Author Topic: Al Horford's rebound rate is 131st in the NBA. . . who will rebound?  (Read 9479 times)

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
According to ESPN, 131 NBA players have higher rebound rates than Al Horford:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/sort/reboundRate/page/3/qualified/false

Assuming Al starts, who plays next to him?  Can Amir and Al play together?  Kelly and Horford together would be a disaster.  How about Al and Crowder, will that work?

I like some of the things Al could bring to the Cs.  But not being able to finish defensive possessions because of poor rebounding will kill us.

Re: Al Horford's rebound rate is 131st in the NBA. . . who will rebound?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 03:43:46 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
This guy

On a serious note, I think Amir Johnson will probably get a lot of responsibility in regards to rebounding the basketball assuming that he sticks around.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 03:43:57 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
This is honestly my biggest fear for horford. He is a huge upgrade over sully in almost every regard, but subbing horford for sully makes us even worse at our rebounding problems.
#JKJB

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 03:44:52 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
This is where Sully is somewhat underrated imo.  He's young.  Very affordable by todays standards.  Howard would be an upgrade though. But he's also older, a poor free throw shooter.  Better rim protector and interior presence.  Sully is pretty underrated as an all around player though.  He can't shoot good percentages but is still young.

I think the cap is crazy where we can spend on a guy like Howard but I would be somewhat careful from a basketball standpoint.  The money is meaningless other than capping out on overrated players.

Howard also has personality issues.  We think Sully is bad lol.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 03:45:55 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I agree though.  Horford is a more proficient overall player than Sully but he's not as good a rebounder and is older. Howard would more be the rebounder to actually upgrade there. Between Horford and Howard that's a bump in rebounds and rim protection.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 03:46:12 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
This is where Sully is somewhat underrated imo.  He's young.  Very affordable by todays standards.  Howard would be an upgrade though. But he's also older, a poor free throw shooter.  Better rim protector and interior presence.  Sully is pretty underrated as an all around player though.  He can't shoot good percentages but is still young.

I think the cap is crazy where we can spend on a guy like Howard but I would be somewhat careful from a basketball standpoint.  The money is meaningless other than capping out on overrated players.

Howard also has personality issues.  We think Sully is bad lol.

We can't play Sullinger alongside Horford though, can we?  We'll never stop a pick-n-roll that way.  Lebron will destroy us.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 03:47:44 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
This guy

On a serious note, I think Amir Johnson will probably get a lot of responsibility in regards to rebounding the basketball assuming that he sticks around.

So you're thinking that Horford and Amir both start?  I don't think that will work.  They're both centers, even though I heard that Horford wants to play PF.  As he ages, will he really be able to defend P&Rs and switch on defense?  No way.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 03:51:32 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Horford is not as big a rebounder as Howard, partly because he shoots outside part of the time and isn't in position for a rebound. Howard is more of an inside player. Another factor is Horford plays next to Millsap, who is a good rebounder. Horford would probably rebound more on the Celtics, though probably not as much as Howard would. That's why I would probably also sign an inside player like Gasol, Biyombo or Ezeli.

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 03:54:30 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
Horford is not as big a rebounder as Howard, partly because he shoots outside part of the time and isn't in position for a rebound.

Well that only applies to offensive rebounding.  His defensive rebounding numbers are also really, really bad - 144th in that category:  http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/sort/defReboundRate/page/3/qualified/false
You are right about the Milsap effect though.  So the question is, who will be our Milsap?

That's why I would probably also sign an inside player like Gasol, Biyombo or Ezeli.

Yes!  This is exactly what we need, although not Gasol.  He's too duplicative of Horford.

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 04:05:07 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
This guy

So you're thinking that Horford and Amir both start?  I don't think that will work.  They're both centers, even though I heard that Horford wants to play PF.  As he ages, will he really be able to defend P&Rs and switch on defense?  No way.
I agree it's a long shot, but it could be considered if Brad made up some kind of constellation where Horford played PF on the offensive end and C on the defensive end (and Amir playing the opposite of Al). Amir is quick enough to guard the P&R so that could maybe be an option?

It will be interesting to see what will happen if we indeed sign Horford though.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 04:05:31 PM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
Pretty sure that playing alongside Millsap had a cannibalistic effect on his rebounding stats.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 04:06:03 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Hump can rebound. Lol
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 04:06:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He's a solid defensive rebounder, he just doesn't bother to go for offensive boards.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 04:08:35 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
He's a solid defensive rebounder, he just doesn't bother to go for offensive boards.

False.  He is 144th in defensive rebounding rate among all NBA players:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/sort/defReboundRate/page/3/qualified/false

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 04:14:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

False.  He is 144th in defensive rebounding rate among all NBA players:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/sort/defReboundRate/page/3/qualified/false

22.3 career defensive rebounding percentage, around 19-20 the last few years.

That's solid, not great. I wouldn't be worried about the rebounding with him at the five.

I'd love to have a monster on the boards at the five, but it's really hard to get a great rebounder who doesn't stink on offense.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain