Poll

Do you think the Celtics should sign someone for the playoff run?

Yes
2 (66.7%)
No
1 (33.3%)
Depends on who they can get....
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Allen Crabbe anyone?  (Read 9937 times)

Re: Allen Crabbe anyone?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2020, 04:58:35 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Anthony Tolliver?

"Sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium: Kings and forward Anthony Tolliver are finalizing a contract buyout that allows Tolliver to pursue opportunities with playoff contenders. March 1 is deadline for players to be released and playoff-eligible."

He’d add more than Poirier, but he wouldn’t get minutes.

Might just want to pick up some vets that Brad will trust to play in a pinch. He doesn't seem to trust the young guys he has now.
Rookie Grant Williams played 14 minutes and rookie Romeo Langford played 11 minutes. Veteran Kanter did not play. This against one of the top 8 teams in the league.

Not sure your observation of Stevens trusting young guys holds water.

All the starters were over 40 minutes except Theis at 39. Only Westbrook was over 40 for Houston. Our bench took 4 shots combined in an overtime game and Houston had two players off there bench that played over 20 minutes a piece. I assumed Kanter was still working back from injury.

I think we can all agree we need more from the bench.
And if our All-Star, All-NBA guard was healthy, Smart would have been contributing from the bench and everyone's minutes might have been lessen.

Also, let's be correct about Houston's minutes. Both Harden and Westbrook were over 40 minutes and two players had 39 minutes. Both teams had their starters playing big minutes not just one.

While I have said since pre-season that this team would be limited due to lack of experience off the bench, I was wrong. Even with this bench, if healthy, this team can go as far as they want.

Stevens has shown trust in letting 21and 20  year old rookies play important rotational minutes in a game that was as close to a playoff atmosphere as you are going to get in the regular season. The same was true for the Lakers game. Who Stevens didn't trust to play yesterday was veteran Enes Kanter.

Want to complain about the overall quality, overall experience of the bench, okay, I get that. But complaining about Stevens trust in his young guys is just not based in reality.  Grant and Romeo are both 21 and younger and getting rotational minutes in playoff like games. Stevens trusted Tatum and Brown with rotational playoff minutes in 2018 when they were 21 and 19. Stevens played Smart 30 MPG from his rookie year on.

Stevens puts his trust in young players...especially those that prove they can play top notch NBA defense.

I was looking at a box that said 39 for Harden but ESPN says 41. Tatum and Smart led all players with 45 minutes each and Brown was third with 44. My main point is that the bench gave us nothing in this game. Four points in a one point over time game is not acceptable bench production. It would also be nice to have depth in case of injury. It might not be as big of an issue with TIMELORD and Kemba coming back but it sure would be nice to have a 10pt a game scorer coming off the bench.

I think we are saying the same thing. Brad plays the guys he trusts regardless of age but he doesn't trust what he has on the bench now. When I said "young guys" I should've said bench guys there. Wanamaker is certainly not a young guy...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 05:04:04 PM by liam »

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2020, 07:52:08 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Troy Daniels waived... I’d prefer they take a flyer on him

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2020, 09:01:27 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

He's averaging more points this year than our whole bench had last night....

Probably can't defend if he's coming from the Lakers?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 09:08:21 PM by liam »

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2020, 10:49:17 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Anthony Tolliver?

"Sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium: Kings and forward Anthony Tolliver are finalizing a contract buyout that allows Tolliver to pursue opportunities with playoff contenders. March 1 is deadline for players to be released and playoff-eligible."

Might just want to pick up some vets that Brad will trust to play in a pinch. He doesn't seem to trust the young guys he has now.
Rookie Grant Williams played 14 minutes and rookie Romeo Langford played 11 minutes. Veteran Kanter did not play. This against one of the top 8 teams in the league.

All the starters were over 40 minutes except Theis at 39. Only Westbrook was over 40 for Houston. Our bench took 4 shots combined in an overtime game and Houston had two players off there bench that played over 20 minutes a piece. I assumed Kanter was still working back from injury.

And if our All-Star, All-NBA guard was healthy, Smart would have been contributing from the bench and everyone's minutes might have been lessen.

Also, let's be correct about Houston's minutes. Both Harden and Westbrook were over 40 minutes and two players had 39 minutes. Both teams had their starters playing big minutes not just one.

