Author Topic: Would you trade 2017 Nets pick for Okafor?  (Read 30184 times)

Re: Would you trade 2017 Nets pick for Okafor?
« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2016, 05:16:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
#3 - We have made multiple offers for Okafor since he entered the league.  At this point if you don't believe that to be true, you might as well just ignore all media.  It's been widely reported and backed up by numerous sources.   The fact that Ainge offered the Brooklyn pick for a player came directly from Ainge himself.  Bulpett was the one who told us it was Okafor and we have never seen anyone say otherwise.   Go whine to Bulpett if you are upset about his reporting.  Go write angry letters to ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS, NBC, etc and all the many local and national publications who reported what Bulpett wrote without fact-checking.   My assumption is that they did... and nobody from Boston or Philly disputed it - so they continued to credit Bulpett with breaking the factual story.

Zach Lowe and Amin Elhassan said otherwise.  The Sixers denied the rumor.  I assume that Ainge made a lowball offer, but I don't think Okafor fits the kind of player he would overpay for and Ainge spoke about a "big package" and not just the pick.

I suspect one of two things.  Either Ainge was looking at Okafor as a piece in a three-way trade with a team that wanted an established player and not just picks and he was not the main target or Ainge was working on a true surprise like a godfather offer for Durant out of a belief that a short stint with Stevens would convince Durant to re-sign.

Yes. Yes. LB repeatedly conveniently avoids mentioning this part. I agree with you completely that the odds are overwelmingly in favor that the trade was not for Okafor.

« Reply #151 on: November 25, 2016, 05:17:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It isn't that much of a surprise that a guy coming back from injury isn't shooting as well as he was when he was healthy, but what is a bit surprising is Okafor is playing a lot better defense.  He is blocking shots and generating steals at higher rates.  He is turning the ball over at a smaller rate.  I suspect his shooting will come around as he starts to get back into game shape and if he continues the improved defense then he might actually turn into a solid player.  He will never be a great rebounder but he should improve there as well (at least around the TRB% he had last year).
Yeah.  There was a post on the NBA subreddit recently that showed Okafor's 1-on-1 post defense was actually towards the top of the league so far this season.  He's obviously got a lot of stuff to work on, but he still looks like someone who CAN develop into a future star.  He might not ever get there, but from what I see the kid still has some elite-level tools that could be developed into a star.  I'm not trying to be contrarian when I say I believe Okafor is a better prospect than any player on this team under the age of 24.  I legitimately believe that.  That doesn't mean Okafor is definitely going to end up a better player than Jaylen Brown.  Lots of stuff can happen over the course of a young player's development. 

« Reply #152 on: November 25, 2016, 05:20:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
#3 - We have made multiple offers for Okafor since he entered the league.  At this point if you don't believe that to be true, you might as well just ignore all media.  It's been widely reported and backed up by numerous sources.   The fact that Ainge offered the Brooklyn pick for a player came directly from Ainge himself.  Bulpett was the one who told us it was Okafor and we have never seen anyone say otherwise.   Go whine to Bulpett if you are upset about his reporting.  Go write angry letters to ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS, NBC, etc and all the many local and national publications who reported what Bulpett wrote without fact-checking.   My assumption is that they did... and nobody from Boston or Philly disputed it - so they continued to credit Bulpett with breaking the factual story.

Zach Lowe and Amin Elhassan said otherwise.  The Sixers denied the rumor.  I assume that Ainge made a lowball offer, but I don't think Okafor fits the kind of player he would overpay for and Ainge spoke about a "big package" and not just the pick.

I suspect one of two things.  Either Ainge was looking at Okafor as a piece in a three-way trade with a team that wanted an established player and not just picks and he was not the main target or Ainge was working on a true surprise like a godfather offer for Durant out of a belief that a short stint with Stevens would convince Durant to re-sign.

Yes. Yes. LB repeatedly conveniently avoids mentioning this part. I agree with you completely that the odds are overwelmingly in favor that the trade was not for Okafor.
I ignore it, because he's shown no source supporting this claim.  I'm not going to do that research for him.  First of all, I remember Zach Lowe saying he doubted the report, but he never claimed Bulpett was wrong.  He never offered an alternative for who Ainge was referring to.   If I'm wrong there, prove it.   Show me where Lowe actually offered a contradictory report to who Ainge was referring to. 

