Author Topic: Jaylen Brown looks like a 2-way star  (Read 38375 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown looks like a 2-way star
« Reply #150 on: December 25, 2019, 11:19:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Ringer article after game refers to Brown as “borderline” all star.

Hasn’t he earned right to remove “borderline” from his description?? Or am I being a homer?
I think borderline is a good description for him until he shows that he can handle a larger offensive load consistently, Brad still plays in a role that's mainly off ball. But I believe that he has it in him, the games where he went off when his role expanded is good enough evidence for me.

List 12 players in East who should have as good a case right now to be in All Star Game as Jaylen. I don’t see it. And frankly Tatum doesn’t deserve it ahead of Jaylen because Jaylen is so much more efficient.

« Reply #151 on: December 25, 2019, 11:28:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I remember thinking and hoping Jaylen could become a prime Jimmy Butler-like talent for us.

Hell, he can end up way better than Butler, and with much better 3-point shooting  :o

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #152 on: December 25, 2019, 11:30:27 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Hasn’t he earned right to remove “borderline” from his description?? Or am I being a homer?
I think borderline is a good description for him until he shows that he can handle a larger offensive load consistently, Brad still plays in a role that's mainly off ball. But I believe that he has it in him, the games where he went off when his role expanded is good enough evidence for me.

The '18 playoffs weren't enough? He did fine with a lot of the load he shared with Tatum that playoffs. I'd like him to get more offensive responsibility too, consistently, not just when he has it going. I feel like he has to always have "it" going for them to let him take control, no one is frozen out like he is at times, the others can be shooting terribly but they are ALWAYS allowed to continue shooting or get the ball consistently. 

Not saying you, but a lot of people mention all the attention that Kem and JT get to slight JB, a lot. It's as if he wasn't neck and neck with Tatum doing his thing in 18 playoffs with as much pressure as you can get. JB just does the job he's told to, but people act like he would fall apart if the other guys weren't getting the attention they do. Some people can't see past loving Tatum, they make everything JB does a competition between him and Tatum when we should want and be happy that both are excelling.

It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #153 on: December 26, 2019, 12:26:20 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

The '18 playoffs weren't enough? He did fine with a lot of the load he shared with Tatum that playoffs. I'd like him to get more offensive responsibility too, consistently, not just when he has it going. I feel like he has to always have "it" going for them to let him take control, no one is frozen out like he is at times, the others can be shooting terribly but they are ALWAYS allowed to continue shooting or get the ball consistently. 

Not saying you, but a lot of people mention all the attention that Kem and JT get to slight JB, a lot. It's as if he wasn't neck and neck with Tatum doing his thing in 18 playoffs with as much pressure as you can get. JB just does the job he's told to, but people act like he would fall apart if the other guys weren't getting the attention they do. Some people can't see past loving Tatum, they make everything JB does a competition between him and Tatum when we should want and be happy that both are excelling.
That's why I said it's enough for me, I recognise those games as evidence. It takes a bit more than that to convince statisticians though, I think he'll need to compile ~30 games with a larger offensive load this season to get a large enough sample size.

Btw I was never high on Tatum's offence, look at my crusades a few days ago calling his offensive ceiling to be prime Paul Pierce. The isolationist tendencies and ball pounding makes him bleed a ton of value on offence.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #154 on: December 26, 2019, 12:30:03 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

List 12 players in East who should have as good a case right now to be in All Star Game as Jaylen. I don’t see it. And frankly Tatum doesn’t deserve it ahead of Jaylen because Jaylen is so much more efficient.
I don't either, I was just raising valid concerns over how sustainable his offence will be when his offensive load increases just because of his offensive role on this squad (I believe he can do it, but you need more than belief to say things definitively).

Also I was banging the Brown drum when you guys were drooling over Tatum putting on 5 pounds of muscle in the summer to be 10-15 short of a good playing weight for him, don't sass me over Brown :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #155 on: December 26, 2019, 12:47:20 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

That's why I said it's enough for me, I recognise those games as evidence. It takes a bit more than that to convince statisticians though, I think he'll need to compile ~30 games with a larger offensive load this season to get a large enough sample size.

