Author Topic: Hornets entertaning offers on Eric Gordon, thoughts?  (Read 7522 times)

Re: Hornets entertaning offers on Eric Gordon, thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 11:29:32 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Would the Celtics be a title contender this year with Eric Gordon here instead of Rondo?

Straight swap.

New lineup

PG: A.Bradley, Terry, Barbosa
SG: E.Gordon, C.Lee
SF: P.Pierce, J.Green
PF: B.Bass, C.Wilcox
C:  K.Garnett, (Kenyon Martin), Jason Collins

Eric Gordon would give this team some much needed shot-creation and firepower offensively. A guy who can create off the dribble, get to the rim, draw fouls and nail long jump-shots at a high level. A genuine 20-25ppg threat. Has turned himself into a good passer and strong pick and roll threat.

A nice 1-2 scoring punch on the wing with Eric Gordon and Paul Pierce together on the wing. Plus, Garnett's offensive value as facilitator (high post shooting and passing) and sometimes shot-creator at center. A couple of offensively capable role players in Jason Terry, Jeff Green, Leandro Barbosa and Brandon Bass.

Eric Gordon is a good (but unexceptional) defensive player. He would be able to contribute about as much defensively as Courtney Lee can. Very good defensive player on chief rival D-Wade -- E.Gordon's lateral quickness and physical strength is very strong, very good at fighting off D-Wade's dribble drive game.

Is that team capable of winning a Championship?

I think it might be. It would have the defense and the offense needed to a win a title. Still a bit worried about the possession creation but, that team would be so good offensively and defensively, they might be able to work around that.

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 11:30:18 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Would the Celtics be a title contender this year with Eric Gordon here instead of Rondo?

Straight swap.

No. But they would be with a good BIG

We're better without Rondo than with Eric Gordon.
You think Eric Gordon would hurt this team? How?

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 11:54:07 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I don''t understand all these "damaged goods" posts. He's young and he recovered from his injuries.

Are Rondo and Sullinger damaged goods?  Rose? Kevin Love? Rubio?  Heck, Rudy Gay missed a year with knee surgery too, he looks great.

You have to buy low on star players. If he's available for a discount we should do it.

I think people are calling him damaged goods due to him always getting injured, not just because of the last injury he got. With that said I pass.

Well, so far in his career, Bradley is always getting injured too. Should we dump him?

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 12:14:55 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Straight swap.

New lineup

Eric Gordon would give this team some much needed shot-creation and firepower offensively. A guy who can create off the dribble, get to the rim, draw fouls and nail long jump-shots at a high level. A genuine 20-25ppg threat. Has turned himself into a good passer and strong pick and roll threat.

A nice 1-2 scoring punch on the wing with Eric Gordon and Paul Pierce together on the wing. Plus, Garnett's offensive value as facilitator (high post shooting and passing) and sometimes shot-creator at center. A couple of offensively capable role players in Jason Terry, Jeff Green, Leandro Barbosa and Brandon Bass.

Eric Gordon is a good (but unexceptional) defensive player. He would be able to contribute about as much defensively as Courtney Lee can. Very good defensive player on chief rival D-Wade -- E.Gordon's lateral quickness and physical strength is very strong, very good at fighting off D-Wade's dribble drive game.

I think it might be. It would have the defense and the offense needed to a win a title. Still a bit worried about the possession creation but, that team would be so good offensively and defensively, they might be able to work around that.

I think you're either overrating Gordon or underrating Lee if you think Gordon can contribute what Lee can defensively.  Lee gave Wade a very difficult time in the two games against Miami I've watched so far when he was assigned to him.  A much harder time than most players give him.

As for the offense, there's no question that he would bring more offensive firepower to the team.  But we can't run a high post offense through KG and pick and roll through Gordon at the same time.  Adding him would be good, but our net value wouldn't be just adding Gordon, because I think the ball in his hands would detract from the offensive games we've seen lately from KG, Terry, Barbosa, and Green.  Also Lee as well due to the sheer decrease in minutes.  Net gain still, but just not as much as it might appear on the surface.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 12:19:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I don''t understand all these "damaged goods" posts. He's young and he recovered from his injuries.

Are Rondo and Sullinger damaged goods?  Rose? Kevin Love? Rubio?  Heck, Rudy Gay missed a year with knee surgery too, he looks great.

You have to buy low on star players. If he's available for a discount we should do it.

I think people are calling him damaged goods due to him always getting injured, not just because of the last injury he got. With that said I pass.

Well, so far in his career, Bradley is always getting injured too. Should we dump him?