While I have said since pre-season that this team would be limited due to lack of experience off the bench, I was wrong. Even with this bench, if healthy, this team can go as far as they want.

Stevens has shown trust in letting 21and 20  year old rookies play important rotational minutes in a game that was as close to a playoff atmosphere as you are going to get in the regular season. The same was true for the Lakers game. Who Stevens didn't trust to play yesterday was veteran Enes Kanter.

Want to complain about the overall quality, overall experience of the bench, okay, I get that. But complaining about Stevens trust in his young guys is just not based in reality.  Grant and Romeo are both 21 and younger and getting rotational minutes in playoff like games. Stevens trusted Tatum and Brown with rotational playoff minutes in 2018 when they were 21 and 19. Stevens played Smart 30 MPG from his rookie year on.

Stevens puts his trust in young players...especially those that prove they can play top notch NBA defense.

I was looking at a box that said 39 for Harden but ESPN says 41. Tatum and Smart led all players with 45 minutes each and Brown was third with 44. My main point is that the bench gave us nothing in this game. Four points in a one point over time game is not acceptable bench production. It would also be nice to have depth in case of injury. It might not be as big of an issue with TIMELORD and Kemba coming back but it sure would be nice to have a 10pt a game scorer coming off the bench.

I think we are saying the same thing. Brad plays the guys he trusts regardless of age but he doesn't trust what he has on the bench now. When I said "young guys" I should've said bench guys there. Wanamaker is certainly not a young guy...

I seem to remember Marv Albert call Wanamaker young

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2020, 11:14:27 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Anthony Tolliver?

I seem to remember Marv Albert call Wanamaker young

Everyone is young compared to Marv...

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2020, 11:38:06 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Daniels is a shooter, can he defend?

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 12:04:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I can't remember him being a good defender, but he's an amazing shooter. All he really does on offence is hit threes, but that's kinda all we need in my opinion
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2020, 12:11:55 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I can't remember him being a good defender, but he's an amazing shooter. All he really does on offence is hit threes, but that's kinda all we need in my opinion
^^^this. He's not a positive on defence, but he won't hurt you on that end. We really need a guy like him who can reliably hit threes at a high rate to make defences pay for collapsing on our creators.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2020, 12:12:37 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Maybe Brad can turn him into a passible defender and we do need a shooter, even a streaky one that can get out from time to time...

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2020, 12:16:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Maybe Brad can turn him into a passible defender and we do need a shooter, even a streaky one that can get out from time to time...
Yeah, Brad has always found a way to hide weak defenders. A merely average defender like Daniels would be easy
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2020, 12:59:06 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Just imagine this Celtics team with Eddie House.

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2020, 11:32:49 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Just imagine this Celtics team with Eddie House.

A streaky shooter off the bench would be mighty handy. Maybe Romeo can pick up some offensive confidence in some of these next games against some of the weaker teams we face. 

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2020, 11:46:59 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Crabbe and Daniels both should be considered. As much as I like Green Langford seems to have jumped him on the depth chart and it appears like he will be the a victim of the roster crunch next off-season. Makes more sense to bring in a vet who might be able to contribute a few minutes shooting the ball in the playoffs.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2020, 01:03:30 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I don't think people understand how bad Troy Daniels is on defense...

2 years ago, he was in the bottom percentile (117.3 defensive rating,) along with.... Surprise, surprise. Dion Waiters.

Ironically, Daniels just got waived for Dion Waiters. (Or in the process currently as Waiters is doing several work outs for the Lakers.)

That being said, I'm 100% okay with giving up one of our late first rounders and a second rounder for Bertans. Heck, I'll throw in another 2nd rounder. Bertans would help this team space the floor, and he has the height to at least be able to contest shots.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2020, 01:07:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think people understand how bad Troy Daniels is on defense...

2 years ago, he was in the bottom percentile along with.... Surprise, surprise. Dion Waiters.

Ironically, Daniels just got waived for Dion Waiters. (Or in the process currently as Waiters is doing several work outs for the Lakers.)

Why sign Waiters? I don’t get it for the Lakers. He’s a headcase, in a lockerroom of headcase.

Maybe Lebron is just trying to p--- off Kyrie.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes