Author Topic: Patriots 2020 Season  (Read 78640 times)

Re: Patriots 2020 Season
« Reply #420 on: December 21, 2020, 11:35:06 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 488
So how does this season so far shape the legacies of Belichick and Brady?
Belichick won at least six games with a roster and extenuating circumstances that would have rendered most other coaches having only 2 or 3 wins.

Brady has proven that at 43 he is still good enough to be a top 10-15 QB in this league (which is just mindbendingly incredible).

Something more incredible: In seasons that Brady has played more than one game, Brady is now going to the playoffs for the 17th straight season.

I think both have shown this season that even separated, they are the best ever at what they do.
I don't buy this argument at all.  There is talent on the team and to the extent there is not, it is because of Bill.  He has 100% control over the roster decisions.  He can't buy the groceries and then complain when he is missing things.
Belichick kept on buying the groceries on a credit card. Eventually you have to pay that bill. And after 19 historic years, the bill came due.

The Pats had tens of millions of dead cap money this year. They lost almost all their top free agents because they couldn't pay them.

This year was eventually going to happen. And yet with Covid, no Hightower or Chung or some others and having all of a million dollars to find a starting QB, they've won 6 games.

They will have higher picks next year. I think $69 million or more In cap money and I think, through all the crap that was this season, they've found some nice players.

I think complaining about Belichick this year leaves out the context of how he has managed things over the last 20 years and what lead to this year.

Kudos and TP!

That Pats will have plenty of Cap Space (I've read 69M) and currently 11 draft picks; a 1, 2, 3 (comp), 4, 4 (comp), 4 (comp), 5, 6 (from Jets), 6 (from Dallas), 6, and 7.

That leaves Lance, Wilson, Trask, Jones.  None of those are eye popping, so maybe you sign a free agent QB or make a deal. 

From what I have seen, I would be shocked if Wilson made it to our range. The narrative is starting to shift towards him OVER Fields even. I don't believe it, but Wilson has been amazing.
#JKJB

« Reply #421 on: December 21, 2020, 11:39:47 AM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I know it might be silly but I’m excited about how this off-season will go. No more Cam, first and foremost. Would love to get one of the first round QBs and some actual speed at WR. This draft is also a deep TE draft - we could load up on offensive players potentially.

Thanks Cam, but you should retire
Dolphins fan here.  Yes, what is wrong with Cam?  I've never seen a less accurate passer.  He routinely bounces passes to WRs.  Why hasn't Bellichick gone with Stidham yet?  Has he proven he's not the answer?

« Reply #422 on: December 21, 2020, 02:04:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
TB > Belichick

« Reply #423 on: December 21, 2020, 04:48:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I know it might be silly but I’m excited about how this off-season will go. No more Cam, first and foremost. Would love to get one of the first round QBs and some actual speed at WR. This draft is also a deep TE draft - we could load up on offensive players potentially.

Thanks Cam, but you should retire
Dolphins fan here.  Yes, what is wrong with Cam?  I've never seen a less accurate passer.  He routinely bounces passes to WRs.  Why hasn't Bellichick gone with Stidham yet?  Has he proven he's not the answer?
Stidham has looked really not good if I’m honest. I also think McDaniels likes all the RPO’s they can run with Cam, even if it’s really just either Cam running or the RB.

I think Cam’s shoulder is genuinely toast
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #424 on: December 21, 2020, 04:49:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Last year, with Edelman playing all 16 games, Brady had a QB rating of only 88.0, with 24 TDs. Odds are even he’d be even worse with this receiving core. Throw in opt-outs from 2 defensive leaders, and we might have been only a game or two better WITH Brady.

Which is all to say, we kept it going as long as we could. One losing season is a small price to pay and hardly an indictment of management who kept us as perennial favorites for the better part of 2 decades. If we’re back in contention within the next few years even, that’s just about perfection.
Eh, I don't buy this at all. The offense is all around better than it was last year. The running game, the O-Line, and the receiving core have been much better this year. Edelman was more of a liability last year than anything. Give Tom Brady this O-Line, and he would have gotten us to the playoffs.
Agree. Brady with a healthy Andrews & Wynn + future All-Pro Onwenu would’ve been great.

« Reply #425 on: December 21, 2020, 07:59:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
So how does this season so far shape the legacies of Belichick and Brady?
Belichick won at least six games with a roster and extenuating circumstances that would have rendered most other coaches having only 2 or 3 wins.

Brady has proven that at 43 he is still good enough to be a top 10-15 QB in this league (which is just mindbendingly incredible).

Something more incredible: In seasons that Brady has played more than one game, Brady is now going to the playoffs for the 17th straight season.

