Author Topic: Anniversary Present Ideas  (Read 10969 times)

Anniversary Present Ideas
« on: September 04, 2012, 08:23:01 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
So my 4 year anniversary is coming up at the very begining of October and I havent really done any planning for it.  I am going to be proposing to my GF early in December so most of my energy has gone into getting that ready to go.

Does anybody have any good anniversary gifts/things to do around Boston?

Last year I got her a Coach Purse and while she doesnt think so, I think she out did me by putting together a collage of tickets from all the events we had gone to in the past year and having it framed.  (Including a celtics ticket)

So something along the craftsy side for a present might be a nice change of pace.

Thanks for your help!

CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: Anniversary Present Ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:49:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I have always gone the more personal route with gift giving.  For example, I wrote her a poem and then had it framed with a rose in a sealed tube.  Did that like 5 years ago and it still sits prominently in the bedroom. 

Also, I proposed on our 5th anniversary.  If you know you are going to propose, why not just do it on your anniversary?  Why wait?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:00:33 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I have always gone the more personal route with gift giving.  For example, I wrote her a poem and then had it framed with a rose in a sealed tube.  Did that like 5 years ago and it still sits prominently in the bedroom. 

Also, I proposed on our 5th anniversary.  If you know you are going to propose, why not just do it on your anniversary?  Why wait?

Well she has always wanted to go to NYC with me during christmas time so I planned a trip this year and I am going to propose by the huge Xmas tree in rock center.  I dunno why I chose that over the aniversary though, just kinda liked that idea.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 09:11:50 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Does she use celticsblog?

I'm no veteran at this but have you planned on what you're doing yet? A memorable event and a token to remember it by is what I'm suggesting.

Sorry I can't offer anything too substantial

Edit: And congrats!

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:18:23 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Well she has always wanted to go to NYC with me during christmas time so I planned a trip this year and I am going to propose by the huge Xmas tree in rock center.  I dunno why I chose that over the aniversary though, just kinda liked that idea.
That's actually a better idea than doing it on your anniversary--if she's willing to wait that long.  She might see it coming on the anniversary but doing it by the tree would probably be unexpected and, having been there around Christmas time, is pretty special.

4 years is a longer wait than most women are willing to put up with (in my experience).  The only downside to waiting to pop the question is you might start getting some hints she's getting impatient but you'd know best if that's likely to happen.

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 09:39:59 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
Do you have a really nice special photo of the two of you together? Put it in a special frame.  It is personal, and it implies commitment and longevity.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 09:41:23 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Do you have a really nice special photo of the two of you together? Put it in a special frame.  It is personal, and it implies commitment and longevity.

haha ya, did that one for my 2 year anivesary.  :)

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 09:41:42 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Well craftsy stuff can be tough, especially if you're not a sentimental guy and don't save/remember things, and since she already did the collage, it might seem too similar, but you could always put together a scrapbook.  Even if you don't have little mementos saved, you could re-aquire some.  Like go grap a napkin/coaster/menu from the restaurant you had your first date at etc.  Go print a newspaper headline from your first date or kiss or whatever, grab the box score/headline from the first C's game you went to, get a piece of Coach shopping bag or tag for the gift you gave her last year. Easy if you're good at this stuff (save things, remember things), not so easy if you're not good at it.

Now if you want a great idea for something to do next year, I got the perfect idea for you.  Start a journal just about her, don’t have to put much down, just jot a thought or two down about her every week.  Now's the perfect time to start because you can capture your thoughts leading up to the proposal, and then capture your thoughts leading up to the wedding, with a lot of little random things added in:

Tuesday 9/4/12
Got the reservation set at your favorite restaurant, hope it's a special day.  Don’t worry, getting ready to propose in December, already got the ring picked out, but still want this anniversary to be special.

Friday 10/5/12
The spaghetti you made tonight tasted so good, loved it.

Thursday 12/13/2012.
Heading down to NYC tomorrow night, proposing Saturday. Even though I know you’ll say yes, still never been more nervous.

Saturday 12/15/2012
Argh, can't believe there's a massive blizzard today, completely ruined my plans to propose, you would have loved it too, was going to do it in front of the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center, been planning it for months too.  Now I gotta come up with a Plan B quick.

Friday 1/18/13
Went to go see Hunger Games 2, didn’t really like the movie, but you were looking so good in your blue Old Navy sweatshirt.

Saturday 3/2/13
We went cake tasting today, after arguing about the food and the flowers, glad we finally agreed on something.

Sunday 3/10/13
Got the honeymoon booked, I just know you’re going to love Cabo.  Can’t wait till we're relaxing on the beach and the wedding planning is behind us.

Thursday 4/11/13
Nothing I like more than sitting on the couch with you watching 30 Rock.

Super simple, just takes a few minutes to jot some thoughts down every now and then, and she'll love it, and part of the beauty of it is you thought so far ahead to start this over a year ago and how long it took you to compile the whole thing.  Would make a perfect birthday, valentines gift, first anniversary present, etc.  So simple, so easy, so inexpensive, and it will probably be one of the gifts she remembers most.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 09:47:29 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My advice:  be yourself.  If you're not crafty / sentimental, don't force it.  If you want to do something sentimental, try to recreate your first date together or something; same restaurant, same activities, etc.  Then, get her a gift like you normally would.