Second, Philly never disputed Bulpett's report.  Show me otherwise.   I ignored what Loosecannon said, because neither of his claims are true and I didn't want to waste my time writing a post saying that.  Especially since it's really irrelevant to what Philly would be wiling to trade Okafor for today.  One way or the other, it doesn't matter if we offered the Brooklyn pick + Bradley + Smart for Okafor at the deadline.   That's in the past.  Just like it doesn't matter that we offered half the team to Charlotte with hopes of getting Justice Winslow.  It's not like Charlotte can turn around and say, "hey we changed our mind... give us jaylen brown and terry rozier + 4 other picks for Frank Kaminsky".  Too late.  They blew it.  I don't know why people get so sensitive about things we offered in the past.   There was a time when we considered moving Paul Pierce for Ty Thomas and Luol Deng.   Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.  Don't get bent out of shape about it.  I doubt Golden State fans are losing sleep over the fact that at one point in years ago their team genuinely gave thought to moving Steph Curry for Rajon Rondo.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:26:47 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2016, 05:27:15 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2487
Okafor is one of the least intuitive basketball players i've ever seen. In particular the 3.3 boards in 20.4 minutes is pathetic.

He is good at slow-developing 1-on-1 plays, but the rest of his skills are D-league caliber.

I would be very worried if I was the Sixers. He is young and raw obviously, but not sure he has the mental makeup for the NBA game, he has that glazed, medicated look to him of a guy with limited intensity.
Posts like yours make the over the top pro Okafor posts seem reasonable.  Okafor averaged 17.5 pts and 7 rebs on 50FG% in his rookie season on a bad team with terrible PG play for much of the season.  He clearly has limitations and areas that need significant development but his skills are definitely not D-league caliber.

We agree to disagree then. Do you actually watch the d-league btw? They are good players, just not as good as NBA guys.

Okafor's rebounding is pathetic by NBA standards. His defensive awareness is pathetic. His passing is sluggish. He doesn't have a good grasp of the game. He hurts his team when he's on the floor.

Aside from his 1-on-1 game, which is very good, he is much like a D-leaguer. And some of those guys are better than him in many areas.

Take away his post game and he might not be on an NBA roster. Doesn't mean he can't improve. But his overall game right now is very weak, and that shouldn't be a controversial statement.

« Reply #154 on: November 25, 2016, 05:35:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Okafor is one of the least intuitive basketball players i've ever seen. In particular the 3.3 boards in 20.4 minutes is pathetic.

He is good at slow-developing 1-on-1 plays, but the rest of his skills are D-league caliber.

I would be very worried if I was the Sixers. He is young and raw obviously, but not sure he has the mental makeup for the NBA game, he has that glazed, medicated look to him of a guy with limited intensity.
Posts like yours make the over the top pro Okafor posts seem reasonable.  Okafor averaged 17.5 pts and 7 rebs on 50FG% in his rookie season on a bad team with terrible PG play for much of the season.  He clearly has limitations and areas that need significant development but his skills are definitely not D-league caliber.

We agree to disagree then. Do you actually watch the d-league btw? They are good players, just not as good as NBA guys.

Okafor's rebounding is pathetic by NBA standards. His defensive awareness is pathetic. His passing is sluggish. He doesn't have a good grasp of the game. He hurts his team when he's on the floor.

Aside from his 1-on-1 game, which is very good, he is much like a D-leaguer. And some of those guys are better than him in many areas.

Take away his post game and he might not be on an NBA roster. Doesn't mean he can't improve. But his overall game right now is very weak, and that shouldn't be a controversial statement.

This is kind of how I feel too. You can't be his size and rebound like him. Sub reddit fantasy aside, he is not at defense either.

« Reply #155 on: November 25, 2016, 05:36:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I ignore it, because he's shown no source supporting this claim.  I'm not going to do that research for him.  First of all, I remember Zach Lowe saying he doubted the report, but he never claimed Bulpett was wrong.  He never offered an alternative for who Ainge was referring to.   If I'm wrong there, prove it.   Show me where Lowe actually offered a contradictory report to who Ainge was referring to. 

