Author Topic: Players we should know more about: SAM JONES  (Read 5692 times)

Players we should know more about: SAM JONES
« on: September 23, 2009, 01:15:42 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

Coming off their first Championship against the Hawks, in 1957 The Boston Celtics selected a guard out of North Carolina Central by the name of Sam Jones. Jones was originally claimed by the Lakers but returned to college upon completion of military service.

Jones' second season was where he stepped into the light, coming off the bench along with Jim Luscotoff. Sam scored 10 pts on 20 minutes per game. The Celtics would win their 2nd Championship.

Bill Sharman turned 34 in 1961 and decided to retire, not a hard decision considering he'd won 4 Championships in the past 5 years. This would put Sam into the starting role where he would star alongside All-Time Great Bob Cousy. In the 61-62 Season Sam Jones would score over 1400 pts. on 30 minutes per game. Once again the Celtics would be celebrating in the summer months, as they would take home the championship yet again.

Over his 12 year career (all with The Celtics) Sam Jones would score 15,411 points, grab 4,305 rebounds, and dish out 2,209 assists. In 1984 Jones was selected into the Basketball HOF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3FrewumyKc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR7ceotp-Uk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJD1qa4IyJ0

Re: Players we should know more about: SAM JONES
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 01:23:52 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I sat and chatted with Sam Jones at a charity event a couple years back and he is an unbelievably nice guy. Still a die hard Celtic. What a cool thing to look a the Championship Ring he had on.

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 01:33:44 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I sat and chatted with Sam Jones at a charity event a couple years back and he is an unbelievably nice guy. Still a die hard Celtic. What a cool thing to look a the Championship Ring he had on.

which one was he wearing? if you remember...

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 02:02:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Great post, TP.  Always nice to learn a little more about those great Celtics who played before I was born.

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 02:21:21 PM »

Online makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I think that banner #17 made the "old" Celtics 5-10 years younger :)
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 03:02:56 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
One word class.

Thanks.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 03:46:13 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
One word class.

Thanks.
Yes both Jones "boys" are very classy guys.  This should have been a post before the top 25 celtics of all time.  I think a lot of posters don't know enough about the older guys and just how good they were (or how watered down the nba is now)

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 04:08:53 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

which one was he wearing? if you remember...

Unfortunately I don't. I was a little in awe of him and it was kind of a blur. It was a playoff game night and he said he was heading back to the room early to catch the game. Kind of cool.

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 04:25:53 PM »

Offline gustusias

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 41
Well, I was there. From his very first game. Like most rookies he never played much his first year. Red always broke them in easy. The Jones boys Johny Most would call them, Sad Sam or Sudden Sam and KC. Together they were an awsome 1-2- punch. KC couldn't hit the backboard, never mind the rim, but what a defensive tiger with a turbo engine, He was relentless, stuck like glue to the shirt of his opponent, and Sam is the best shooter I have ever seen. Ask any oldtimer and he will say the same. Off the backboard. Uncanny. From everywhere. Not only that, he was clutch. He and Cowens will always be two of my favorites. My buddy and I would wait after the games for the players to come out of the dressing rooms. Sam and Satch would take the train from North Station to Dudley Street. We got off at Eggleston. It was our favorite part of the game, waiting for them when it was over. They always sat with us nicely and, yeah, to 11 year olds it was really cool. Today, those kind of things probably never happen.