Author Topic: What's with this slump?  (Read 15301 times)

Re: What's with this slump?
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2020, 07:35:19 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
This feels so much like last year I’m queasy.

« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2020, 09:12:40 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
The team needs to work on some sets to start the game.
Right now their sets are for open 3, but they are not making those 3s.
So change the sets for easy layups or something .
Slow Offensive start leads to easy FB points for the opponent and before u know it they are in the zone.

Also we need a true experienced shooter of bench .

Kanter is very good on some match ups, terrible on others .

If the team is not making a move means they don’t believe in this teams as is and are committed to development this year .

« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2020, 12:02:32 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Average team like I been saying
Lol. Good to see you didn’t actually rise to the occasion with any evidence to support your constant negativity.

In fact, you just ignored the post all together, despite saying you’d respond to it. Bravo!
I got a life so I’m not ignoring it..family comes first 😁..not on here 24/7 but here is why they are average team
1. Walker is top 20 player is why we not fighting for a playoff seed
2. Brown and Tatum are too inconsistent as of now..I say NOW cause they are still young and still learning
3. Hayward is not and will not be the player he was at Utah..it’s not his fault cause of the leg injury
4. We have no legit big man as we all know..Kanter is good but not a defensive guy..Theis is a PF..TimeLord just not going to cut it
5. 2019 Draft is bad so far but still early for these guys..Carsen just a D-leaguer, Grant is ok but just end bench guy, Romeo can’t stay healthy
6. Ainge did not address the bench in offseason very good..counting on these youngsters not working out
7. Why is a Semi on this team?
8. Smart is a defensive stud but not a good offensive guy..sure he going have some good scoring games but not many

Ainge big plan failed after not getting Davis..then Al left and Irving..his plan was:
C- Horford
Pf- Davis
Sf-Tatum or Hayward
Sg-Brown or Hayward
Pg-irving
Smart, Theis, some vets on bench

Just fell apart and lucky we got Walker
Now this just my opinion on why this just an average team, they not great nor bad
5th or 6th seed is what I said in August and I still say it..if we was in the West, be bout 7 or 8
Ainge need to quit trying to copy Golden State team and try get a big man and some bench help
There, that’s my opinion and if u agree or disagree, then that’s ur opinion also..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2020, 12:45:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I think it feels that way mostly because the fans and the media are still caught up in how things went last year.

Taken out of that context I think this would just feel like a bad stretch.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2020, 12:54:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I think it feels that way mostly because the fans and the media are still caught up in how things went last year.

Taken out of that context I think this would just feel like a bad stretch.

I agree. The fact that we are thin with a pretty weak bench makes the banged up patch we are going through with Kemba and others missing games a lot more painful. We don't have enough good players to step in, even against bad teams. I am really hoping we can add a vet or two.

« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2020, 12:54:22 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Plus we have no legit PF or Center..Tatum, Brown, Smart, Hayward and Walker are all PF/Sf/PG.. not going win with no bigs..recents losses to teams we should beat explains it all
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2020, 01:18:28 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
We should bring Larkin back !
Currently the best player in Europe , for real !

« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2020, 01:47:15 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I noticed that Tatum is being lazy on defense

other than the remark about tatum, the other thing is that pretty much everyone is overhelping on drives

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2020, 04:51:51 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I do think Ainge's plan was to get through the first half of the season with the current roster and then reevaluate. He has probably evaluated that this team has 7 NBA players in its rotation - then a lot of filler and not-even-close-to-being-ready for-prime-time young guys. 

If you put these guys on the open market - R Williams, Langford and maybe Waters get flyers from other teams - the rest are lucky to even be in the league.

Unfortunately this is the bind that Al signing with the Sixers - along with what appears to be a crappy draft - put them in. 

Also Hayward apparently confirmed last night after the game that his foot is still bothering him and he's 'just going to play through it' - which may be worse than putting him on the shelf because the guy wearing his uniform right now isn't helping much.

