Author Topic: Al Horford's rebound rate is 131st in the NBA. . . who will rebound?  (Read 9530 times)

Re: Al Horford's rebound rate is 131st in the NBA. . . who will rebound?
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2016, 08:26:15 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Eh, AH has a career rebound rate of 13.9 per 100 possessions. Sully's is 15.5. That's about 1 rebound difference per 36 minutes. If Sully had been playing with Millsap for most of his career, I'd guess they'd have about the same rate.

But AH effectively plays more minutes per game, which likely all together makes him a more valuable rebounder for a team to have.

ET was a decent rebounder, but TRoz is excellent, and I think JB should be good too. The whole team will have to work on it in order for it to be a strength of the team, but I think they'll be fine.

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2016, 08:29:14 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
According to ESPN, 131 NBA players have higher rebound rates than Al Horford:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/sort/reboundRate/page/3/qualified/false

Assuming Al starts, who plays next to him?  Can Amir and Al play together?  Kelly and Horford together would be a disaster.  How about Al and Crowder, will that work?

I like some of the things Al could bring to the Cs.  But not being able to finish defensive possessions because of poor rebounding will kill us.

THE SKY IS FALLING!    Guys like Thomas Robinson and Alan Williams are in the top 20. This means nothing.   Matt Costello of ATL is kiling it at 27% for 12th on the list.   

Horford can rebound just fine, he did play with a guy named Paul Milsap who was 22nd on that list.   His rebound stats dropped with Milsap came to ATL as he let Paul take over that aspect of the game.

Amoung active players he is 18th in rebound percentage.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/trb_pct_active.html

This preseason he is 15th in the league in overall rebounds take a look here:

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/stats?category=REBOUNDING&team=0

Sully wanted to go somewhere where he'd start and/or get minutes. Here he would have had to split time with Horford, Johnson, Jerebko, and Olynyk. Not to mention Brad will probably use Jaylen and Jae at the stretch 4 at various points throughout the season. In summary, Sully wouldn't have had much of a place on this current roster.

This is not true.   Ainge pulled the offer, it was not as if Sully had a choice to stay.

That's what makes it a hypothesis. I hypothesize that Ainge had talked up a 2-yr/8 mill. per with Sully first but Sully didn't want that, so he pulled the qualifying offer.

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2016, 09:42:16 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Rebound rates on an individual player basis are basically worthless as a tool to evaluate a players ability to rebound.  There are a ton of factors that either inhibit or amplify a players rebounding  numbers including how you are used on both ends of the floor, who you are on the floor with, how often you shoot, how far away from the hoop are you when you do shoot, are you asked to get back on defense rather than attack the glass, who you are defending and how often you are defending FGA.  Basically everything a player does or is asked to do within their role on a team has a dramatic effect on their ability to rebound.

Guys like Horford and Olynyk are not bad rebounders, it is their role within the structure of the team concept that is causing their rebound rates to be lower.  You can't offensive rebound when you are spotting up or facilitating the offense 25 feet from the hoop and then asked to get back and shut down transition on defense.  You can't defensive rebound as well when much of your defense is taking place 15 to 25 feet from the hoop and you are defending shot attempts at a very high volume.

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2016, 09:58:14 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I hypothesize that Ainge had talked up a 2-yr/8 mill. per with Sully first but Sully didn't want that, so he pulled the qualifying offer.

Hypothesize?   Hmmm.  I can see it as a hunch.   But a hypothesis is to "make a really good educated guess."  Usually they are based in facts, not conjecture, there is a difference between the two.

Ainge said:

Jared's a good kid and I'm grateful for what he gave us and I wish him well," Ainge told Himmelsbach. "I hope he gets a good opportunity. We just feel this is the best thing for our team."

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/07/danny_ainge_after_boston_celti.html

He also said this:
The thing that stinks about that is having to move on and move forward, both for him and us,” Stevens said. “But he’ll do great. Jared’s one of the more talented guys being able to get the ball off the glass, and he’s got beautiful touch and he’s a good guy, and so I think he’ll do well. I’m hopeful this move will benefit him as well, and I think it will."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2016/07/10/celtics-part-ways-with-jared-sullinger/0VF3Gms6EsL0Jy3TnPQDrI/story.html

It sure sounds like he had no intention of making an offer to him.  Time to move on and forward.   He gave him plenty of changes and he blew it especially on the conditioning and weight loss.

Horford cleaned their clock most every matchup they have ever played.  This is a fantasy site but it does have matchups to compare head to head play.  The matchup is not even close, Horford is far superior in everything save rebounds but Sullinger only gets 1 more RPG.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/boston-celtics/players/jared-sullinger/comparison/16/2/26/4

How is that when the other bigs, shots a lot better and scores more.   Horford is also a better passer in these matchups and way better on blocks.  3.2 APG to 2.3 APG.   He is a way better shooter too and still people worry about losing 1 rpg.   There will be less rebounds due to the fact, that AL does not shoot as poorly to boot.

Relax, it will be fine.

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2016, 10:12:42 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I hypothesize that Ainge had talked up a 2-yr/8 mill. per with Sully first but Sully didn't want that, so he pulled the qualifying offer.

Hypothesize?   Hmmm.  I can see it as a hunch.   But a hypothesis is to "make a really good educated guess."  Usually they are based in facts, not conjecture, there is a difference between the two.

Ainge said:

Jared's a good kid and I'm grateful for what he gave us and I wish him well," Ainge told Himmelsbach. "I hope he gets a good opportunity. We just feel this is the best thing for our team."

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/07/danny_ainge_after_boston_celti.html

He also said this:
The thing that stinks about that is having to move on and move forward, both for him and us,” Stevens said. “But he’ll do great. Jared’s one of the more talented guys being able to get the ball off the glass, and he’s got beautiful touch and he’s a good guy, and so I think he’ll do well. I’m hopeful this move will benefit him as well, and I think it will."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2016/07/10/celtics-part-ways-with-jared-sullinger/0VF3Gms6EsL0Jy3TnPQDrI/story.html

It sure sounds like he had no intention of making an offer to him.  Time to move on and forward.   He gave him plenty of changes and he blew it especially on the conditioning and weight loss.

Horford cleaned their clock most every matchup they have ever played.  This is a fantasy site but it does have matchups to compare head to head play.  The matchup is not even close, Horford is far superior in everything save rebounds but Sullinger only gets 1 more RPG.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/boston-celtics/players/jared-sullinger/comparison/16/2/26/4

How is that when the other bigs, shots a lot better and scores more.   Horford is also a better passer in these matchups and way better on blocks.  3.2 APG to 2.3 APG.   He is a way better shooter too and still people worry about losing 1 rpg.   There will be less rebounds due to the fact, that AL does not shoot as poorly to boot.

Relax, it will be fine.

Then call it a hunch. My bad.  :)

I'm not worried about the "lack" of rebounding because as you said, Horford's been great. So far, Horford looks like he won't have any trouble filling in for Sully at the 5 except on the weight scale. I was only trying to answer the question one of the posters asked earlier on why we re-signed Zeller and not Sully.