Btw I was never high on Tatum's offence, look at my crusades a few days ago calling his offensive ceiling to be prime Paul Pierce. The isolationist tendencies and ball pounding makes him bleed a ton of value on offence.

Tatum will be what he will be and right now, no one knows. I love what the kid is doing/trying to do, when he becomes more efficient at the things he's trying to do, look out world! The kid is already really good, all he needs is for the shots in the paint to start going in more consistently!

We need to give the young guys a chance to grow, hopefully, we haven't seen anything close to how good they can become.

They came up with Fire and Ice for their young versions, I hope we will need Pokemon glow-up names for their primes! :D
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #156 on: December 26, 2019, 01:00:05 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Tatum will be what he will be and right now, no one knows. I love what the kid is doing/trying to do, when he becomes more efficient at the things he's trying to do, look out world! The kid is already really good, all he needs is for the shots in the paint to start going in more consistently!

We need to give the young guys a chance to grow, hopefully, we haven't seen anything close to how good they can become.

They came up with Fire and Ice for their young versions, I hope we will need Pokemon glow-up names for their primes! :D
I have one for you 8)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #157 on: December 26, 2019, 01:54:48 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I wish I could search for my old "How long will it be before Jaylen is better than Kawhi", and I was mocked.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #158 on: December 26, 2019, 02:36:10 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I wish I could search for my old "How long will it be before Jaylen is better than Kawhi", and I was mocked.
In a few years if he develops a resilient PO scoring arsenal and continues to hone his defence.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #159 on: December 26, 2019, 02:41:01 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
merry Christmas

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=101633.new#new

« Reply #160 on: December 27, 2019, 05:50:12 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I was just watching Jaylen's Christmas game highlights and something struck me as ironic- we know Tatum worked out with Kobe and a lot of posters had negative thoughts about that due to Tatum's poor shot selection last season.  But watching Jaylen's Christmas highlights, a lot of the moves look like a carbon copy of Kobe... like exactly the same.  Same size player, similar quickness and strength, same moves, same footwork and balance (or even better if that's even possible).  Tatum is playing great but he will never have the physical attributes to pull off Kobe's moves in the same manner that Brown can.  I was among those who thought Kobe had a negative effect on Tatum, and now I'm absolutely thrilled to see Jaylen pulling off Kobe's moves at level equal to Kobe himself.  Very exciting stuff.  Maybe the guys should have switched workout partners since Brown is physically more similar to Kobe and Tatum is more physically similar to McGrady.

« Reply #161 on: December 27, 2019, 07:22:04 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Yeah, Kobe is who he reminds me of too. I dont think it's even a stretch to say he has more explosiveness then Kobe did.

« Reply #162 on: December 27, 2019, 09:34:23 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I brought up the '98 Frobe comparison in a thread that was made in the first 15 games or so this season. I think if you take away the isolationist tendencies, less than ideal shot selection and high level passing (Frobe had a good feel for passing, even in the late 90s) while adding some muscle, hops and a bit of rawness on offence you'll get a wing like Jaylen Brown.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #163 on: December 27, 2019, 06:42:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So over his last two games this is what Jaylen has done:

64 minutes played
64 points
15 rebounds
6 assists
23-33 from the field 70%
10-17 from three 59%
8-10 from the line 80%

For the year
20.7 PPG
7.0 RPG
2.4 APG
1.0 SPG
52.1% FG%
39.9% 3PT%
75.2% FT%
62.2% TS%

« Reply #164 on: December 27, 2019, 06:45:36 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
So over his last two games this is what Jaylen has done:

64 minutes played
64 points
15 rebounds
6 assists
23-33 from the field 70%
10-17 from three 59%
8-10 from the line 80%

For the year
20.7 PPG
7.0 RPG
2.4 APG
1.0 SPG
52.1% FG%
39.9% 3PT%
75.2% FT%
62.2% TS%
Man, he is nearing Tacko level efficiency.