Poll

Given what each would cost, and their respective ages/contracts, who would you want?

Andre Drummond
8 (8.3%)
Myles Turner
20 (20.8%)
Clint Capela
4 (4.2%)
Marc Gasol
4 (4.2%)
Hassan Whiteside
1 (1%)
Jusuf Nurkic
6 (6.3%)
Cody Zeller
4 (4.2%)
Derrick Favors
6 (6.3%)
Steven Adams
11 (11.5%)
A Young Guy
0 (0%)
Dwayne Dedmon
5 (5.2%)
Ehhh, none  are worth what it would cost
27 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Big Man Options  (Read 70935 times)

Re: Big Man Options
« Reply #195 on: November 08, 2019, 02:11:02 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Shutting down this discussion. Get back onto big man options.

Yay!!! So as I was saying, Marcus Smart ... amiright?

Smart for the regular season.

Someone else for the playoffs.

« Reply #196 on: November 08, 2019, 02:14:39 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
We should just trade for Aron Baynes.  This deal works according to the infallible trade machine:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y4a4sk3g

« Reply #197 on: November 08, 2019, 02:17:25 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
We should just trade for Aron Baynes.  This deal works according to the infallible trade machine:

TP lol :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #198 on: November 08, 2019, 02:18:43 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I thought nick said to shut it down?

« Reply #199 on: November 08, 2019, 02:42:54 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I thought nick said to shut it down?

It's shut down alright and that's enough with hijacking threads for a while.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #200 on: November 08, 2019, 02:50:04 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

saltlover, you are a good person for this question. I thought that, often, players who were traded away could not be traded back for one year after the initial trade? Is that a case where it's "if the receiving team is over the cap" or is it something else?

I'd love to have Baynes back, obviously for the right price.

« Reply #201 on: November 08, 2019, 02:52:32 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

saltlover, you are a good person for this question. I thought that, often, players who were traded away could not be traded back for one year after the initial trade? Is that a case where it's "if the receiving team is over the cap" or is it something else?

You are correct that players cannot be traded back within one year of the initial trade.

« Reply #202 on: November 08, 2019, 02:55:33 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Only way we could acquire Baynes is if he's traded to another team and waived. I absolutely have no idea why that trade machine says he can be traded.

I wish the Suns start playing poorly, baynes gets traded and waived and if that happens I believe we are frontrunners for his services.

« Reply #203 on: November 08, 2019, 02:56:16 PM »

• Paul Silas

You are correct that players cannot be traded back within one year of the initial trade.

Just period, he cannot. Or if the receiving team is over the cap?

« Reply #204 on: November 08, 2019, 03:00:41 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Only way we could acquire Baynes is if he's traded to another team and waived. I absolutely have no idea why that trade machine says he can be traded.

I wish the Suns start playing poorly, baynes gets traded and waived and if that happens I believe we are frontrunners for his services.

I’d say ESPN is wrong, but they’re the professionals so that can’t be it...

I wouldn’t count on Baynes being traded and then waived.  Even if the Suns slow down (which I expect), his salary is very tradaable to a contending team, so I think if he’s traded he’ll just be kept by his new team.

« Reply #205 on: November 08, 2019, 03:13:11 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I wouldn’t count on Baynes being traded and then waived.  Even if the Suns slow down (which I expect), his salary is very tradaable to a contending team, so I think if he’s traded he’ll just be kept by his new team.

A man can dream though. I know it isn't likely but I sure wish it was! Plays good D, improved his game, good lockerroom presence. Only negative I can say about his stay here are the injuries.

« Reply #206 on: November 08, 2019, 03:14:10 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I wouldn’t count on Baynes being traded and then waived.  Even if the Suns slow down (which I expect), his salary is very tradable to a contending team, so I think if he’s traded he’ll just be kept by his new team.

I absolutely love your content, SL, and appreciate everything you bring to the blog, but no reason to instigate fierce. He's already lost his game thread privileges. You already have the mods' support.

« Reply #207 on: November 08, 2019, 03:16:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Just period, he cannot. Or if the receiving team is over the cap?

There may be some corner case exception that I don’t know because it’s unlikely to practically arise (e.g. a player is traded, waived, signed (not claimed) by a third team, and that third team then trades him after waiting the requisite 90 days), but for practical purposes, Baynes cannot be traded back to the Celtics.

Sorry for the confusion — I was trying to demonstrate an obvious flaw with Trade Machine.

« Reply #208 on: November 08, 2019, 03:18:27 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I wouldn’t count on Baynes being traded and then waived.  Even if the Suns slow down (which I expect), his salary is very tradable to a contending team, so I think if he’s traded he’ll just be kept by his new team.

I absolutely love your content, SL, and appreciate everything you bring to the blog, but no reason to instigate fierce. He's already lost his game thread privileges. You already have the mods' support.

You’re right.  I’m moving on from this.

« Reply #209 on: November 08, 2019, 03:58:23 PM »

• Paul Silas
A few others that I don't think have been brought up.

Ekpe Udoh had a great season last year in a backup role with the Jazz. Maybe he could provide some depth.

Khem Birch might run out of minutes quick with Vucevic, Bamba, Aminu, Gordon, and Isaac ahead of him. He was highly effective last year.

DJ Wilson has fallen out of the rotation in Milwaukee. This has the added bonus of Wilson having an axe to grind against the Bucks if he is traded away. He is a legit 6'10'' with a 7'3'' wingspan. His defensive stats in limited time have been pretty good.

Bjelica is a very intelligent player that works hard, but has definitely defensive deficiencies. Still, he would immediately be the best shooter on the Cs, which helps open the lane for our drivers.

What about our old friend Kelly Olynyk? His numbers and minutes are down a bit. With Bam playing well and Leonard (surprisingly) finally be effective, as well as the Heat playing Jones, Winslow, and Butler playing the 4, and Johnson coming back soon, Olynyk might be falling out of favor. He'd probably be the best all-around big the Cs had (I'm a big Olynyk fan).

For that matter, James Johnson might be a great option. The last two seasons, he's been one of the best defenders on Giannis. The Heat will definitely know this and probably keep him for a potential matchup in the playoffs.

WCS could be another option. If the Warriors blow it up this year and try to get as much draft capital as possible, the Cs could trade for him. He's an athletic guy who has figured out his role pretty well. Still, I'm not convinced he has the basketball IQ to be the answer against guys like Embiid.

Just a few thoughts to add to the list.