Author Topic: Rockets Are Shopping Capela  (Read 22223 times)

Re: Rockets Are Shopping Capela
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2020, 03:43:14 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I know the Rockets would like another wing player, and preferably a scorer. But wouldn't trading Capela just create another hole for them at the center position??
I also don’t get it , why they want to trade him?

If Capela isn't anchoring their defense...
And if Harden could make most guys into effect lob threats...

Then it makes sense to run role players like Chandler, Theis, etc. out there instead and get a high level defensive wing to go against Lebron, Leonard, and George.

They trust Tucker to anchor their defense inside in stretches. Maybe they also have a bead on a guy they think will be a buyout candidate (Thompson? Biyumbo? Mahinmi?)

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2020, 03:44:38 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Didn't Capela have a bad playoffs last year and was found sitting an awful lot against GSW because GSW's small ball lineup made Capela a point of attack? I could be wrong but I think I remember that correctly.

From what I recall it was more to do with offensive spacing.

Capela has always been a solid perimeter defender for a big. But offensively he's limited to being a roll man and getting putbacks, which was a problem for them given Harden doesn't really like to play in the PnR and Houston's wings couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, thus really cramping the court for Harden.

Houston benching Capela felt more like a desperate attempt to boost their offense at the expense of their defense. It was a byproduct of their wings being terrible. I guess D'Antoni felt if he went smaller it would mask that problem (which it didn't).

I vaguely recall Draymond (and other GSW bigs - Looney?) bullying Capela down low on both ends, and lots of people were calling Capela soft and a liability as a result lol. Basically he was Dunk or struggle to finish any non-dunk because of the physicality, or something like that. It wasn't just spacing. Then came the benching. Been a long time, might be wrong.

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2020, 03:46:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Adrian Wojnarowski: ESPN Sources: Another team engaged with the Houston Rockets in trade talks for center Clint Capela: The Boston Celtics. – via Twitter wojespn

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2020, 03:48:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Adrian Wojnarowski: ESPN Sources: Another team engaged with the Houston Rockets in trade talks for center Clint Capela: The Boston Celtics. – via Twitter wojespn

Keep in mind, Woj does not have reliable Boston sources, as evident from the Horford Free Agency period and other instances since.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2020, 03:50:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Keep in mind, Woj does not have reliable Boston sources, as evident from the Horford Free Agency period and other instances since.

agreed

Maybe its the Rockets org blowing smoke

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2020, 03:56:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Capella is a logical target for the C's given he doesn't require Smart/Hayward to go out. I'm not sure it'll happen but the Rockets trying to get picks to reroute for him from the Celtics would fit what the Rockets are seeking.

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2020, 03:57:37 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Boston gets Capela

Send Theis OR Kanter, Romeo and one more small contract plus 1 first and 1 second rounder to Houston.

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2020, 04:01:18 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Boston gets Capela

Send Theis OR Kanter, Romeo and one more small contract plus 1 first and 1 second rounder to Houston.
Hard to imagine the Rockets doing this. They are looking to trade Capela while still bringing in a wing who can help them contend this year. Langford has potential for the future but doesn't move the needle at all for them in the short term.

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2020, 04:02:21 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I really dont think any deal is gonna include Langford unless the Rocket, Wolves ect really value him highly. I'd have to think his value is  at a near low give how little he's played and you arent including the #14 pick merely as salary fodder only half a season after drafting him. Now if some team values him over say the MEM pick then sure, but the Celtics won't treat him as a "no value" piece.

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2020, 04:02:23 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
Capella is a logical target for the C's given he doesn't require Smart/Hayward to go out. I'm not sure it'll happen but the Rockets trying to get picks to reroute for him from the Celtics would fit what the Rockets are seeking.
The thing is, he probably does. Think about it: the Rockets are trying to win now. Why would they trade Capela for young players and picks? It just doesn't seem like something Morey would do.

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2020, 04:02:27 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I do not think Houston makes just the deal with the Celtics. Think they take what Boston sends to them and moves it out for a wing

Hayward is not getting traded. Houston has nothing to match his 32 million contract. Smart is too important to the team to be moved.

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2020, 04:03:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2020, 04:04:03 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
I do not think Houston makes just the deal with the Celtics. Think they take what Boston sends to them and moves it out for a wing
It's a possibility, but it seems like an awful lot of hoops to jump through. Those complicated deals rarely go through.

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2020, 04:04:35 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/01/clint-capela-expected-to-miss-more-time-with-heel-contusion/

Maybe this is why the Rockets are so eager to deal him

So he will fit in nicely with the hospital Celtics.

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2020, 04:04:51 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/01/clint-capela-expected-to-miss-more-time-with-heel-contusion/

Maybe this is why the Rockets are so eager to deal him
Which is why I really don't want him unless we can somehow steal him. The guy has had a lot of difficulty staying healthy in his career. He's a really good player when he's healthy but he has three years left on his deal after this year. Seems risky.