Author Topic: Get Derrick Favors Now...  (Read 5701 times)

Re: Get Derrick Favors Now...
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2016, 07:40:49 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Explain to me again, and I guess you're going to have to pretend I am a five year old because I just don't get this, why would Utah, a team that has sucked for years and finally has a good young nucleus to build with and is showing some success, going to trade a young PF, just entering his prime years, who shows borderline All Star potential, and is on a good contract. Maybe I am just dense, but this makes zero sense.

Whatever logic you use to explain it, know I can use the same logic to explain why the Celtics have to trade Jae Crowder and Isaiah Thomas.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14647616/the-jazz-hope-enough-money-their-rebuilding-plan-work

Highlights:

~ Favors and Gobert are not a good fit together long term
~ Jazz need to invest in a Gobert / Lyles front court on the floor
~ Jazz are going to need to pay those two, as well as Hayward, Lyles, Hood, Burke, Exum, etc.
~ Jazz are not going to be a luxury tax payer, and aren't going to win with their current group
~ Jazz would be wise to take more cracks in the lottery
~ Jazz may need to trade Favors and / or Hayward, considering their potential return as well as the skills their younger counterparts (Gobert and Hood) possess in their wake

Got it? And you actually can't use the same logic for the Cs. They're closer to success, they have much better cost controlled long term deals on guys like Thomas, Crowder and Bradley, they don't have any rookie scale guys who justify the max (like Gobert), and Wyc will certainly pay the luxury tax as needed.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 07:51:39 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2016, 10:52:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Explain to me again, and I guess you're going to have to pretend I am a five year old because I just don't get this, why would Utah, a team that has sucked for years and finally has a good young nucleus to build with and is showing some success, going to trade a young PF, just entering his prime years, who shows borderline All Star potential, and is on a good contract. Maybe I am just dense, but this makes zero sense.

Whatever logic you use to explain it, know I can use the same logic to explain why the Celtics have to trade Jae Crowder and Isaiah Thomas.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14647616/the-jazz-hope-enough-money-their-rebuilding-plan-work

Highlights:

~ Favors and Gobert are not a good fit together long term
~ Jazz need to invest in a Gobert / Lyles front court on the floor
~ Jazz are going to need to pay those two, as well as Hayward, Lyles, Hood, Burke, Exum, etc.
~ Jazz are not going to be a luxury tax payer, and aren't going to win with their current group
~ Jazz would be wise to take more cracks in the lottery
~ Jazz may need to trade Favors and / or Hayward, considering their potential return as well as the skills their younger counterparts (Gobert and Hood) possess in their wake

Got it? And you actually can't use the same logic for the Cs. They're closer to success, they have much better cost controlled long term deals on guys like Thomas, Crowder and Bradley, they don't have any rookie scale guys who justify the max (like Gobert), and Wyc will certainly pay the luxury tax as needed.
Gobert and Favors don't seem to be a bad fit together to me. Favors needs to continue to work on this perimeter game is all.

I don't see why they have to invest in the Gobert Lyles front court. Teams need three sometimes 4 front court players in their rotation. There is plenty of room for all.

The Jazz have the second lowest salary in the league, have Hayward and Favors locked in long term on reasonable contracts, the salary cap is exploding and most of the players you mentioned don't need to be addressed for 2-3 seasons.

Just because Utah won't pay the luxury tax doesn't mean they can't wisely overspend on several players and go over the cap but not into the luxury area. Next year they will be tens of millions of dollars below the cap. In two years or so when the have had to to properly assess some of their youth, there will be plenty of money to go around

The Jazz need to take more shots in the lottery? Why? Has their last 6-7 shots in the lottery got them anywhere but, according to your logic, needing to go back for more cracks. I would revisit this logic if I were you.

The Jazz might indeed need to make a trade involving Favors or Hayward, but not for years. Most players on that team are cost controlled.

What the Jazz need to do is have patience, develop their youth into a cohesive unit. Then make determinations. Way to early for this club to be making major changes and delving back into the tank philosophy, especially given they have pretty much been there for many years already.

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2016, 12:23:12 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I don't see the issue about Jazz making a trade. The fact is there are indeed reasons to want to trade Favors means that maybe that is the direction Jazz could take. Multiple people presented the reasons to want to. Its not one poster's opinion. Of course there are also reasons to want to keep Favors as well but no one is saying Jazz can't keep Favors as their argument for trading him. Nor should that be the argument. All you need are a few good reasons and a good offer that benefits the team to say maybe that team trades that player. It's not on people to prove there is no reason to keep him. Trying to prove that as a condition to trade him is silly because right off the bat one can say he is a good player that is one reason to keep him. There are always reasons to keep a player. Think even with C's there exist reasons to want to keep Lee. Are we going to say because there are reasons to keep him he can't be traded? So long as there are pros to trading a guy and a good deal a player can be dealt. You can disagree on the direction because that is your opinion just like people agree with a possibility of a trade for their opinions.