Author Topic: Lauri Markkanen  (Read 8872 times)

Lauri Markkanen
« on: April 07, 2020, 02:59:07 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
So it looks like Lauri Markkanen is unhappy in Chicago. 

https://nypost.com/2020/04/06/lauri-markkanen-wants-off-bulls-if-they-dont-make-big-changes/

Any chance we could swing a deal for him?  I wouldn't give the Memphis pick because I want a shot at Vernon Carey and if we cant get him I want Isaiah Stewart.  So keeping the 17th pick we still have picks 26 and 30, plus players.   

Re: Lauri Markkanen
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 03:08:41 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
He's an ideal big man for CSB's system, and his timeline fits very well with Tatum and Brown.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 04:22:54 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
It won’t be cheap, we can’t get him
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 05:29:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I must have missed where he became a player that's so good he can dictate he be traded. 

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 06:12:23 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I was very high on him until this season when he declined in most areas.  Maybe it's because he was unhappy and maybe he'd be rejuvenated elsewhere.  His health has got to be a concern at this point.  He's played in 68, 52, and 50 games.  I guess I'd like to take a chance on him but I wouldn't give up nearly as much as I would have given up a year ago.

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 06:21:17 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I must have missed where he became a player that's so good he can dictate he be traded.

Lauri Markkanen is certainly talented... I don't get where people think he's not that good...

I don't even get what Boylen is doing with his offense. He literally forces Lauri to camp at the 3 point line which really undermines his offensive ability. He also has played with Dunn/Lavine, neither who are world beaters at the passing department. While Dunn is strictly a defensive PG, sometimes when he played with Lauri, he seemed unable to make the right plays to allow him to score.

I would absolutely love to bring him here... He fits the perfect mold for a stretch 4 or even the perfect 5, (I don't think his frame would be any sort of concern, since we practically use semi double teams to help trap defenders in our switch defense.)

In 2019, during the month of February, he literally broke historic monstrous numbers.

Markkanen finishes February, in 10 games, averaging 25.7 points, 12.1 rebounds and 2.4 3-pointers in 36.3 minutes per game. He was dominant throughout the month, posting four 30-point games (he had two through his first 29 games this season) and had double-doubles in all but two games, and in those two he had nine rebounds in each.

It's putting him in some wild territory: Heading into March, Markkanen is now averaging 19.3 points, 9.1 rebounds and 2.4 3-pointers in 39 games. Were he to bump his triples up slightly, he'd become the first player in NBA history to average 19-9-2.5. They're odd thresholds, but it's still impressive to consider that no one - not even stretch forwards like Dirk Nowtizki, Kevin Love or Chris Bosh - ever reached those numbers. And, of course, Markkanen would do it at 21 years old.

He won't come cheap, but hopefully his desire to be traded basically forces Chicago to make a decision on either changing the entire front office or letting go of a young player who is talented beyond measure and is WASTING his potential with a team that doesn't know how to use a gifted big.

I was very high on him until this season when he declined in most areas.  Maybe it's because he was unhappy and maybe he'd be rejuvenated elsewhere.  His health has got to be a concern at this point.  He's played in 68, 52, and 50 games.  I guess I'd like to take a chance on him but I wouldn't give up nearly as much as I would have given up a year ago.

Well, I believe bringing him here allows him to be more flexible, and create offense that is tailored for him. We could also use other players to allow him to get the needed rest. Also when he broke his pelvis, he told the front office that he wanted to play despite concerns from front office after there were rumors that they were trying to 'tank,' again for a top PG/forward.

__

This is where Boylen's incompetence once again comes through.

Lauri played 29.8 MPG with an injured oblique the entire season. Not only does that severely limit your movement, explosiveness, but also forces most players out of the season/action.

KC Johnson: Here’s another sign that this Markkanen move is largely precautionary: Told that if this were playoffs, he’d be playing. And as recently as this morning, Markkanen insisted he could play tonight. One benefit: This rest will give time for his ankle to heal.

KC Johnson: Jim Boylen said Lauri Markkanen is fighting through a sore oblique and has been dealing with it for 2 weeks. Yesterday was first time team disclosed it.

This is a quote from Lauri two weeks ago after he was asked by a reporter why he wasn't playing the high post (where he has excelled in the past)?

"“We do have a different offense, and we're trying to figure out where the offense is coming from, where your spots are,” Markkanen said. “I'm not running that much in the post right now. I'm more on the perimeter as part of our offense. But we're trying to figure it out and get to our spots."
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 06:32:13 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 06:45:26 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Lauri Markkanen is certainly talented... I don't get where people think he's not that good...
not saying he's not good nor am I saying I wouldn't like to have him on the C's.  what I'm saying is that I don't think he's reached superstar status where he's in a position (if there even is such a thing) to dictate changes to the team he plays for.  Other than a player who is the type that can put a team on his back to win a title, I don't think anyone else should be in a position to even think they can dictate changes. 

voice displeasure, sure.  more than that, no.

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 06:56:31 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

not saying he's not good nor am I saying I wouldn't like to have him on the C's.  what I'm saying is that I don't think he's reached superstar status where he's in a position (if there even is such a thing) to dictate changes to the team he plays for.  Other than a player who is the type that can put a team on his back to win a title, I don't think anyone else should be in a position to even think they can dictate changes. 

