Author Topic: Patriots 2020 Season  (Read 78572 times)

Re: Patriots 2020 Season
« Reply #405 on: December 20, 2020, 04:27:23 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I'm not expecting the Patriots to tank, but I would like to see them try to build a system and a gameplan that has a chance of working in the future.

Trying to jury-rig a system around a QB who is basically a TE-sized RB with limited passing is a fun idea for one season, but only really makes sense if you have a great roster.  The Patriots don't have a great roster or anything close to it.

I have no interest in watching another season of this.  You need to have a potent passing attack to get anywhere in the modern NFL.  Even if the Pats aren't able to add the future franchise QB in the draft or FA this off-season, I'd like them to focus on building the infrastructure for that eventual franchise QB.  Let's not spend another year trying to squeak by with a gimmick offense.

I'd rather see the Pats find a placeholder QB who is more of a traditional passer.  That way they can get younger players elsewhere in the offense used to playing a style that has a chance of leading to success in the future once they find a QB who is good enough to secure the position long term.
wentz or new drafted player ?

Wish we tanked for Trevor

« Reply #406 on: December 20, 2020, 04:43:16 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
As a 22 year old myself, this is only the 2nd season I remember where we're not in the playoffs (other being 2008 where we still went 11-5; and 2009 was also tough with a 10-6 record and the blowout wild card loss to BAL). It's sad, but I'm not complaining after that insane dynastic run either. Could be worse I imagine lol. Lot of work to do but I trust Belichick and we do have cap room to work with which is nice. No question though, Belichick does need to hit on this upcoming Draft.

QB is one thing (and a big thing, I know) but they seriously need to acquire more talent at the skills position (WR/TE) over the next 1-2 years. Meyers, Byrd and Harry are fine maybe as 3rd to 5th options on the WR depth chart, but they really need a #1 WR and possibly a #2 (or if Edelman doesn't retire I guess he counts). And 1000% they need a real TE, period. There will be options in FA, and also the Draft (like Pitts from the Gators).

Thanks Cam and I wish you the best of luck with wherever you play next. I hope we draft a QB AND acquire a veteran guy like Stafford if possible via trade (or even a Jimmy G. reunion at the right price).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #407 on: December 20, 2020, 04:45:49 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Cam still thinking the Patriots can compete and make noise later this season...

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #408 on: December 20, 2020, 04:57:38 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Fitting that our playofff hopes end with a Cam sack.

Fine by me. The last thing this team needs is to find a way to squeak into the playoffs and hurt its draft position when they have almost zero chance of doing anything in the postseason.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #409 on: December 20, 2020, 05:08:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I appreciate that Cam worked hard this season and wanted to do well.  It's clear he's not a starting caliber QB anymore, at least not on the Pats.

Here's looking forward to an off-season that brings major changes and a fresh start.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #410 on: December 20, 2020, 06:00:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I know it might be silly but I’m excited about how this off-season will go. No more Cam, first and foremost. Would love to get one of the first round QBs and some actual speed at WR. This draft is also a deep TE draft - we could load up on offensive players potentially.

Thanks Cam, but you should retire
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #411 on: December 20, 2020, 06:40:24 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
So how does this season so far shape the legacies of Belichick and Brady?

« Reply #412 on: December 20, 2020, 08:36:37 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Partly depends on how the Bucs do in the playoffs. They've struggled for consistency this season, so if they get knocked out before the conference title game, with all the talent they have, I'd call that a failed season, and roughly equivalent to a much-less-talented Pats team missing the playoffs.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #413 on: December 20, 2020, 08:58:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Belichick won at least six games with a roster and extenuating circumstances that would have rendered most other coaches having only 2 or 3 wins.

Brady has proven that at 43 he is still good enough to be a top 10-15 QB in this league (which is just mindbendingly incredible).

Something more incredible: In seasons that Brady has played more than one game, Brady is now going to the playoffs for the 17th straight season.

I think both have shown this season that even separated, they are the best ever at what they do.

« Reply #414 on: December 20, 2020, 10:33:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Belichick won at least six games with a roster and extenuating circumstances that would have rendered most other coaches having only 2 or 3 wins.

Brady has proven that at 43 he is still good enough to be a top 10-15 QB in this league (which is just mindbendingly incredible).

