Author Topic: Celticsblog fantasy bball keeper league (Draft Thread)  (Read 341941 times)

Re: Celticsblog fantasy bball keeper league (Draft Thread)
« Reply #1755 on: July 13, 2008, 05:26:23 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would be happy to take a team now that the league is under new management. 

As for the switch to head to head, the question all member have to ask themselves, do you like your team for that type of league.  If the majority don't, you might want to re-draft and start fresh. 

« Reply #1756 on: July 13, 2008, 05:45:13 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
If you need any alternates I'd be happy to participate.

« Reply #1757 on: July 13, 2008, 11:24:52 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Head-to-head also minimizes tanking.  Once you fall 1000 points behind in a points league, you may as well give up.  In head-to-head, you can still get into the playoffs.

Again, though, the concern for me would be about categories.  I didn't draft with things like blocks and steals in mind, because frankly, they just weren't that important under our previous points system.  I'm sure many people are in that same boat. 

that makes it fair for everyone.Dont u think?

Well, not really.  Somebody who lucked into Andre Kirilenko or Gerald Wallace is going to do a lot better in a head-to-head league than he would under our points system.  Some rosters that would have done quite well under the old system will do poorly under the traditional head-to-head system, because scoring was given paramount importance in our old league.

Here were our previous categories, and their importance under the points-based league:

Categories: FGA, FGM, FTA, FTM, PTS, REB, AST, ST, BLK, TO
Stat Modifiers: FGA (-0.5), FGM (1.2), FTA (-0.25), FTM (0.5), PTS (1), REB (1.5), AST (1.75), ST (2.75), BLK (2.5), TO (-1.5)

So, for instance, a FGM was worth a minimum of 2.7 points (1.2FGM + 2PTS - .5FGA), and 3.7 points for a three-pointer.  That means a basket is worth almost twice as much as a rebound (1.5), etc.

I think there are ways to adjust this; we just need to slant our league's head-to-head towards the scoring categories (ie, award for points, FGM, and whatever other scoring categories are available.)  That makes things a little more equitable, I think.

sounds nice to me
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #1758 on: July 14, 2008, 05:04:59 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
How about this:

pts fgm 3pt pg% ftm ft% blocks assists rebounds to

« Reply #1759 on: July 15, 2008, 11:23:31 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I will be back again...I know I was inactive towards the end of last season, I got involved in too many leagues, and this one fell towards the way side. Won't happen again, I will only do one friends league, the staff league (which I will DOMINATE) and this one.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1760 on: July 15, 2008, 11:41:16 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I've never played fantasy basketball. anyone feel like saving me a google search with a quick nutschell?

« Reply #1761 on: July 15, 2008, 11:50:30 AM »

Offline Sun Devil

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
i'm interested in playing...

« Reply #1762 on: July 15, 2008, 06:46:39 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
To see where the league stands, I put together a new table. Although it’s possible Roy has heard from other members.

I know both IP and RIPRED have already addressed their lack of activity last season. I’m assuming the rest of the league is as inclined as I am to leave it that?

If so, then we currently have eleven returning general managers, one team available, and eight yet to respond.

As far as scoring goes, Roy makes a fair point, but I’d still rather use a more typical H2H scoring system. Exchanging game limits for a cap on roster moves – if we go that direction – would have a similar impact on the standings that no one will have prepared for. We may also be replacing a fourth of our year old league, which I’d argue, frees us from stricter constancy.

Since everyone is open minded; I say take advantage of that and make whichever changes ensure the most enjoyable season possible.

EDIT - Can anybody tell how to make a better looking list in the future?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 07:59:13 PM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #1763 on: July 15, 2008, 07:01:37 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
To see where the league stands, I put together a new table. Although it’s possible Roy has heard from other members.

1.   mkogav                  ??
2.   Y'all Hate              In
3.   Champkind               In
4.   The Walker Wiggle       In
5.   Celtic Fan Forever      ??      Tue Nov 6 12:51pm EST 
6.   Lucky17                 In
7.   IndeedProceed      In   Tue Mar 4 3:50pm EST
8.   AllabouttheGreen   ??
9.   Edgar         In
10.   jgod213              ??
11.   smiggity      In
12.   Birdman              In
13.   Green17              ??   Tue Mar 4 6:57am EST
14.   BostonFan23      Out
15.   iRONLiON      ??   Tue Jan 29 8:01pm EST
16.   RIPRED         In   Jan 25 2:41pm EST
17.   Larrybird17      ??   Tue Dec 11 7:15am EST
18.   Jayhovaone      ??   Fri Nov 30 9:37pm EST
19.   Blake         In
20.   Roy Hobbs      In

I know both IP and RIPRED have already addressed their lack of activity last season. I’m assuming the rest of the league is as inclined as I am to leave it that?

If so, then we currently have eleven returning general managers, one team available, and eight yet to respond.

