Author Topic: Rockets Are Shopping Capela  (Read 22109 times)

Re: Rockets Are Shopping Capela
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2020, 12:26:37 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I would be very hesitant to mess with the on-court mixture that this team has going right now.

The chemistry has been great and they've won some big games against quality opponents. 

Let's not mess with a good thing and see where this leads.

Adding a couple of bench pieces, I'm fine with that.  But I don't like the idea of making a significant  change to the top 5-6.
Let's face it: Where this leads is a second round playoff exit.

The C's are 3rd in the East. It's not as if we are taking the league by storm or anything.

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2020, 12:28:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I feel like Capela makes Boston the team to beat in the East.

East is wide open. No top teams in the East. Boston are right there already. Adding a guy like good solid big man like Capela could give them that little extra to move them ahead of the pack.

Um, I like the Green kool-aid as much as about anyone, but the Bucks are historically good this year.  Doesn’t mean they’re unbeatable, but to call the East wide open and without any top teams is, well, outside of reality.

Acquiring Capela without giving up a key player would likely move the Celtics to a different tier than the Raptors, Heat, Sixers, and Pacers, but in no way propels them to “top team in the East” status.

The Bucks are a "historically good" regular season team. That does not mean they will be a historically good postseason team.

They were a historically good regular season team last year too when they lost to a very good but unexceptional Toronto team.

That they got a lot to prove.

Has a Coach Bud team ever done better in the playoffs than the regular season record would suggest they would?

Bud's teams always seem to kill it in the regular season, but whatever it is about his system that allows his teams to dominate the regular season, it doesn't seem to bamboozle their playoff opponents.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2020, 12:30:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I would be very hesitant to mess with the on-court mixture that this team has going right now.

The chemistry has been great and they've won some big games against quality opponents. 

Adding a couple of bench pieces, I'm fine with that.  But I don't like the idea of making a significant  change to the top 5-6.

The C's are 3rd in the East. It's not as if we are taking the league by storm or anything.

Chances are that's correct.  However, we learned last year that chemistry is fickle and fragile. 

Many people thought this team would have to fight hard to win 50 games and might end up a 4, 5, or 6 seed headed for a 1st round exit.

To the extent that they look like a 55 win team with a chance at winning a second round playoff series, that may be a result of better than expected fit and chemistry.  I would be concerned that making a major change to the composition of the top group could throw that off course.

The core of the team is a pair of elite wings under 24 years old.  There's no need to go "all-in" this season.  So even if it turns out that they are a 2 or 3 seed headed for a second round loss, that's not the end of the world.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2020, 12:39:43 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Chances are that's correct.  However, we learned last year that chemistry is fickle and fragile.

Many people thought this team would have to fight hard to win 50 games and might end up a 4, 5, or 6 seed headed for a 1st round exit.

To the extent that they look like a 55 win team with a chance at winning a second round playoff series, that may be a result of better than expected fit and chemistry.  I would be concerned that making a major change to the composition of the top group could throw that off course.

The core of the team is a pair of elite wings under 24 years old.  There's no need to go "all-in" this season.  So even if it turns out that they are a 2 or 3 seed headed for a second round loss, that's not the end of the world.
What we learned last year is that a clever mid-season trade might propel a team to the top of the NBA. The Raps traded for Gasol and he helped them win their first champiosnhip.

The way I see it, if Danny believes that this team has a chance to contend this season, he should make a trade to upgrade the C position. If he thinks that we are 1-2 seasons away, I'm perfectly happy with our current roster.

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2020, 12:46:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The Raptors were all in on one year window though (and had a MVP caliber player to make a run with). Neither circumstances apply to the current Celtics.

FWIW I think that the C's look more like a ECF team than a second round exit, if they're not in the 4/5 bracket. Bucks are clear favorites but the C's have been the second best team in the conference by a decent margin.

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2020, 12:46:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

East is wide open. No top teams in the East. Boston are right there already. Adding a guy like good solid big man like Capela could give them that little extra to move them ahead of the pack.

Um, I like the Green kool-aid as much as about anyone, but the Bucks are historically good this year.  Doesn’t mean they’re unbeatable, but to call the East wide open and without any top teams is, well, outside of reality.

Acquiring Capela without giving up a key player would likely move the Celtics to a different tier than the Raptors, Heat, Sixers, and Pacers, but in no way propels them to “top team in the East” status.

