Author Topic: Cavs, potential 300 million - Why Boston will avoid the luxury tax this summer.  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22420673/cavaliers-face-300-million-dollar-future-espn

So in the piece, ESPN outlines what will happen if Cleveland re-signs Hood at 12 million and Lebron comes back this summer (they used his option salary amount of 35.6).  Along with the BKN pick (they used the 7th pick for salary) and free agent minimums to fill out the roster, the Cavs payroll would be 158.9 million (and that might be under selling the real cost).  However, since Cleveland will be paying the repeater tax for the first time, it will pay 149.2 million in luxury tax on that salary for a total payroll of 308.1 million. 

The Cavs were the only team that lost money last year, they will almost certainly lose money this year (190 million salary when accounting for the tax), and will basically write a luxury tax bill that will all be a loss next year in that scenario.  That isn't to say Gilbert won't do it or won't be able to find way to reduce some salary, but that is an insane proposition for any team.  It is also what Golden State faces in 2020, and why that team likely won't stay together forever.

This is why, the Celtics will do everything in their power to avoid paying the luxury tax this summer.  The longer you can avoid it, the longer it takes to get to the repeater tax zone, and the longer you can keep your core team together. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Windhorse/Lebron want to discretely instill in Cleveland's fanbase that Gilbert is cheap and "can't/won't pay that bill. Therefore making 2nd LBJ Cleveland escape more plausible for him.

Never trust anything he says, especially in these cases, where everything is made out of pure hypotheticals.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
An owner not willing to pay over $300M is considered cheap?  This is crazy.

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
100% agree DA is going to work hard to avoid the tax this summer. That was what I was piecing together in the below post

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=95362.0
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I wonder what Gilbert tax returns look like  ;D

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I can't imagine paying that much tax for a team not favored to win the championship.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I have been screaming this sentiment from the rooftops since the trade. In Clarkson and Hill, the Cavs are already adding a ton of salary over the next two years. People were so high on Hood, but there is no conceivable way they can keep him beyond this year.

If the Cavs win the championship this year, then kudos to them and I will admit I was wrong, but this trade actually has a pretty good chance of blowing up in their faces - at least as far as future salary obligations goes.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:08:02 AM by jambr380 »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I have been screaming this sentiment from the rooftops since the trade. In Clarkson and Hill, the Cavs are already adding a ton of salty over the next two years. People were so high on Hood, but there is no conceivable way they can keep him beyond this year.

If the Cavs won the championship this year, then kudos to them and I will admit I was wrong, but this trade actually has a pretty good chance of blowing up in their faces.

Saltover is such a cap expert we even calling salary salty?  :laugh:
ok fine

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I have been screaming this sentiment from the rooftops since the trade. In Clarkson and Hill, the Cavs are already adding a ton of salty over the next two years. People were so high on Hood, but there is no conceivable way they can keep him beyond this year.

If the Cavs won the championship this year, then kudos to them and I will admit I was wrong, but this trade actually has a pretty good chance of blowing up in their faces.

Ughhh - you caught me in the middle of my edit  :) I hate auto-correct, although I thought the same thing when I saw it!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:18:33 AM by jambr380 »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Dude I hate you!

LOL you made me spit out my coffee.

TP for the morning laugh.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
They make it to the finals every year....It doesn't matter

The true joy would be to see the Cavs eliminated in the first round and right after... camera close up of Lebron and Dan Gilberts face

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
They make it to the finals every year....It doesn't matter

The true joy would be to see the Cavs eliminated in the first round and right after... camera close up of Lebron and Dan Gilberts face

I hope they get Phillly.

Anyway, I think this is why we may lose Smart this summer. His number seems to be going down though.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Windhorse/Lebron want to discretely instill in Cleveland's fanbase that Gilbert is cheap and "can't/won't pay that bill. Therefore making 2nd LBJ Cleveland escape more plausible for him.

Never trust anything he says, especially in these cases, where everything is made out of pure hypotheticals.

8)

This guy gets it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I wouldn't be surprised if they find a way to unload Tristan Thompson and Kyle Korver somehow.

They may also explore trading Kevin Love for several cheaper younger pieces.

As valuable as TT and JR were for them in the 2016 Finals, this shows you why it's important not to drastically overpay for replaceable talent.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I wouldn't be surprised if they find a way to unload Tristan Thompson and Kyle Korver somehow.

They may also explore trading Kevin Love for several cheaper younger pieces.

As valuable as TT and JR were for them in the 2016 Finals, this shows you why it's important not to drastically overpay for replaceable talent.

It’s going to be hard for them to unload Thompson. Their best bet is moving Love for cheaper players and a pick or two.