Oh, and no clothing or pets for gifts.  Those are almost always bad ideas.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 09:52:01 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
My advice:  be yourself.  If you're not crafty / sentimental, don't force it.  If you want to do something sentimental, try to recreate your first date together or something; same restaurant, same activities, etc.  Then, get her a gift like you normally would.

Oh, and no clothing or pets for gifts.  Those are almost always bad ideas.

I was thinking about maybe taking off from work for a half day and preparing a really nice meal or something romantic like that.  She usually cooks for us so I think that might be nice and a surprise.

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 10:14:13 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Well craftsy stuff can be tough, especially if you're not a sentimental guy and don't save/remember things, and since she already did the collage, it might seem too similar, but you could always put together a scrapbook.  Even if you don't have little mementos saved, you could re-aquire some.  Like go grap a napkin/coaster/menu from the restaurant you had your first date at etc.  Go print a newspaper headline from your first date or kiss or whatever, grab the box score/headline from the first C's game you went to, get a piece of Coach shopping bag or tag for the gift you gave her last year. Easy if you're good at this stuff (save things, remember things), not so easy if you're not good at it.

Now if you want a great idea for something to do next year, I got the perfect idea for you.  Start a journal just about her, don’t have to put much down, just jot a thought or two down about her every week.  Now's the perfect time to start because you can capture your thoughts leading up to the proposal, and then capture your thoughts leading up to the wedding, with a lot of little random things added in:

Tuesday 9/4/12
Got the reservation set at your favorite restaurant, hope it's a special day.  Don’t worry, getting ready to propose in December, already got the ring picked out, but still want this anniversary to be special.

Friday 10/5/12

Thursday 12/13/2012.
Heading down to NYC tomorrow night, proposing Saturday. Even though I know you’ll say yes, still never been more nervous.

Saturday 12/15/2012
Argh, can't believe there's a massive blizzard today, completely ruined my plans to propose, you would have loved it too, was going to do it in front of the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center, been planning it for months too.  Now I gotta come up with a Plan B quick.

Friday 1/18/13
Went to go see Hunger Games 2, didn’t really like the movie, but you were looking so good in your blue Old Navy sweatshirt.

Saturday 3/2/13
We went cake tasting today, after arguing about the food and the flowers, glad we finally agreed on something.

Sunday 3/10/13
Got the honeymoon booked, I just know you’re going to love Cabo.  Can’t wait till we're relaxing on the beach and the wedding planning is behind us.

Thursday 4/11/13

Super simple, just takes a few minutes to jot some thoughts down every now and then, and she'll love it, and part of the beauty of it is you thought so far ahead to start this over a year ago and how long it took you to compile the whole thing.  Would make a perfect birthday, valentines gift, first anniversary present, etc.  So simple, so easy, so inexpensive, and it will probably be one of the gifts she remembers most.

Geez -- now you tell me.  It is all about speaking her language and showing she is in your thoughts.  All of which I've been terrible at for the past 24 years of marriage.

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 10:23:54 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Tuesday 9/4/12

Friday 10/5/12

Thursday 12/13/2012.

Saturday 12/15/2012

Friday 1/18/13

Saturday 3/2/13

Sunday 3/10/13

Thursday 4/11/13

This is an awesome Idea, thanks BDM

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 10:26:12 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Here is something I learned about a while ago.  Not so helpful in my imperfect marriage, but I thought pretty on target if not a little goofy.

It's called 'Love Languages' coined by a guy named Gary Chapman.

There are 5 love languages, and though a person may relate to more than one or even all, the big idea is that everyone has 1 primary love language.  A love languge is about way you experience love or experience being cared for.  It is what YOU want from those in your life.  If you 'speak' your spouse's love language, you are in good shape.  Chapman says that in 80% of marriages spouses have different love languages.

Language 1: Words of Affirmation
Actions don’t always speak louder than words. If this is your primary LL, unsolicited compliments mean the world to you. Insults can leave you shattered and are not easily forgotten.

Language 2: Quality Time
Nothing says, “I love you,” like full, undivided attention. Really being there (being present) is critical -- with the TV off, fork and knife down, and all chores and tasks on hold.  Distractions, postponed dates, or failure to listen can be especially hurtful.

Language 3: Receiving Gifts
Not about materialism; receiver of gifts thrives on the thoughtfulness and effort behind the gift. The gift or gesture shows you are known, cared for, and prized. A missed birthday, anniversary, or a hasty, thoughtless gift are disastrous — so would absence of everyday gestures.

Language 4: Acts of Service
Can vacuuming the floors really be an expression of love? Absolutely! Anything you do to ease the burden of responsibilities weighing on an “Acts of Service” person will speak volumes. The words he or she most want to hear: “Let me do that for you.” Laziness, broken commitments, and making more work for them tell speakers of this language their feelings don’t matter.

Language 5: Physical Touch
This language isn’t all about the bedroom. A person whose primary LL is Physical Touch is, not surprisingly, very touchy. Hugs, pats on the back, holding hands, and thoughtful touches on the arm, shoulder, or face — they can all be ways to show excitement, concern, care, and love. Physical presence and accessibility are crucial, while neglect or abuse can be unforgivable and destructive.

Best of luck speaking your spouse's (or soon to be spouse's) love language!