Author Topic: What about getting Eric Gordon??  (Read 8503 times)

What about getting Eric Gordon??
« on: May 14, 2013, 03:19:15 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
I don't know for sure if somebody already mentioned or suggested this, I thought I seen a post about it in the past, but not sure.

What if we did a trade that brought in Eric Gordon?
I was messing with the trade machine and found a couple of combinations that could land us Gordon.

We move Brandon Bass (6m) 
1 of the 5mil guards: Lee (5m) or  Terry (5m),
1 of the 1+mil guards: Avery (1.6m) or Crawford (1.2m)

We get back Gordon (13.6mil) and Jason Smith (2.5m)

Obviously, If I'm New Orleans I'm asking for ABradley. So the deal would probably be:

Bass
Terry
A.Bradley 

for

E.Gordon
Jas.Smith

Personally, I would do this trade, as hard as it is to willingly trade Bradley considering what he has meant to this team over the past few seasons. Both Avery and Gordon have been injury prone players so far in their young careers, but I'd be willing to risk the investment into Eric Gordon because of one simple reason:   The Celtics Need Offense!!

As good as Avery Bradley is on Defense individually; this year it didn't make up for the sub-par offense of the team as a whole. I mean how many wasted efforts did we see this year, where AB pitbull-ed an opponent and force them into a turnover or bad possession, only to see the C's get the ball and turn it over, or toss up a difficult shot at the end of the shot clock at the other end?

For this reason I think its worth going after Gordon because he's not "horrible" on defense and he gives you so much more on offense (the 3-ball, create on shot, get to basket, good at the free throw line, comfortable in pick'n'rolls, etc.) when healthy. The Celtics need Offense desperately.

In addition to Gordon, we would get Jason Smith, a legit 7 footer, big body, can finish around the rim, and his a decent mid-range game. Smith is coming off a should injury and should be ready for training camp according to reports I read.
The Future/Next Era

I also like this deal because we would have a clear idea of the future core moving forward, (whereas I looked at Bradley as a potential piece of the core, depending on the development of his offensive game). I think I like the idea of having Rondo, Gordon, Green, Sully, (Melo?) as a core into the Next Era.  I also think bringing in Gordon would entice KG to comeback at least 1 more year.

Rondo/T.Williams
Gordon/Lee/Crawford
Green/Pierce/(16th pick or FA)
Sully/Wilcox/Randolph
KG/Smith/Melo

Thoughts?

Re: What about getting Eric Gordon??
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 03:23:06 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Why does NO do this deal?

The contracts of Bass and Lee are precisely what a rebuilding team like the Pelicans (boy, does that feel strange to type) does not need.

I imagine that in exchange for Gordon, NO will likely want a nice young player on a cheap deal and a pick that tracks to be in the lottery, for starters.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 03:36:42 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
What do the three non guaranteed deals add up to? Maybe the prospect of shedding Gordon's salary for non guaranteed deals, first round picks would be something they would look into.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 03:41:12 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
What do the three non guaranteed deals add up to? Maybe the prospect of shedding Gordon's salary for non guaranteed deals, first round picks would be something they would look into.

Roughly $3 mil for next season, assuming that all three are fully unguaranteed.

http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/celtics.jsp
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 03:48:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I like this trade. I think it's a gamble, based on Gordon's injury history, but he certainly has the talent to justify his contract if he can stay healthy.

I'm not sure that Bradley merits that kind of value around the league to be a centerpiece in this deal, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 03:52:51 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
So we get exactly what we want and NO gets our trash?

For the umpteenth time in response to an Eric Gordon trade thread. No.

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 03:57:24 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Sorry I haven't seen what you posted on the other Gordon threads. When you say No do you mean you don't want him here or No there isn't a viable way for Boston to obtain him that makes sense for both teams?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 03:57:54 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Not interested at all myself

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
How does this help NO?

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 04:04:41 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
Why does NO do this deal?

The contracts of Bass and Lee are precisely what a rebuilding team like the Pelicans (boy, does that feel strange to type) does not need.

I imagine that in exchange for Gordon, NO will likely want a nice young player on a cheap deal and a pick that tracks to be in the lottery, for starters.

Right, well I think AB fits the bill for the (nice young player on a cheap deal) desire. And yeah, they probably would desire a lotto pick, for that maybe a 3rd team would have to get involved.

For Bass and Terry or Lee, I'm thinking that they get from under Gordons big contract, and replace it with two contracts shorter by a year, and have pieces to potentially flip into other deals. Maybe now with Bass, you are more apt to move Ryan Anderson 8m 4yr for a lesser player on slightly shorter contract. This is all with the purpose as you point out, to essentially tank for the '14 draft. Which means moving Gordon. In this case moving for Avery Bradley and parts, exploring Bradley's potential, if like it sign him when come off rookie deal, if don't like potential you have options.

You could let him go after rookie deal
trade him right before deal expires,
Next year, could use him as a trade chip during the draft.

But its so hard to say one way or another, because so many other factors can come into play that we (generally) just do not know to even consider. But its fun to speculate anyway haha.

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 04:09:21 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I don't see the benefit for the Hornets.... ehem, I mean the Pelicans.

Gordon maybe overpaid, but I doubt NO would take on more salaries when they are clearly rebuilding around Anthony Davis.

NO hangs up the phone.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 04:19:19 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
I would run from Eric Gordon and his injury issues.  With that contract?  Ouch....

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 06:24:27 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

As currently constituted, yes this trade is completely laughable from NO's point of view, but I do think there is a way to get Eric Gordon if Danny was so inclined as long as he is willing to give up a lot more than that.

Gordon's trade value is probably at an all-time low given his injuries, contract and general attitude with the Hornets. A combination of expiring salary and a young player or pick would probably be enough to do it.

A more reasonable 3 team trade would be:
Boston sends:
PIerce, Terry and Bradley

Boston Receives:
Gordon, Biedrins (expiring), Ezeli and Warriors 2014 first

New Orleans sends:
Gordon

New Orleans Receives:
Bradley, Melo and Jefferson (expiring)

Golden State sends:
Ezeli, Jefferson, Biedrins and 2014 first

Golden State gets:
Pierce and Terry

For the most part that seems fair enough. The Hornets probably want a pick thrown in and the Celtics probably would try and squeeze more out of Golden State.

Personally I'm not all that interested in Eric Gordon unless the Hornets are taking pennies on the dollar.

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 07:25:26 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1771
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't know that Eric Gordon is the type of player you build around. Sure, he can score the ball, but he offers so little in the way of anything else for a near max guy. I honestly wonder how much less Crawford would give you as a number one guy on a bad team [yes, I realize this might be an exaggeration, but not by a lot].

Frankly, NO should be looking at possible deals to get out of that humongous contract...I would MUCH rather have Jeff Green and he gets all kinds of crap for how much money he makes.

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 07:46:33 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Eric Gordon is a TERRIBLE risk that came back out of shape.  Did I mention that he is a BELOW AVG. defendder??

Smitty77

No way do I give up an All-NBA defender that has proven to compliment RR well for an injury prone, chubby, undersize, defenseless SG in Gordon.

Someone asks what the proposed trade does for NO??  It get them out of a terrible contract.

Smitty77