Something more incredible: In seasons that Brady has played more than one game, Brady is now going to the playoffs for the 17th straight season.

I think both have shown this season that even separated, they are the best ever at what they do.
Agree. Trying to hold Bill responsible for this truly horrible roster winning 6 games would be like trying to blame Pop for not winning anything after losing their Big 3 & Kawhi. Legacies are untarnished.

Brady is a freak. Seeing this team operate on offence this year makes me appreciate how good he was last year
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #415 on: December 20, 2020, 11:55:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I don't buy this argument at all.  There is talent on the team and to the extent there is not, it is because of Bill.  He has 100% control over the roster decisions.  He can't buy the groceries and then complain when he is missing things. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #416 on: December 21, 2020, 12:26:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I don't buy this argument at all.  There is talent on the team and to the extent there is not, it is because of Bill.  He has 100% control over the roster decisions.  He can't buy the groceries and then complain when he is missing things.
Belichick kept on buying the groceries on a credit card. Eventually you have to pay that bill. And after 19 historic years, the bill came due.

The Pats had tens of millions of dead cap money this year. They lost almost all their top free agents because they couldn't pay them.

This year was eventually going to happen. And yet with Covid, no Hightower or Chung or some others and having all of a million dollars to find a starting QB, they've won 6 games.

They will have higher picks next year. I think $69 million or more In cap money and I think, through all the crap that was this season, they've found some nice players.

I think complaining about Belichick this year leaves out the context of how he has managed things over the last 20 years and what lead to this year.

« Reply #417 on: December 21, 2020, 02:15:43 AM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Last year, with Edelman playing all 16 games, Brady had a QB rating of only 88.0, with 24 TDs. Odds are even he’d be even worse with this receiving core. Throw in opt-outs from 2 defensive leaders, and we might have been only a game or two better WITH Brady.

Which is all to say, we kept it going as long as we could. One losing season is a small price to pay and hardly an indictment of management who kept us as perennial favorites for the better part of 2 decades. If we’re back in contention within the next few years even, that’s just about perfection.

« Reply #418 on: December 21, 2020, 07:40:54 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Belichick kept on buying the groceries on a credit card. Eventually you have to pay that bill. And after 19 historic years, the bill came due.

The Pats had tens of millions of dead cap money this year. They lost almost all their top free agents because they couldn't pay them.

This year was eventually going to happen. And yet with Covid, no Hightower or Chung or some others and having all of a million dollars to find a starting QB, they've won 6 games.

They will have higher picks next year. I think $69 million or more In cap money and I think, through all the crap that was this season, they've found some nice players.

I think complaining about Belichick this year leaves out the context of how he has managed things over the last 20 years and what lead to this year.

Kudos and TP!

That Pats will have plenty of Cap Space (I've read 69M) and currently 11 draft picks; a 1, 2, 3 (comp), 4, 4 (comp), 4 (comp), 5, 6 (from Jets), 6 (from Dallas), 6, and 7.

Like the C's, I thought their #1 priority should have been PG, QB has to be the Pats.  Unless the Pats make some type of trade or they're still believing in Stid, I believe they have to get a QB in rounds 1 or 2.  I was originally hoping for a really bad year and getting Fields, but that ain't happening.  That leaves Lance, Wilson, Trask, Jones.  None of those are eye popping, so maybe you sign a free agent QB or make a deal.  Has everyone given up on Darnold?  At the time, top prospect coming out of college.  I might take a chance here and add a vet like a Dalton.

We'll be OK, as long as BB doesn't draft WR's!  Seems he doesn't understand that position.   ;D ;D ;D
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #419 on: December 21, 2020, 10:34:33 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Last year, with Edelman playing all 16 games, Brady had a QB rating of only 88.0, with 24 TDs. Odds are even he’d be even worse with this receiving core. Throw in opt-outs from 2 defensive leaders, and we might have been only a game or two better WITH Brady.

Which is all to say, we kept it going as long as we could. One losing season is a small price to pay and hardly an indictment of management who kept us as perennial favorites for the better part of 2 decades. If we’re back in contention within the next few years even, that’s just about perfection.
Eh, I don't buy this at all. The offense is all around better than it was last year. The running game, the O-Line, and the receiving core have been much better this year. Edelman was more of a liability last year than anything. Give Tom Brady this O-Line, and he would have gotten us to the playoffs.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum