made 100% sure that he got the action plan in writing, so both sides knew exactly what is expected of them, and now White is following it through by calling them out if they aren't following it exactly as it was agreed upon.

The lawyer knows that if Houston agreed to one thing, and didn't follow it, and then White went along with that, then that would hurt their case.  So, to have the strongest case, White needs to follow the letter of the law on their agreement, so he doesn't set a precedent.

It is terrible, but sadly, that is kind of where we are when it comes to labor law in this country.

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 11:35:30 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
They made 100% sure that he got the action plan in writing, so both sides knew exactly what is expected of them, and now White is following it through by calling them out if they aren't following it exactly as it was agreed upon.

The lawyer knows that if Houston agreed to one thing, and didn't follow it, and then White went along with that, then that would hurt their case.  So, to have the strongest case, White needs to follow the letter of the law on their agreement, so he doesn't set a precedent.

This is what I wonder about.  I'm sure there's some form or agreement in place, I just wonder the extent of it, and the wording.

I imagine the Rockets agreed to "reasonable accommodations" to deal with Royce White's issues.  Maybe they outlined thoroughly the travel arrangements, but had some sort of open-ended "reasonable accommodation" deal for any other issues that may arise.  Now my guess would be that the Rockets and White are now disagreeing on what is "reasonable", hence the inconsistency and dishonesty White refers to.  Since I have a negative view of White, I imagine something like this:

Rockets: Practice at 10am tomorrow.
White: Practicing that early causes me anxiety issues.  We need to move practice to 12pm.
Rockets: We're not moving practice just for you.
White: You said you would accommodate me!
Rockets:  Moving the entire teams practice just for you is not a reasonable accommodation. Practice is at 10am.

I picture a diva who doesn't show up to practice because of some outrageous accommodation issue, but thinks he doesn't need to tell anybody he's not coming in, because it should be obvious to the team that he's not coming because they didn't accommodate a particular whim of his.

But I don't really know, maybe the Rockets really are screwing him and treating him like crap, and White's the victim here.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 11:38:56 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

It's entirely possible that Royce is no more self-entitled than most pro athletes, but has a legitimate mental condition that exacerbates the problem.

Mike

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 11:45:04 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
 dis is sad for a talented young man,  but not something I would wish on the Bostons Celtics club .

Health issues like Green & Wilcox are one thing and the Celtic club deserves alot of credit sticking by their players.   Mental health is a whole another thing. The NBA with its strick deadlines and fast paced stress is too much for him to cope with. Alot of times young men /women are not resposible enough to take their meds and their sickness gets worse.  He maybe a bad fit for a high Stress NBA career.   

Right now Doc has his hands full with 15 normal personalities.  I do wish White luck , but I do not want him on this team.

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 11:46:31 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If White can't perform the job he needs to find another line of work.  It's getting ridiculous to keep seeing White's name in the news for things other than basketball.

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 11:47:45 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

This is what I wonder about.  I'm sure there's some form or agreement in place, I just wonder the extent of it, and the wording.

I imagine the Rockets agreed to "reasonable accommodations" to deal with Royce White's issues.  Maybe they outlined thoroughly the travel arrangements, but had some sort of open-ended "reasonable accommodation" deal for any other issues that may arise.  Now my guess would be that the Rockets and White are now disagreeing on what is "reasonable", hence the inconsistency and dishonesty White refers to.  Since I have a negative view of White, I imagine something like this:

Rockets: Practice at 10am tomorrow.
White: Practicing that early causes me anxiety issues.  We need to move practice to 12pm.
Rockets: We're not moving practice just for you.
White: You said you would accommodate me!
Rockets:  Moving the entire teams practice just for you is not a reasonable accommodation. Practice is at 10am.

I picture a diva who doesn't show up to practice because of some outrageous accommodation issue, but thinks he doesn't need to tell anybody he's not coming in, because it should be obvious to the team that he's not coming because they didn't accommodate a particular whim of his.

But I don't really know, maybe the Rockets really are screwing him and treating him like crap, and White's the victim here.

We know that a specific agreement was in place, because Royce held out from training camp until it was agreed upon and in writing. 

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 12:00:46 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
even though royce white has major entitlement issues dating back to high school at least (got caught cheating, screamed at teacher 'i'm f'ing royce white!'), this fulltime nba thing was probably never going to work out. He's probably overwhelmed by stress right now, triggering his major ptsd symptoms and being re-traumatized. Subconsciously at least, he probably already wants to retire. Cant blame him. Some problems are just too deep seeded and severe.

This nba thing was probably only going to work out if he was only required to play home games, with optional close away games, with full support from team and teammates.

Rockets gm seems to have cookie cutter thought patterns not well equipped for handling a case like white. Which is why he drafted white at 14 anyway.

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 12:05:10 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
illpass on this headache! trading melo for sully???? LOL!!! This kid does not belong in the NBA apparently.

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 12:16:56 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
he should probably be happy to get sent to dleague. All bus rides, low pressure, build up something positive, still collect nba paycheck. 1 month of that and he has enough money to fund a film or music album or whatever else he pictures himself doing after bball. Chances are he'll be back in the dleague for years anyway after music and movies dont work out career wise.

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 01:11:41 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I don't know exactly what to think about all this - disentangling the legitimate medical issues from any other issues seems impossible.

I do know I seem to have been 100% wrong in hoping we would get him. I have no problem admitting that.

And I do hope he is able to get it together. He's a fun player to watch.