Author Topic: Discussion: How would you fix NBA officiating?  (Read 1746 times)

Discussion: How would you fix NBA officiating?
« on: July 31, 2020, 09:50:44 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
As tonight showed, NBA officiating is as bad and incompetent as ever, and NBA officials really seem to struggle with calling a consistent game. I realize that they have a difficult job with how fast-paced the game is, and we have the benefit of having a better view of the court from the comforts of our home. But even given this, they still struggle with calling a consistent game from play to play, quarter to quarter, and game to game.

So how do you fix NBA officiating?

To me, the biggest thing is the NBA's new emphasis to protect the offensive player and making much more defensive contact illegal and off-limits. If officials weren't trying to over-police the defense, they'd have an easier time with giving a consistent product over fewer calls. When you're having to call much more incidental contact, you're obviously going to have a harder time keeping it consistent over time. I'd love to see the NBA take a step back and not focus so heavily on penalizing defensive contact, though I don't think you'll see that change any time soon.

What are some other ideas to fix NBA officiating?

Re: Discussion: How would you fix NBA officiating?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 10:09:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
For rule changes, I’d change the key violations to 5 seconds, change the goaltending rule to be like the rest of the world, and introduce a 1+1 bonus, just for fun.

With actual officiating, I think it’s more tricky. I’d like to see the NBA clean house for all the guys that have been refs for over a decade. Also wonder whether certain refs should have different jurisdictions. Whether that be assignments to places on the court, or only being able to call certain violations (think that’s how American football works, right?)

I dunno. It’s so broken
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 10:30:20 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
you stop paying for the fixed product.

NBA values entertainment over competition. That is why stars are protected so they can stay on the court, and lesser players cannot as much as breath on them.

The most hilarious aspect of the NBA game is how elite players are allowed to hack other players and thereby earn honors as great defenders.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 10:32:49 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Officiating in almost every major sport is corrupt, ask Premier League fans about Ole and his Manchester United squad :laugh:. But to me implementing rules so that referees' performances are monitored would be a good start.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 10:36:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Officiating in almost every major sport is corrupt, ask Premier League fans about Ole and his Manchester United squad :laugh:. But to me implementing rules so that referees' performances are monitored would be a good start.
Good point. It seems like there’s zero repercussions for poor performances if you’re an official
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 10:38:36 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Good point. It seems like there’s zero repercussions for poor performances if you’re an official
And zero regulations for their activities outside of the games right? I might be wrong but I remember reading that officials can bet in the games they officiate.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 10:43:22 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
As tonight showed, NBA officiating is as bad and incompetent as ever, and NBA officials really seem to struggle with calling a consistent game. I realize that they have a difficult job with how fast-paced the game is, and we have the benefit of having a better view of the court from the comforts of our home. But even given this, they still struggle with calling a consistent game from play to play, quarter to quarter, and game to game.

To me, the biggest thing is the NBA's new emphasis to protect the offensive player and making much more defensive contact illegal and off-limits. If officials weren't trying to over-police the defense, they'd have an easier time with giving a consistent product over fewer calls. When you're having to call much more incidental contact, you're obviously going to have a harder time keeping it consistent over time. I'd love to see the NBA take a step back and not focus so heavily on penalizing defensive contact, though I don't think you'll see that change any time soon.

The simple idea is to call the game evenly. You indicate how difficult it is to call the gamme because of the speed of the game, imagine how much more difficult it is when your bosses have given you different rules for different players. The foul on Theis was so egregious that the ref spontaenously blew his whistle. Once he did that he was in a pickle, but he wasnt too ashamed to pee all over that pickle. when he found out that it  was Giannis and that was his sixth foul

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 10:49:25 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

The simple idea is to call the game evenly. You indicate how difficult it is to call the gamme because of the speed of the game, imagine how much more difficult it is when your bosses have given you different rules for different players. The foul on Theis was so egregious that the ref spontaenously blew his whistle. Once he did that he was in a pickle, but he wasnt too ashamed to pee all over that pickle. when he found out that it  was Giannis and that was his sixth foul

I don't know if this is a common phrase that I just haven't heard or what, but I literally laughed out loud when I read that  ;D TP!

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 10:57:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

I don't know if this is a common phrase that I just haven't heard or what, but I literally laughed out loud when I read that  ;D TP!

lol once I put him in that pickle I didnt know how to get him out, so I made that up... lol

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2020, 11:33:16 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think fixing the officiating begins with a league review of every game and calling out the refs for blatantly bad calls/non-calls.  It's a fast game and some things are clearly close judgement calls but things like goaltending, carries, players hitting others, charges/blocks that aren't close, etc..

point out the missed calls to the officiating crew.  work with them to address things they consistently get wrong and if there's no improvement, they need to go. 

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 12:16:40 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
I think fixing the officiating begins with a league review of every game and calling out the refs for blatantly bad calls/non-calls.  It's a fast game and some things are clearly close judgement calls but things like goaltending, carries, players hitting others, charges/blocks that aren't close, etc..

point out the missed calls to the officiating crew.  work with them to address things they consistently get wrong and if there's no improvement, they need to go.

I just marvel at the number of people who think this is simply a referee issue. To fix a problem you have to first identify the problem. You think the referee does not know when LeBron is in his face yelling at him? The same referee that Ts a scrub for even looking at him the wrong way? The referee made a call TODAY against Giannis and went to the video to see if it was a flagrant then ends up reversing the foul call. You really think that was referee competence issue?

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 03:50:33 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

I just marvel at the number of people who think this is simply a referee issue. To fix a problem you have to first identify the problem. You think the referee does not know when LeBron is in his face yelling at him? The same referee that Ts a scrub for even looking at him the wrong way? The referee made a call TODAY against Giannis and went to the video to see if it was a flagrant then ends up reversing the foul call. You really think that was referee competence issue?

Nah, it's just the NBA needing superstars to get the calls so they can get a bunch of superstars to face each other in the Finals. Unfortunately, the Celtics do not have any superstars on their team.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)