Author Topic: Header banner templates and specs  (Read 35903 times)

Header banner templates and specs
« on: January 01, 2007, 08:59:16 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
I've put up two files for download that anyone interested in creating banner images for the right side of the header area of this site can use for help and reference.

The following one is a zipped up version of a Photoshop file that is essentially the background area used for the current logo and banners up there in this site.
http://www.celticsblog.com/images/stories/files/logo-banner bg.zip

The other is the image used for the entire background of the header area of this site. This one is mostly for reference.
http://www.celticsblog.com/images/stories/files/header-bg.png

Header image specs:

1) Header images must be in character with the new CelticsBlog website. The new site uses official Celtics greens along with black, white and grays. You can use any colors you wish, but as I said, your work needs to fit well with the new site.

2) Masters can be any size but final header images must be 455px wide by 76px high. Note: Banner images that are used will rotate and crossfade into one another as visitors browse through the website.

3) The final web-ready header images must either perfectly match the existing, repeating gradient background of the header area or have a transparent background (PNG or GIF). A note on this: 8 bit PNG and GIF formats have limited color palettes. Neither are particularly good for rendering photos or painterly type images that include many subtle shades and color transitions. For those type of images, 24 bit PNG and Progressive JPG formats are preferable. You guys should already know that though.

4) Final web-ready header images must be 20KB or smaller in file size.  A note on this: If you have a nice image(s) and can't figure out how to get it to 20KB or under, let me know and I'll help you with it.

5) Do not plagiarize anyone else's existing artwork or branded images. This is about creating a new, original images unique to CelticsBlog.

6) Make your master Illustrator, Freehand, Photoshop or Fireworks images available to CelticsBlog so that we can tweak final output or use various elements of it as may be needed.

7) Have fun!

Note that not all images submitted will necessarily be used. The choices of the ones that are will be determined by CelticsBlog staff. That in no way reflects on the quality of work submitted.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

Re: Header banner templates and specs
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 09:35:46 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
Bob, I know you've got a lot on your plate, but I thought I'd toss out another suggestion for you top dogs to ponder.  That's the page changing function inside threads.  Right now, it's strictly by clicking on the page number.  Perhaps the options for "first", "next" and "last" could be incorporated in....

Anyway, just a thought.  Feel free to ignore and/or delete this post as you deem appropriate.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 11:39:41 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico
Bob, I know you've got a lot on your plate, but I thought I'd toss out another suggestion for you top dogs to ponder.  That's the page changing function inside threads.  Right now, it's strictly by clicking on the page number.  Perhaps the options for "first", "next" and "last" could be incorporated in....

Anyway, just a thought.  Feel free to ignore and/or delete this post as you deem appropriate.
I'll tell ya Skin, I wish we had a little more control over that right now too. I may scrounge around a bit and see what I can come up with when I get a chance to do so.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 12:08:28 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
nobody wants to step up and offer up some banner images?  you guys can do a heck of a lot better than I did, lets see your stuff!
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 10:08:06 PM »

Offline Ian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 61
I want to see something from WestTheBest. Also, wasn't there another guy name like, JChance or something who was a really good sig maker?

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 10:33:17 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i would but i really just don't have the time right now;  :-\ srry.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 08:51:21 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
some options:

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 02:28:25 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Looking good, Jeff (although I'm not in love with the Big Al one).  Variety is always a good thing.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 10:04:53 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico
I love the Big Al one. Figures, huh? :D

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 08:59:05 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
I didn't like the way the ones with Bird looked

it is so hard to find pictures of Bird that aren't straight up and down

unless it is ones of him lying on his belly stretching his back, and nobody wants to remember that era

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 09:16:33 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
I should be able to find some images of Gerald dunking in the dunk contest

I'll try to add a Rondo pic, if only to make MikeD smile ;)

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 08:10:42 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
I've added three more pics, one of Big Al, one of Gerald Green in the dunk contest, and one with Pierce, Al, and Rondo

there's no limit to the number of pics, so please submit some if you have time

even post some pics here that you think would look good in that narrow horizontal format and I'll cut them up and post them as I see fit

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 03:16:56 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico
They are slamming!

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 12:30:37 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
OK folks, nobody in here has contributed any banner images to this site and my photoshop skills are HIGHLY suspect.

PLEASE contribute some KG banners, maybe some decent old timer banners with Bird, Kevin, Chief, etc.  DJ would be nice too.

Help a brother out!

help me with banner graphics
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 02:44:32 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
maybe nobody reads the sticky topics, so I'm trying a second thread on this (don't ban me mods!)

I'm looking for some help with those rotating banner images

half of them are outdated or obsolete at this point and I'd like some fresh new ones

with all the talent in making sigs and stuff, this should be a walk in the park for you guys

all it has to be is an image that is 455px wide by 76px high

other than that, the only restriction is that it has to look good with the rest of the site

here's an example:

anyone willing to help me out here?  please??