Author Topic: Why no camp invites for undrafted FAs?  (Read 1550 times)

Why no camp invites for undrafted FAs?
« on: June 23, 2018, 01:22:45 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
I understand they don't want any more young guys on the roster, but with Bird's 2way deal up I'm surprised they didn't invite any of the undrafted free agents to camp. There were quite a few interesting prospects with Newman, Colson, Duval, Alkins etc. Most of them have been scooped up now though. I wonder if they already have their eyes on a Red Claws player for that slot.

Does anyone know if it's possible to sign sometime to a 2way if another team has them on a training camp contract?

Re: Why no camp invites for undrafted FAs?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 01:36:12 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
It's early, they can and likely will offer some camp invites in the weeks to come.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 01:41:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
You can only offer players summer league invites right now.  Camp invites are not allowed to even be offered until July 1st.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 01:44:11 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
See I had no idea there was a distinction. So after summer league could the C's offer Duval a 2 way even though he played for Houston? Would they get first dibs?

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 01:55:20 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
See I had no idea there was a distinction. So after summer league could the C's offer Duval a 2 way even though he played for Houston? Would they get first dibs?

The Celtics could offer Duval a 2-way on July 1st even.  But based on last year, most 2-ways to undrafted players didn’t occur until after summer league or near the end of it, and Duval (as an example) would likely give Houston a chance to match it.  But don’t worry about Summer League offers.  As a team who will likely have a starting five composed of their own players, guys trying to earn 2-ways would be wise to find other teams for their summer league opportunities.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 08:42:02 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
They'll fill out a summer league roster, but with Boston big club roster pretty full right now they're just not a terribly attractive situation for a lot of UDFAs. It's not a bad thing, just not a ton in the way of opportunity here for a guy looking to break in.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 09:05:19 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum

The Celtics could offer Duval a 2-way on July 1st even.  But based on last year, most 2-ways to undrafted players didn’t occur until after summer league or near the end of it, and Duval (as an example) would likely give Houston a chance to match it.  But don’t worry about Summer League offers.  As a team who will likely have a starting five composed of their own players, guys trying to earn 2-ways would be wise to find other teams for their summer league opportunities.

Thank you for the explanation. Makes perfect sense now. Hopefully they see some talent in Summer League and find some prospect to develop in the G League.