Author Topic: Trade Deadline Ideas: Post Ideas here instead of the Rumors/News Thread  (Read 13377 times)

Re: Trade Deadline Ideas: Post Ideas here instead of the Rumors/News Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2020, 12:31:30 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
An idea I'd like to work that probably doesn't.

Celtics get: Bogdan Bogdanovich
Kings get: Edwards, Poirier, Memphis pick

Why we do it: Bogdanovich is a legitimate wing scorer who also plays some defense. Not Semi level, but he competes hard. I remember playing the Pacers in the playoffs last year after Oladipo was injured, when he was their #1 scoring option. He was overmatched in that role, but he still scored some, even when we gameplanned to stop him; as a #2 or 3 option, often against second units? He'll provide plenty of scoring punch and won't shrink on the big stage. Against the right matchup, he could easily go for 20.

Why the Kings do it: Bogdanovich has a year left on his deal, and although they have his RFA rights their other huge contracts make it really hard to pay him what he'll command. They get a mid-first round pick and Edwards under contract for 3 years. They seem to like bombers.  If they don't like Edwards and want Langford or Semi instead, I could see subbing one of them in for Edwards, although in that case I would want to give a lower pick.

Where I think this falls apart (aside from Divac wanting to keep a really good Serbian player, and Bogdan probably wanting to start) is that the Celtics can't pay him next year either.  That last one is, to me, the big stopping point. But if a capologist can correct me and we could retain him I think we could get around the other problems. I'd be more willing to up the offer, and I think we could find 30 minutes for him, especially as Gordon ages or leaves.

If the Cs thought they could keep him for another contract, he would make the team even more incredibly hard to guard. We'd always have a capable scorer in a mismatch, plenty of depth against injuries, and insurance if Gordon bolts.

And all the guys who say we have too many wings would lose their minds!  Probably the cap forcesus to try for a lesser player but man that lineup would slay.

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2020, 12:40:37 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I can’t wait to see what Drummond actually goes for when so many fans in Boston ( mostly not Celtics fans first) wanted to give them Hayward for him.

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2020, 12:41:58 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I’d do Theis, Langford, Edwards,Kanter, Robert Williams and all our 1sts in a deal to get Myles Turner if we could afford to keep our big 4, Turner and smart
Let me be more clear. I basically mean I would trade any chosen combination of players that makes a trade financial possible to the point of it even weakening us THIS year.
Salary-wise, Theis + Kanter + Langford for Turner is a valid trade. Problem is, the Pacers would have zero incentive to do a 3 for 1. We'd have to find a 3rd team. Not the easiest thing to do, but it's certainly possible.

(click on image to enlarge)

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=v3of8gd

Feel free to add pick(s) if you see fit. It also works with the Kings (instead of the Wizards) for Bogdanovic and with the Knicks for Marcus Morris.

The C's would then have 2 roster spots available to sign players via the buyout market.

Quote from: the Ringer
One name to watch on the buyout market is Ian Mahinmi, who could become available

Let's say we sign Mahinmi and some other guy.

rotation come playoff time

Kemba (36) - Smart (12)
Brown (36) - Smart (12)
Hayward (36) - Smart (12)
Tatum (36) - Semi/Grant (12)
Turner (36) - Mahinmi/Poirier/Timelord (12)

If you ask me, this is a championship-caliber team.

Other (unlikely) options via the buyout market might be Tristan Thompson and Derrick Favors. Worst case scenario, we can always sign Keneth Farried. He wasn't half bad last season with the Rockets averaging 13 points and 8 rebs in 24.4 mins of playing time. His defense sucks, but he's a good rebounder + pick n roll threat. Fwiw, Noah, Amir and Zaza are also free agents.
I think we are better staying with what we have than to go for Turner.
Both on-court product and asset wise.
Turner seems weak somehow.

Also roster spots. The lineup lists 11 players, but no mention of Wanamaker, Edwards, and Green. Yeah agree with nick, this is really looking fantasy land right now.

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2020, 12:58:28 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Why we do it: Bogdanovich is a legitimate wing scorer who also plays some defense. Not Semi level, but he competes hard. I remember playing the Pacers in the playoffs last year after Oladipo was injured, when he was their #1 scoring option. He was overmatched in that role, but he still scored some, even when we gameplanned to stop him; as a #2 or 3 option, often against second units? He'll provide plenty of scoring punch and won't shrink on the big stage. Against the right matchup, he could easily go for 20.
That was Bojan Bogdanovic, not Bogdan. Bojan is the one playing for the Jazz this season. He sucks big time on D.