So what do you do?  You can probably find a 3 pt shooter or 2 in the buyout market for the short term. But I think the plan is get to the playoffs - hope the extra nights off allow them to play an 8 man rotation - and hope for the best. Not that this excites me in any way because it doesn't.  They'll be lucky to make the 2nd round with that strategy but I don't know of one that's better unless Danny can figure out a way to get Kevin Love here.

« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2020, 05:02:17 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
We should bring Larkin back !
Currently the best player in Europe , for real !

look back at the ECF season of 2017 and you will see that Celts were winning in the playoffs until Larkin went down.

« Reply #130 on: January 19, 2020, 05:48:53 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I noticed that Tatum is being lazy on defense

other than the remark about tatum, the other thing is that pretty much everyone is overhelping on drives

Exactly!

The lack of a true big man forces the Celts to help.

Opposing players not afraid of getting their shot blocked when it's Theis, Kanter, or GWill playing Center for the Celts.

« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2020, 06:25:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Personally, I do find it laughable when people say this is just like last year's team 

It's true that they are less talented than last season (on paper), but they still have a better record at the halfway point this season than they did last season, and they are still more fun to watch. They also play together and want each other to succeed unlike last season where it felt like some guys were only focused on their own numbers and reputation.

They certainly haven't been as fun to watch lately, but last year's team was even worse with the egos added in. This year's team is more accountable and Kemba has been a breath of fresh air compared to Kyrie. I have more faith that this team can get over the hump than last year's team, and frankly last year's team never really did either.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2020, 06:31:17 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Personally, I do find it laughable when people say this is just like last year's team 

It's true that they are less talented than last season (on paper), but they still have a better record at the halfway point this season than they did last season, and they are still more fun to watch. They also play together and want each other to succeed unlike last season where it felt like some guys were only focused on their own numbers and reputation.

They certainly haven't been as fun to watch lately, but last year's team was even worse with the egos added in. This year's team is more accountable and Kemba has been a breath of fresh air compared to Kyrie. I have more faith that this team can get over the hump than last year's team, and frankly last year's team never really did either.

This season's team has great chemistry.

Last season's team had more balance because they at least had Horford in the middle.

« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2020, 07:22:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

By this time last year:

- The Celtics had a record with 2 less wins.
- The team started 10-10.
- The team had had 3 three game losing streaks.
- The team also had a separate 4 losses in 5 games streak.
- Hayward was a shell of the player he has shown this year.
- Brown was nowhere near the player he is this year.
- Kyrie went nuts in public on Hayward because he didn't pass it to him for the last shot in a loss
- Kyrie had just called out his younger team mates.
- Brown then went public pushing back on Kyrie's comments.
- Morris and Rozier were deep into their selfish, "put up numbers because I am in a contract year", type play.
- Kyrie was already plotting to leave the team and play with Durant somewhere in NYC.
- The possible Anthony Davis trade was hanging over the entire locker room with rumors in the news everyday leaving no one other than Kyrie and Horford secure in their standing with the team.
- Team chemistry sucked on the court
- Off the court, the locker room was a mess.

Yeah, not anything like last year.

« Reply #134 on: January 19, 2020, 08:10:55 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This year has definitely been more enjoyable, but the increased talent (on paper) on last year's team at least always gave you the feeling that they could put their foot on the accelerator and compete with anybody. We were always just waiting for the playoffs. And, while the result was less than stellar, at least there was always hope.

This season started out better than any of us could have anticipated. Even our losses were close, on the road, and against good teams. I know we haven't played fully healthy for almost the entire year (who has, though),  but I do feel like this team needs to play to their absolute potential for them to have any chance. This recent stretch of games has really magnified that point.

I am certainly not giving up on the season - we have talent, we have potential, and we have yet to see a long stretch of games with our full roster - but championship aspirations should be tempered, especially as we weather the storm of one of the most difficult schedules left in the league. All-Star break can't come fast enough. This team needs a reset and a break.