I like the fact the NBA has changed to a point where players with promise, potential, or at least perennial All-Star status has more lee-way/power to force hands. It's a far cry from when only superstar players could determine their future. Now players who voice their opinions can at least get a change of direction or at least some sensibility regarding roster developments.

Also in regards to your bolded, to each their own I guess. I don't like it when owners that are multi-millionaires or billionaires get upset when certain players don't want to conventionally stay with a team that inherently sucks.

I mean by that logic, Paul Pierce wasn't considered by your definition, the kind of guy who could put a team on his back to win a title, so did he have the right to demand to be traded if KG didn't come here? (Before anyone attacks me for this comment, I think Pierce is championship caliber player, but the point is there are rarely any players that can win a championship by themselves without the right roster/team.)

And considering the incompetence of Paxson and the Chicago's front office which has been discussed for years now, I can see why he's getting frustrated playing for them.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 07:02:47 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 08:42:28 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

not saying he's not good nor am I saying I wouldn't like to have him on the C's.  what I'm saying is that I don't think he's reached superstar status where he's in a position (if there even is such a thing) to dictate changes to the team he plays for. Other than a player who is the type that can put a team on his back to win a title, I don't think anyone else should be in a position to even think they can dictate changes. 

I think that since he is in his third year the team has to make a decision on his next contract.  If he doesn't want to stay in Chicago they need to figure out a way to make him happy or prepare to have him leave. They can extend him like we did Brown this summer or let him move to free agency like we did Smart.  They basically have next year and then he's a RFA and do they try and match him? or does he play out that year and become unrestricted the next year.  It's a lot for a disorganized franchise to think about.  Now if they can get a nice package with some payers under contract maybe the go for it.  My question was basically if we could make an attractive package without giving up too much.  I don't want to give up the Memphis pick because we really need a physical presence in the paint and I think Vernon Carey or Isaiah Stewart can provide that and provide that faster than Robert Williams can as he seems to still be a ways off. .

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 11:02:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I like the fact the NBA has changed to a point where players with promise, potential, or at least perennial All-Star status has more lee-way/power to force hands. It's a far cry from when only superstar players could determine their future. Now players who voice their opinions can at least get a change of direction or at least some sensibility regarding roster developments.

Also in regards to your bolded, to each their own I guess. I don't like it when owners that are multi-millionaires or billionaires get upset when certain players don't want to conventionally stay with a team that inherently sucks.

I mean by that logic, Paul Pierce wasn't considered by your definition, the kind of guy who could put a team on his back to win a title, so did he have the right to demand to be traded if KG didn't come here? (Before anyone attacks me for this comment, I think Pierce is championship caliber player, but the point is there are rarely any players that can win a championship by themselves without the right roster/team.)

And considering the incompetence of Paxson and the Chicago's front office which has been discussed for years now, I can see why he's getting frustrated playing for them.
I agree on Pierce, especially since he was not on his rookie deal.  He can voice displeasure but he signed the contracts after his rookie deal ended and I expected him to honor that whether he liked the situation or not.  Markannen is no different other than he's still on his rookie deal.

if he's that unhappy, play better.  improve his play where he can make his teammates better.   if he's unhappy at the end of his deal, move on to a new situation then.

I'm not worried about how the owners feel.  I look at this as a fan that expects players that sign deals to honor them.  if they don't like the situation, complain behind closed doors. 

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 11:34:06 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
It won’t be cheap, we can’t get him

Sure we can. He is on his rookie contract and we have plenty of 1st round picks to offer.

Romeo, Poirier,  and a few 1st round picks.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 11:44:12 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Like the player but the price might be high. He has potential but he has also had injuries. He does fit the system here.

If the C's aren't dealing Hayward for a PF or SG then trading for a young PF that is somewhat proven is a good idea since the team will soon be hampered by the cap for a few years. Good to get one before they become too much to sign later.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 12:25:26 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

https://nypost.com/2020/04/06/lauri-markkanen-wants-off-bulls-if-they-dont-make-big-changes/

Any chance we could swing a deal for him?  I wouldn't give the Memphis pick because I want a shot at Vernon Carey and if we cant get him I want Isaiah Stewart.  So keeping the 17th pick we still have picks 26 and 30, plus players.

Seems like noise to fill a sports column. The Bulls have a new GM and we should expect a roster shake up. This may or may not involve Markkanen getting traded but I do not suspect the Bulls just move him because he isn't happy.

Its hard to figure a package the Cs could put together that would incite the Bulls. One team that might make sense would be the Hawks. If they do not want to pay Collins maybe they flip him for Markkanen and additional assets.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 12:36:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Vernon Carey (who I would not draft) will be available at 30, maybe even 2nd round.  Giving up Memphis pick likely would not jeopardize C's ability to draft him (or Stewart for that matter).

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2020, 01:05:19 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm in. I think they like Carter Jr. and they think they found something Gafford as their possible 5s in the future.

The Kornet and Young signings were odd because it was clear they would take Markannen's minutes.

Not sure they like him as much, but that's their stupidity. He's a legitimate talent. I've always thought he was a lot like a more bouncy Gallinari.