I think both have shown this season that even separated, they are the best ever at what they do.
I don't buy this argument at all.  There is talent on the team and to the extent there is not, it is because of Bill.  He has 100% control over the roster decisions.  He can't buy the groceries and then complain when he is missing things.
Belichick kept on buying the groceries on a credit card. Eventually you have to pay that bill. And after 19 historic years, the bill came due.

The Pats had tens of millions of dead cap money this year. They lost almost all their top free agents because they couldn't pay them.

This year was eventually going to happen. And yet with Covid, no Hightower or Chung or some others and having all of a million dollars to find a starting QB, they've won 6 games.

They will have higher picks next year. I think $69 million or more In cap money and I think, through all the crap that was this season, they've found some nice players.

I think complaining about Belichick this year leaves out the context of how he has managed things over the last 20 years and what lead to this year.
I was objecting to your contention that this is a 2 or 3 win roster.  It isn't.  It isn't a playoff roster with how bad Cam has looked, but giving Bill credit for a 6 win season is just strange to me, as 6 wins seems about right for how the season played out.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #426 on: December 26, 2020, 08:01:59 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Pats going to start cam Newton even though they're not in playoff contention

Belichick is nuts. We need to see what we have in stid . Outside reps arent enough

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30601924/new-england-patriots-cam-newton-remain-starting-quarterback-vs-buffalo-bills

« Reply #427 on: December 26, 2020, 08:04:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Belichick is nuts. We need to see what we have in stid . Outside reps arent enough

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30601924/new-england-patriots-cam-newton-remain-starting-quarterback-vs-buffalo-bills
Might be that what we have in Stid is a non-NFL calibre player

« Reply #428 on: December 26, 2020, 08:53:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

One Bill has seen in practice for two straight years.

I think posters need to realize that coaches can see enough in practice to make real decisions on a player's ability to perform at the top level.

I don't care if it's the NFL, the NBA or MLB. If a player clearly shows in practice they aren't good enough to get playing time, playing them in games only serves one purpose, to show fans how that player can't contribute. And quite frankly, coaches tend not to do that. So if someone isn't playing, it's because the coach, in this case, Belichick, doesn't think the player is worthy of playing time.

And sorry people, Belichick isn't a "tanking" coach. He's not going to play a player in hopes of losing. It's not in his DNA to do that.

« Reply #429 on: December 26, 2020, 10:34:32 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
I think it would've made sense to take a 43-year old Tom Brady instead of Cam Newton this season.

Too bad, Belichick wouldn't reinvigorate this roster and address its glaring needs.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #430 on: December 26, 2020, 11:28:45 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Maybe so, but I think Bill should play Stidham anyway, because: 1) Cam is toast, and 2) they're missing the playoffs, so why not throw the inexperienced guy out there to ensure more losses and get a better draft pick?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #431 on: December 26, 2020, 11:46:30 PM »

• Satch Sanders
I think it would've made sense to take a 43-year old Tom Brady instead of Cam Newton this season.

Too bad, Belichick wouldn't reinvigorate this roster and address its glaring needs.

My question is: Will he ever? Or will he keep going with a patchwork approach to half the roster? Will he ever get a decent receiving corps? A decent tight end? A legit pass rush?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #432 on: December 27, 2020, 12:01:54 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Maybe so, but I think Bill should play Stidham anyway, because: 1) Cam is toast, and 2) they're missing the playoffs, so why not throw the inexperienced guy out there to ensure more losses and get a better draft pick?
exactly

No one will be able to answer your questions because you are correct

« Reply #433 on: December 27, 2020, 12:15:16 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

exactly

Because tanking and losing on purpose isn't in the makeup of football coaches and players. Doing so could get a lot of people hurt. Doing so could cost you the locker room.

« Reply #434 on: December 27, 2020, 12:39:45 AM »

• Satch Sanders

exactly

Because tanking and losing on purpose isn't in the makeup of football coaches and players. Doing so could get a lot of people hurt. Doing so could cost you the locker room.

I'm not talking about doing anything crazy that would get people hurt. What I'm envisioning for the Pats is similar to what often happens with NBA teams that are out of playoff contention—they sometimes shut down certain players to avoid unnecessary wear and tear.

If Cam is injured, he shouldn't be playing. If he isn't injured? I still don't see the point of playing him, as he looks to me like he's reached the end of the line in terms of his career—and no matter what, he's not playing for New England beyond this season. I doubt he plays markedly better in the last two games than he has thus far, and I really question whether he's even markedly better than Stidham at this point.

As you say, Bill sees these guys in practice every day, and he knows best who the better QB is, but sometimes players can surprise you in a good way, and since the team obviously didn't get the job done with Cam, why not give Stidham some extended burn in some meaningless games, if for no other reason than to confirm Bill's own opinion that Stidham isn't an NFL QB. At this point, I'd rather see what Stidham can or can't do than see Cam continue to throw one-hoppers.

— C.S. Lewis