Imo, Bogdan is the better player between the two. Bojan is the better shooter/scorer, Bogdan is better at pretty much everything else.

I'm a big fan of Bogdan's game. Thing is, we would be using him mostly off the ball. Would it be worth it to sacrifice the Memphis pick for a guy we'd be mostly using off the ball? It seems like an overkill to me. Sort of like the Cavs situation with LeBron, Kyrie and Love when they were parking Love in the corner as an off-ball shooter.

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2020, 01:23:21 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

That was Bojan Bogdanovic, not Bogdan. Bojan is the one playing for the Jazz this season. He sucks big time on D.

Imo, Bogdan is the better player between the two. Bojan is the better shooter/scorer, Bogdan is better at pretty much everything else.

I'm a big fan of Bogdan's game. Thing is, we would be using him mostly off the ball. Would it be worth it to sacrifice the Memphis pick for a guy we'd be mostly using off the ball? It seems like an overkill to me. Sort of like the Cavs situation with LeBron, Kyrie and Love when they were parking Love in the corner as an off-ball shooter.

There's just no way the Cs do that trade. Bogdan is going to get a 20+ million dollar contract this off-season. The Cs can't and won't match that. He'd be a rental. That's a lot to trade for a rental, especially a rental position at which we have most depth in the league.

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2020, 01:31:13 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
I’d do Theis, Langford, Edwards,Kanter, Robert Williams and all our 1sts in a deal to get Myles Turner if we could afford to keep our big 4, Turner and smart
Let me be more clear. I basically mean I would trade any chosen combination of players that makes a trade financial possible to the point of it even weakening us THIS year.
Salary-wise, Theis + Kanter + Langford for Turner is a valid trade. Problem is, the Pacers would have zero incentive to do a 3 for 1. We'd have to find a 3rd team. Not the easiest thing to do, but it's certainly possible.

(click on image to enlarge)

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=v3of8gd

Feel free to add pick(s) if you see fit. It also works with the Kings (instead of the Wizards) for Bogdanovic and with the Knicks for Marcus Morris.

The C's would then have 2 roster spots available to sign players via the buyout market.

Quote from: the Ringer
One name to watch on the buyout market is Ian Mahinmi, who could become available

Let's say we sign Mahinmi and some other guy.

rotation come playoff time

Kemba (36) - Smart (12)
Brown (36) - Smart (12)
Tatum (36) - Semi/Grant (12)
Turner (36) - Mahinmi/Poirier/Timelord (12)

If you ask me, this is a championship-caliber team.

Other (unlikely) options via the buyout market might be Tristan Thompson and Derrick Favors. Worst case scenario, we can always sign Keneth Farried. He wasn't half bad last season with the Rockets averaging 13 points and 8 rebs in 24.4 mins of playing time. His defense sucks, but he's a good rebounder + pick n roll threat. Fwiw, Noah, Amir and Zaza are also free agents.
I think we are better staying with what we have than to go for Turner.
Both on-court product and asset wise.
Turner seems weak somehow.

Also roster spots. The lineup lists 11 players, but no mention of Wanamaker, Edwards, and Green. Yeah agree with nick, this is really looking fantasy land right now.
Did you even bother to read what I wrote before posting your response?

I was trying to figure out our rotation come playoff time. Really don't think Edwards and Green are gonna be part of our rotation in the playoffs (unless of course we face an injury crisis). Wanamaker might be playing a minimal role, but that's about it.

The same goes for Poirier and Timelord. Only reason I included 3 backup Centers was that imo none of them stands out as the clearly better choice. Depending on matchups, I could see any of them playing a minimal role. Mahinmi is probably the better player, but it seems to me that he has regressed since his younger days.

Depth is important in the regular season. It means way less in the post season. It's usual for teams to go with an 8-man rotation. The idea is to use your best players as much as possible.

Kemba (36 minutes) - Smart (12)
Brown (36) - Smart (12)
Tatum (36) - Semi (12)
Turner (36) - Mahinmi (12)

I could see Grant earning some minutes as well.

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2020, 01:48:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
DAnny has to be mindful that Kanter, Theis, Poirier and not in good health Timelord is not going to cut it vs a physical series vs

76ers, Bucks or even the Raptors

Someone like a Richuan Holmes would be a clever pickup

time is running out and holding onto non lotto 1st round picks...   