As far as scoring goes, Roy makes a fair point, but I’d still rather use a more typical H2H scoring system. Exchanging game limits for a cap on roster moves – if we go that direction – would have a similar impact on the standings that no one will have prepared for. We may also be replacing a fourth of our year old league, which I’d argue, frees us from stricter constancy.

Since everyone is open minded; I say take advantage of that and make whichever changes ensure the most enjoyable season possible.

jgod and IronLion are in, Green17 is out.

On head-to-head categories, I guess I just fundamentally disagree.  I know having a league that was based so heavily on points scored factored heavily into my drafting; I think you need to compensate for that, and I guarantee I'm not the only one who drafted with that in mind.  As I recall, people were formulating draft lists based specifically on our scoring criteria.  I see this different than game limits, because was *anybody's* drafting strategy affected by game limits?  I don't think so.  I'm not even sure if game limits were agreed upon before or after the draft began.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #1764 on: July 15, 2008, 07:22:39 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Without game limits, I'd expect bench players start making regular appearances in the line up and scoring? So that teams with deeper benches then move up the standings accordingly.

And, from my standpoint, the league is going to look radically different, regardless, if we switch scoring systems. Including FGM or leaving out 3PM isn't going to approximate the old system accurately. Although I can understand it as a nod to the spirit of the old league.

1. mkogavIn
2. Y'all HateIn
3. ChampkindIn
4. The Walker WiggleIn
5. Celtic Fan Forever??Tue Nov 6 12:51pm EST
6. Lucky17In
7. Indeed ProceedInTue Mar 4 3:50pm EST
8. AllAboutTheGreen??
9. EdgarIn
10. jgod213In
11. SmiggityIn
12. BirdmanIn
13. Green17Out
14. BostonFan23Out
15. iRONLiONInTue Jan 29 8:01pm EST
16. RIPREDInJan 25 2:41pm EST
17. LarryBird17??Tue Dec 11 7:15am EST
18. Jayhovaone??Fri Nov 30 9:37pm EST
19. BlakeIn
16. Roy HobbsIn
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 12:09:54 AM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #1765 on: July 15, 2008, 07:40:29 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Glad to see things are picking up steam here.

Re: last year's points system, here were the settings:

Stat Categories:  FGA, FGM, FTA, FTM, PTS, REB, AST, ST, BLK, TO
Stat Modifiers: FGA (-0.5), FGM (1.2), FTA (-0.25), FTM (0.5), PTS (1), REB (1.5), AST (1.75), ST (2.75), BLK (2.5), TO (-1.5)

It stands to reason that all of these categories should carry over to the scoring system for the new league (and perhaps some others as well). It would be great if some of these categories could be weighted to approximate last year's system; unfortunately, I can't tell right now if this is possible.

As for game limits/roster move caps, there appears to be an option to assign a maximum number of "player acquisitions," which would prevent the "rotating waiver wire" strategy discussed earlier in this thread. [There is also an option to cap the number of trades available, FYI. I don't see that coming into play.] There is also the option of up to a maximum of 100 games played per position. People seem to be advocating for the roster move cap rather than game limits: I have no strong feelings either way.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #1766 on: July 15, 2008, 07:46:39 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Glad to see things are picking up steam here.

Re: last year's points system, here were the settings:

Stat Categories:  FGA, FGM, FTA, FTM, PTS, REB, AST, ST, BLK, TO

It stands to reason that all of these categories should carry over to the scoring system for the new league (and perhaps some others as well). It would be great if some of these categories could be weighted to approximate last year's system; unfortunately, I can't tell right now if this is possible.

As for game limits/roster move caps, there appears to be an option to assign a maximum number of "player acquisitions," which would prevent the "rotating waiver wire" strategy discussed earlier in this thread. [There is also an option to cap the number of trades available, FYI. I don't see that coming into play.] There is also the option of up to a maximum of 100 games played per position. People seem to be advocating for the roster move cap rather than game limits: I have no strong feelings either way.

I'm down with those categories (with FTA and FGA being represented by FT% and FG%).  To add an odd number of categories, I would suggest 3PTM, as well.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #1767 on: July 15, 2008, 07:52:13 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Actually, let me backtrack a bit.

Perhaps we should consider substituting FGA and FTA with FG% and FT%? I'm not certain if Yahoo! assigns negative value to FGA and FTA (although it does for TO).
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #1768 on: July 15, 2008, 07:56:57 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Actually, let me backtrack a bit.

Perhaps we should consider substituting FGA and FTA with FG% and FT%? I'm not certain if Yahoo! assigns negative value to FGA and FTA (although it does for TO).

You may have missed my post above, but yes, that's my vote.  Also, add 3PTM (because the previous scoring system factored in 3PTM to break the tie (it's always best to have an odd number of stats categories)

« Reply #1769 on: July 15, 2008, 08:09:40 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
You could always slowly add the normal stats for a head to head matchup. 

Can you make certain parts worth 1/2 a point or the ones that were more influential worth 2 points.  Then each season, make them closer to what it is suppose to be.  That way, GM can adjust their lineup. 

Or is that just to complex?