Second, Philly never disputed Bulpett's report.  Show me otherwise.   I ignored what Loosecannon said, because neither of his claims are true and I didn't want to waste my time writing a post saying that.  Especially since it's really irrelevant to what Philly would be wiling to trade Okafor for today.  One way or the other, it doesn't matter if we offered the Brooklyn pick + Bradley + Smart for Okafor at the deadline.   That's in the past.  Just like it doesn't matter that we offered half the team to Charlotte with hopes of getting Justice Winslow.  It's not like Charlotte can turn around and say, "hey we changed our mind... give us jaylen brown and terry rozier + 4 other picks for Frank Kaminsky".  Too late.  They blew it.  I don't know why people get so sensitive about things we offered in the past.   There was a time when we considered moving Paul Pierce for Ty Thomas and Luol Deng.   Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.  Don't get bent out of shape about it.  I doubt Golden State fans are losing sleep over the fact that at one point in years ago their team genuinely gave thought to moving Steph Curry for Rajon Rondo.
I highly doubt loose cannon is making this stuff up out of thin air for no reason.

« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2016, 05:44:23 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Who's being more exposed in this tread, Okafor or LB?

I generally don't disagree with LB as much as you and some others have over the year. We clearly couldn't disagree more on the Okafor stuff. What is funny to me is that LB has decided he is so invested in Okafor being a great player that he is taking positions that put him in a pretty tough space to argue.
Da hell are you talking about? 

I've been clear with my opinion on Okafor.  He's a quality prospect.  He's a better than any prospect on our team under the age of 24.  He obviously has flaws.  Nobody is disputing that.

And the fact is, we tried trading up for him on draft day 2015, and it was widely reported that we offered a package built around the brooklyn pick for him at the trade deadline.

I get you don't like Okafor.  I get you are in deep denial about was widely reported in February.  That's your problem, not mine.  Get over it.  Starting to think maybe you or one of your friends was one of the guys Okafor allegedly beat up in the Boston bar last year.  The hate you have for him is next-level.  I suggest you e-mail Danny Ainge and beg him to stop making offers for him and stop lashing out at me for speaking the truth.

I can literally write the exact same post back to you.

I get you like Okafor.  I get you are in deep denial about was widely reported in June. 

#1 - I don't "like" Okafor.  I accept that he's a better prospect than any young player on our team under the age of 24.  That makes me "like" him as much as the dozens of other young players who are better prospects than anyone on our team under the age of 24.  The reason why we keep talking about Okafor is because this forum is obsessed with him and people keep starting threads about him.    I'm willing to give my perspective on that.  If this forum was obsessively creating threads about Jabari Parker and people like you were calling Parker "garbage", I'd be quick to correct you on those threads as well.   That doesn't mean I love Jabari Parker. 

#2 - I'm not in deep denial about what was reported in June.  I flat out admitted in this thread that I am well aware that Chad Ford said he thought Okafor wasn't worth a top 5 pick (but presumably was worth a pick in the 6-8 range).  That's the same article Kevin Pelton said Jusuf Nurkic was equal value for the #3 pick.   I'm not in denial about either.  Yes, I agree with you that ESPN writers have varied opinions on the trade value of various players.   Was there any actual reports of Philly trying to trade Okafor on draft night?  I didn't see them.     

#4 - I merely brought up the fact Philly turned down our package built around the 2016 Brooklyn pick in February to highlight that I would guess Ainge is less inclined to trade the 2017 Brooklyn pick for him.   Early signs are that 2017 is a much better draft than the 2 player draft that just happened.   WHat happened in the past doesn't really matter.   We reportedly tried trading 8+ picks to move up and take Okafor the night he was drafted... we reportedly tried trading picks in addition to Marcus Smart... that doesn't mean we'd offer that for him now.
1--> Chad Ford God Tiers rank both Smart and Jahlil tier 2 prospects. Remarkably similar players actually
Smart:
NBA ready body, NBA ready defender, high work rate, solid vision with basketball, does a nice job bullying way to rim. All the strengths check out and hes a better defender than hed been given credit for, likewise with the unexpectedly awesome clutch gene and knack for big plays

Hot head/flopper, not explosive or elusive with ball, bad shooter, bad shot selection.
All the weaknesses check out, shootings worse than we thought

Finally add injury prone to weaknesses. Also kinda hard to judge as hes played behind Rondo Bradley Turner and Thomas throughout his career.