Danny can't sit back

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2020, 01:52:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Should Turner get his buyout from the Timberwolves, his former employer—the Celtics—would be interested in bringing him back, a source told Heavy.com. Turner had two productive seasons with Boston in 2014-15 and 2015-16, during which he averaged 10.0 points, 5.0 rebounds and 5.0 assists. He was a valuable asset off the bench, particularly as a secondary ballhandler in relief of and alongside point guard Isaiah Thomas. 2 hours ago – via Sean Deveney @ Heavy.com
Evan Turner and his camp is probably the folks that told Heavy this

no thanks to bringing back Turner. 

He has truly lost a step.  Poor job in his part not to keep his body in better shape

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2020, 01:56:42 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Should Turner get his buyout from the Timberwolves, his former employer—the Celtics—would be interested in bringing him back, a source told Heavy.com. Turner had two productive seasons with Boston in 2014-15 and 2015-16, during which he averaged 10.0 points, 5.0 rebounds and 5.0 assists. He was a valuable asset off the bench, particularly as a secondary ballhandler in relief of and alongside point guard Isaiah Thomas. 2 hours ago – via Sean Deveney @ Heavy.com

He has truly lost a step.  Poor job in his part not to keep his body in better shape

I agree. He looks about 20 pounds heavier. Wanamaker is a better option right now. He's a tough defender on switches and can shoot the three.

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2020, 02:01:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I agree. He looks about 20 pounds heavier. Wanamaker is a better option right now. He's a tough defender on switches and can shoot the three.

absolutely

If bought out, I think thats all she wrote for ET

super lucky how he cashed out the way he did in 2016

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2020, 02:25:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
A nice upgrade, and yes I have mentioned this elsewhere, would be Danny moving maybe Edwards and the Milwaukee pick for Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk of Detroit.

2nd year player coming into his own. Excellent size for SG though not great wingspan. Decent burst but really only a straight line driver. Elite shooting form and ability. Decent defender.

He is shooting 42.5% from three on 4.8 attempts a game. For players shooting 4 or more threes a game, he is 10th in the league. He hits FTs at an 85.2% rate. Scores about 9 PPG.

He is that sharpshooter this team needs and he has been in trade rumors so maybe Pistons will listen as they are probably in blow it up and get picks mode at this point.

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2020, 02:37:51 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
A nice upgrade, and yes I have mentioned this elsewhere, would be Danny moving maybe Edwards and the Milwaukee pick for Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk of Detroit.

2nd year player coming into his own. Excellent size for SG though not great wingspan. Decent burst but really only a straight line driver. Elite shooting form and ability. Decent defender.

He is shooting 42.5% from three on 4.8 attempts a game. For players shooting 4 or more threes a game, he is 10th in the league. He hits FTs at an 85.2% rate. Scores about 9 PPG.

He is that sharpshooter this team needs and he has been in trade rumors so maybe Pistons will listen as they are probably in blow it up and get picks mode at this point.
I am all aboard the Svi train, but I always have a hard time understanding why teams would move on at that stage. If I was a GM, a 2nd year role player shooting 42.5% from 3 on volume that makes 1.5 mil a year through next year is worth his weight in gold. Why would I move him for anything but an overpay? Granted the Pistons are straight up dumb sometimes.

Either way sign me up for Svi.
#JKJB

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2020, 02:44:12 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Wrong thread

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2020, 03:11:48 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
It seems that Danny believes the #1 priority is adding a shooter off the bench. Fair enough.

How about Glenn Robinson III? He's shooting 40% from 3 in 3.5 attempts per game this season.

Quote from: Marc Stein
Golden State is widely expected to trade Alec Burks and/or Glenn Robinson III this week

Quote from: Anthony Slater @ The Athletic
From a contract standpoint, Glenn Robinson is in the same boat as Burks — a veteran wing on an expiring minimum deal. But there’s a sense within the franchise that Robinson is a more likely fit as a ninth man next season than Burks, who is seeking a larger free-agency payday, one source said. Robinson could help some contenders as a capable 3-and-D option for 25 minutes a night. He’d fit great in Houston. But unless the Warriors are blown away on an offer, it could be more beneficial to keep a wing you want to retain in the program, getting adjusted to Curry, feeling a part of the franchise’s long-term outlook.

Green + pick (hopefully our Nets 2020 second) for Glenn Robinson III works in the trade machine.

The Warriors are looking for draft picks. They would be saving money as well (with regards to the luxury tax).

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2020, 03:12:54 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Burks or Robinson make sense.