We should if he's on a massive contract.

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 12:19:57 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

well, he will want one soon enough.

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 12:25:42 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Straight swap.

No. But they would be with a good BIG

We're better without Rondo than with Eric Gordon.
You think Eric Gordon would hurt this team? How?

C
.H
..E
...M
....I
.....S
......T
.......R
........Y

If we can get Gordon, why not just get a big?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 12:35:17 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I don't know whether that's really the case. Do you really think that teams will pay that much of a premium for what he brings to a team?

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2013, 12:48:58 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I don't know whether that's really the case. Do you really think that teams will pay that much of a premium for what he brings to a team?

Once he boosts his scoring next year, if he can make it through next year without a major injury, his agent will do the necessary work of landing him a great deal, as I'm sure both Bradley and his agent know that the next contract might end up being his last if he goes down with a major injury the way he plays.

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2013, 12:51:31 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
For Rondo, no. But for Bradley, Bass, and a pick I'd do it. If we are looking to next year and beyond, getting Gordon to play with Rondo, Sullinger and Green is a good start.

I would Give up Rondo long before I'd give up Bradley.

Our team defense has improved back to an elite level ever since literally the day Bradley came back. Initially you can argue about small sample sizes but we've played probably just under 20 games since he came back and our defense turned elite instantly since that day.

On the other hand there hasn't been a single area where we've been impacted as badly with Rondo in versus him being out.  Our offense has been just as good with him out, but our defense has been better.

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
That said, still not sure if I'd do this deal.

NO would probably love it because they have been a terrible team ever since they lost their old star PG (Paul) so they'd probably see it as a chance to go back to those days.

Gordon is a VERY good scorer and possibly the one that we need...but just not sure if he'd fit in.  I guess is probably take the gamble, but you'd need to throw Barnosa in the deal too because signing if Gordon woul take him back to being a bench warmer, which he wasn't happy about.  You'd also need to bring him off the bench if you want to keep this elite AB+Lee defense we've been enjoying lately, as I really don't want to break that up.  Would Gordon be willing to come off the bench, and would we want pay max co tract jk eh to a guy who's coming off the bench?

If nothing else Gordon is an excellent trade chip, and he because of he's scoring prowess he's probably more suitable to build around tun Rondo is at this stage.

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2013, 12:57:27 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
For Rondo, no. But for Bradley, Bass, and a pick I'd do it. If we are looking to next year and beyond, getting Gordon to play with Rondo, Sullinger and Green is a good start.

Our team defense has improved back to an elite level ever since literally the day Bradley came back. Initially you can argue about small sample sizes but we've played probably just under 20 games since he came back and our defense turned elite instantly since that day.

On the other hand there hasn't been a single area where we've been impacted as badly with Rondo in versus him being out.  Our offense has been just as good with him out, but our defense has been better.

and here's another vote for support of the idea that Bradley will get a big payday somewhere...

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2013, 12:59:02 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Straight swap.

New lineup

I already consider the Celtics a title contender, so the mere addition of Gordon would be icing on the cake as far as title chances go this year. Might be worth the gamble despite my aversion to give real assets for him due to his injury problems. Considering that Rondo just got his ACL issue, a swap between this two lessens the injury concern all told.

What about in addition to this swap, you can get a Bass and Robin Lopez swap? Maybe include Melo, or a pick or whatever to make it happen if need be.

PF: K.Garnett, (Kenyon Martin)
C:  R.Lopez, C.Wilcox, Jason Collins

That's some some serious offensive/defensive power in this team, and young too, and improved rebounding and length. And you can practically have this team for the next 3 years... and Sully later.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:11:20 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2013, 01:14:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

First of all, you're basing your entire evaluation of Rondo on extremely noisy statistics over a shortish stretch of time where he's on a streaky team and he's not really playing his best. It's like you never saw the team play in your life before this December. Secondly, for all your talk about Bradley's impact, let me know when he has the positive impact on a playoff series as great as Rondo has had on many playoff series.

Oh, and for the record, based on the latest wonderful on/off numbers, our defense with Bradley is pretty much identical to our defense without Bradley, so I guess we can scratch him from the list of players that have an impact on defense. And, while the team has (this year) played better with Rondo on the bench than Bradley on the bench, we've also played better with Rondo on the court than we have with Bradley on the court.

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2013, 01:16:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Straight swap.

New lineup

I already consider the Celtics a title contender

Meaning that you'd be surprised that, barring major injury issues, you'd be fairly surprised if we didn't at least come close to winning the ECF?