Okafor:
Incredibly gifted offensive post player, elite footwork, terrific NBA body, solid passer out of post.
All of them check out, post skills better than expected, except passing, that hasnt translated

Terrible defensively, bad rebounder, poor shooter

add injury concerns and knucklehead concerns to his weaknesses with the caveat of having to have played his whole career with Noel or Embiid.

2 tier 2 guys who have come into the league and confirmed most of their strengths, proved one is better than initially thought, added injury prone to the list of concerns and failed to assuage nearly any other concerns.

Smart is 2 years older, but also has proven himself more valuable to winning and can better exist in the role-player form both players currently exist in.

2 &3 are whatever, rumors fly all over the place. I dont think theres any reason to put too too much stock in the Bulpett one over all the others. I think the consensus of reports was the Philly wasnt going to be able to get a top 5 pick for Okafor. It also makes sense.

4 We were reportedly readying a warchest of picks the day before the draft if Okafor fell to 3.

Curiously enough, Okafor did fall to 3 and crickets.

Then a bunch of reports come out after the draft that we tried to make a trade with everyone from #4 to #10. Why leave 3 out if we offered 8 picks? it doesnt make sense.

Next, that day was probably the highest Okafors has been. At midseason with the rumor that we offered Brooklyn+ for Okafor, even if we assume it happened (which is not something you can really safely do) then it still doesnt establish Okafors value at the deadline and more importantly it doesnt establish it now. Okafor has suffered a knee injury, continued to prove to people hes a knucklehead, Phillys seen the influx of Saric and Embiid and drafted Ben Simmons and Okafor this year has been kinda Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty.

All this adding up to Okafor value now < Okafor value 10 months ago.

Ultimately we are trying to make an evaluation based on a series of rumors and reports, 1/3 of which are probably entirely fabricated and half of which are probably smokescreens.

Its hard to do. Plus with Jahlil, his situation is so Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.y in Philly that stats dont really do any of it justice.

This debate will exist until he is no longer in the philly big-man traffic jam. This is going to be discusses ad nauseam for 2 reasons.

1. Philly has too many bigs, we dont have enough the trading partner aspect is too obvious + our rebuild timelines began at the same time thus they are of obvious interest especially as they exist within the Atlantic.

thats why we discuss this often

2. Phillys Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ed bigman situation makes it virtually impossible to evaluate Okafor. Stats are basically useless and trade rumors + ESPN opinions are likely to give you values all over the spectrum.

Thats why we dont make any progress in the discusion.

Ultimately none of us have a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.n clue. I say forget the experts, forget the stats. Go watch some Jahlil Okafor and use the eye test.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #157 on: November 25, 2016, 05:58:36 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Who cares what we did or didn't offer in the past.  Unless DA is posting here, none of us know so it is kind of a pointless debate.

The thing about trading the 2017 Nets pick for Okafor is that it doesn't really do either of the two things we should be trying to do.  We should either be trying to add a solid starting level PF/C who can play alongside Horford and help us win now or we should be looking to a future built around these draft picks.

I don't mind the strategy of stockpile young players but if you go that route, you don't want to trade perhaps your most valuable draft pick.  I also don't mind trading the draft picks for a "blue chip" player.  I suspect the Celtics are going to bring in the best veteran big they can get without giving up the BKN picks and see what this team can be.

Because Okafor is not a blue chip, help me win now player, I do not want the trade a BKN pick for him.  I do view Okafor as a solid prospect and would have no problem seeing him in the mix if we decide to "punt" and build for a few more years down the road.

« Reply #158 on: November 25, 2016, 06:07:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Who cares what we did or didn't offer in the past.  Unless DA is posting here, none of us know so it is kind of a pointless debate.