The Bucks are a "historically good" regular season team. That does not mean they will be a historically good postseason team.

They were a historically good regular season team last year too when they lost to a very good but unexceptional Toronto team.

60 wins is not “historically good”.  It’s very good, a team that would be considered one of the favorites, but in an elite class amongst the teams throughout history.  Their net rating of 8.6 last year was once every 2-3 seasons good, but again not insurmountable.

This year’s team is on pace to be a top 3-5 team of all-time.  It has taken a significant step forward from last year’s squad.  It is historically good. Sure, it’s future has yet to be written, but to say that the conference is wide open and has no good teams, when one team will probably win the conference by 10 games... I’m really just speechless at this point.

A Capela trade with Kanter as the main outgoing salary has the potential to move them from the teams in the group of 2-6 beneath Milwaukee into the clear #2 on its own, but that’s it.  It’s an improvement, and would increase the Celtics’ chance to get through the Bucks in the playoffs, but Milwaukee would remain the prohibitive favorite.

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2020, 01:00:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Didn't Capela have a bad playoffs last year and was found sitting an awful lot against GSW because GSW's small ball lineup made Capela a point of attack? I could be wrong but I think I remember that correctly.

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2020, 01:17:03 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

What we learned last year is that a clever mid-season trade might propel a team to the top of the NBA. The Raps traded for Gasol and he helped them win their first champiosnhip.

Nah.  What we learned last year was the same thing that happens in nearly every single season:  Once you pare it down to the final four teams in the Conference Finals, the healthiest team almost always wins.

TOR doesn't win if GSW wasn't decimated by injuries.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
If we are 3rd seed why are you guys so sure we will defeat the sixers or the pacers with healthy Oladipo ?
We have to make sure we end up second.

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2020, 01:51:38 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Didn't Capela have a bad playoffs last year and was found sitting an awful lot against GSW because GSW's small ball lineup made Capela a point of attack? I could be wrong but I think I remember that correctly.

Well then I guess its fortunate for him that the Warriors are in shamble and there's no other small ball force out there right now. I dont see a team in the east thats really gonna play him off the floor.

I think we judge players too harshly based off whether they can hang against the Warriors, thats an all time team with like three of the bets shooter ever.

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2020, 01:53:56 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

60 wins is not “historically good”.  It’s very good, a team that would be considered one of the favorites, but in an elite class amongst the teams throughout history.  Their net rating of 8.6 last year was once every 2-3 seasons good, but again not insurmountable.

This year’s team is on pace to be a top 3-5 team of all-time.  It has taken a significant step forward from last year’s squad.  It is historically good. Sure, it’s future has yet to be written, but to say that the conference is wide open and has no good teams, when one team will probably win the conference by 10 games... I’m really just speechless at this point.

A Capela trade with Kanter as the main outgoing salary has the potential to move them from the teams in the group of 2-6 beneath Milwaukee into the clear #2 on its own, but that’s it.  It’s an improvement, and would increase the Celtics’ chance to get through the Bucks in the playoffs, but Milwaukee would remain the prohibitive favorite.

I agree completely. Do people just not realize they're on a 70 win pace? The average game for them is a 13 point win.

That said I don't think being the clear cut #2 team is bad, you probably make the ECF and are just like an ankle sprain to Giannis or Middletn from being right in it. Thats not a bad spot.

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2020, 03:35:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I know the Rockets would like another wing player, and preferably a scorer. But wouldn't trading Capela just create another hole for them at the center position??
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2020, 03:38:03 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

Yes, you're right.

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2020, 03:38:12 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I know the Rockets would like another wing player, and preferably a scorer. But wouldn't trading Capela just create another hole for them at the center position??
I also don’t get it , why they want to trade him?

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2020, 03:39:40 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

From what I recall it was more to do with offensive spacing.

Capela has always been a solid perimeter defender for a big. But offensively he's limited to being a roll man and getting putbacks, which was a problem for them given Harden doesn't really like to play in the PnR and Houston's wings couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, thus really cramping the court for Harden.

Houston benching Capela felt more like a desperate attempt to boost their offense at the expense of their defense. It was a byproduct of their wings being terrible. I guess D'Antoni felt if he went smaller it would mask that problem (which it didn't).