Author Topic: Who is replacing Danny Ainge?  (Read 4135 times)

Re: Who is replacing Danny Ainge?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 03:30:06 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 03:49:41 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
According to many posters here even an ape can take his place

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 03:58:08 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
I don’t want him gone!

I think Danny is great!

But with his ticker being what it is, he can’t go on forever, so who’s gonna replace him in 2 years, or 4 years, or whenever he steps down?

BTW, I got nothing, but it’s off season and it might be more relevant than who will replace Kemba. Will there be Nepotism?

What.

Danny has had a couple of heart attacks before 60 = his ticker isn’t in the best shape.  He might only have a few years left before GM level stress forces him to quit. I don’t know who is available to replace him and he’s fully in on this season, but he might be not be around to decide who replaces Kemba Walker, who had a 4 page thread about who might take his place in 4 years before he’s even played a game as a Celtic. Nepotism = will Austin Ainge get the job?

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 04:09:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Kyrie ?   ;)

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 07:28:15 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I don’t want him gone!

I think Danny is great!

But with his ticker being what it is, he can’t go on forever, so who’s gonna replace him in 2 years, or 4 years, or whenever he steps down?

BTW, I got nothing, but it’s off season and it might be more relevant than who will replace Kemba. Will there be Nepotism?

What.

Danny has had a couple of heart attacks before 60 = his ticker isn’t in the best shape.  He might only have a few years left before GM level stress forces him to quit. I don’t know who is available to replace him and he’s fully in on this season, but he might be not be around to decide who replaces Kemba Walker, who had a 4 page thread about who might take his place in 4 years before he’s even played a game as a Celtic. Nepotism = will Austin Ainge get the job?

What was not a question,  What was my answer. He is on first. You asked about Who, but he is on second.

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2019, 07:46:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Hinkie

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2019, 08:15:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2019, 08:45:26 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
There's a reason Zarren hasn't gone after other GM positions.  He's the heir apparent to Ainge

True.

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2019, 08:45:52 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Ainge isn't going anywhere soon, I hope. He owes us at least one more banner.

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2019, 10:44:05 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Kyrie ?   ;)

You’re gonna give Danny another attack!

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2019, 10:46:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2019, 10:56:52 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Imagine Magic being GM of the Celtics.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2019, 02:14:24 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I've always wanted to see Larry Legend running the C's front office. 

I thought he did a good job as GM in Indiana, considering the financial constraints that were placed on him; one big unsung success of his was to "turn the aircraft carrier around" when they got to the end of the cycle, with a ton of bad contracts; and he always had to deal with the fact that Herb Simon the owner was unwilling to outlay the capital that might have gotten them to the Finals again.  ECF twice, though.

The draft history is mixed - but whose isn't? - as the old NBA expression goes, it's an inexact science.

Paul George was an inspired choice, but Bird was still touting Tyler Hansbrough two years into a mediocre career.

Kawhi Leonard fell into their hands, but they traded him for George Hill on draft day (ironically, PG and Leonard are now finally going to play together on the same team - just not in Indiana).  That did help them get to the ECF two years running, though (but dispatched by the Heat).

Danny Granger - remember him? - was a great pick, too, though his career was derailed way too early by injuries.

He fired Isiah Thomas. Good move.

He hired Rick Carlisle, who had great success. As the team started to come apart Carlisle left; they didn't talk about whether it was a firing or a resignation, which is maybe a good way to do it.

Bird is a truly extraordinary man who was a great player and also a master head coach - promised to coach for three years, got to the Finals in his third season, then like George Washington or Cincinnatus, did as he said he would do and quit. Great player, great coach; I don't know if he was a great GM/PBO - I'll give him a B-plus, but he might have done remarkable things if he'd had more money to work with.

The obvious comparison with his contemporary Magic Johnson demonstrates how different those three jobs are, and how difficult it is to excel at all of them. Magic was an abject failure as a coach and as a GM, even as he was one of the greatest players of all time.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021