The thing about trading the 2017 Nets pick for Okafor is that it doesn't really do either of the two things we should be trying to do.  We should either be trying to add a solid starting level PF/C who can play alongside Horford and help us win now or we should be looking to a future built around these draft picks.

I don't mind the strategy of stockpile young players but if you go that route, you don't want to trade perhaps your most valuable draft pick.  I also don't mind trading the draft picks for a "blue chip" player.  I suspect the Celtics are going to bring in the best veteran big they can get without giving up the BKN picks and see what this team can be.

Because Okafor is not a blue chip, help me win now player, I do not want the trade a BKN pick for him.  I do view Okafor as a solid prospect and would have no problem seeing him in the mix if we decide to "punt" and build for a few more years down the road.
The past doesn't matter.  Based on the very early things Ive read about this upcoming draft, I don't think I'd move the 2017 pick for Okafor.  But I'm basing that on the idea that there are as many as 5 Tier-1 prospects and 5 more Tier-2 prospects.   I'm not a draft expert.  Each draft is very different.  Not all top 5 picks are made equal.   A top 5 pick in 2014 was significantly more valuable than a Top 5 pick in 2013.  It sounds like a Top 5 pick in 2017 is significantly more valuable than a Top 5 pick in 2016.   So based on that assumption, I'd say we are better off keeping the pick.    This is also assuming that Jeremy Lin doesn't come back and cause Brooklyn to go on a big run.   There's also a chance three months from now this draft looks far less impressive people were claiming in November. 

Based on the assumptions this is a loaded draft and Brooklyn will continue to be injury-riddled and finish in the bottom 5... no, I wouldn't trade the pick for Okafor.

« Reply #159 on: November 25, 2016, 06:07:11 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

The D-league is little more than a pickup game with no defense.  Its worse than college ball and many of the Euro leagues.  Phil Pressey being tied for 4th in scoring and listed as a top 10 prospect puts it in perspective.  Henry Sims and Dakari Johnson are averaging nearly 20 pts.  Okafor would look like Wilt in the D-League. 

« Reply #160 on: November 25, 2016, 06:26:40 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Lar has had a tough day on the blog. Said some goofy stuff, people called him on it, and nobody jumped to rescue him. I'll try to create a bridge.

Why can Jahlil Okafor not become the next Demarcus Cousins? He's already a good scorer. DMC doesn't play great defense and is prob more of a head case than Jahlil. Calipari never spoke of Demarcus like Coach K did. Jah was one of his favorite players.

« Reply #161 on: November 25, 2016, 06:28:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I guess it is cool that more people are starting to realize that Okafor is not the player we had hoped he would become if we were to get him. I have mentioned this also, but he doesn't seem like a particularly great guy off the court so I am not really losing sleep over it.

« Reply #162 on: November 25, 2016, 06:41:03 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
Lar has had a tough day on the blog. Said some goofy stuff, people called him on it, and nobody jumped to rescue him. I'll try to create a bridge.

Why can Jahlil Okafor not become the next Demarcus Cousins? He's already a good scorer. DMC doesn't play great defense and is prob more of a head case than Jahlil. Calipari never spoke of Demarcus like Coach K did. Jah was one of his favorite players.
DMC is probably the best center in the League.  He's dominant offensively and is a very good rebounder.  He can also play pretty good defense when he sets his mind to it.  Okafor's upside is not DMC.  If it was, everybody arguing against getting Okafor would be a brain dead idiot.  I put Okafor's upside as a better Al Jefferson which is not bad at all but he's going to have to improve significantly to reach that upside.   

« Reply #163 on: November 25, 2016, 07:01:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

DMC is probably the best center in the League.  He's dominant offensively and is a very good rebounder.  He can also play pretty good defense when he sets his mind to it.  Okafor's upside is not DMC.  If it was, everybody arguing against getting Okafor would be a brain dead idiot.  I put Okafor's upside as a better Al Jefferson which is not bad at all but he's going to have to improve significantly to reach that upside.
nice to agree with you for a change

« Reply #164 on: November 25, 2016, 07:06:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Lol. The proverbial tough day at the blog.