Author Topic: Keep Al, Sign Kemba idea that works within cap rules  (Read 24351 times)

Re: Keep Al, Sign Kemba idea that works within cap rules
« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2019, 07:48:29 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Hearing that there is possibility the the Nets could revive S&T talks with the Boston Celtics for Kyrie Irving.

Deals are agreed to, but a ton of moving parts for how these deals are actually executed before anything can be official on 7/6.

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1145473012487139329

Asked in another thread, but is he reliable (Keith Smith)? Guy has changed his stance on this like 5 times already

I personally don’t think he’s that reliable.  I haven’t really found him respectable since the easily debunkable Danny Ainge is secretly meeting Blake Griffin rumors from three summers ago that he thought he broke.

Essentially my theory has been this: the Nets want a first. The Celtics aren’t going to do that unless they have something worth a first lined up.  Right now they don’t.  If it’s Horford (either returning or out via a S&T that brings them something useful) then they probably send out a 1st (likely Milwaukee’s, perhaps their own with some protection).  Otherwise they just do the deal with Charlotte and move forward.  Or perhaps if Horford goes elsewhere the Nets drop their asking price, because they recognize there is less value for the C’s.

What are we trying to accomplish? Being able to sign Al, or creating space to sign a good FA big like Favors? What would the Brooklyn sign and trade accomplish? Our ability to do either? Confused.

You would technically be able to do both. You'd be able to resign Al (and potentially keep rights to Mook) while also getting access to the full MLE for around $9.8M.

« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2019, 08:00:36 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Hearing that there is possibility the the Nets could revive S&T talks with the Boston Celtics for Kyrie Irving.

Deals are agreed to, but a ton of moving parts for how these deals are actually executed before anything can be official on 7/6.

Asked in another thread, but is he reliable (Keith Smith)? Guy has changed his stance on this like 5 times already

Not reliable, but with a week to go I doubt anything is "dead".

Between now and July 6th, how is anything actually "official"? -- How is anything assured if deals/contracts aren't yet signed?

« Reply #167 on: June 30, 2019, 08:02:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Between now and July 6th, how is anything actually "official"? -- How is anything assured if deals/contracts aren't yet signed?

None of it is.  Just handshake agreements.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2019, 08:05:27 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yep

And sometimes players actually do change their minds, although very infrequently.

« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2019, 08:12:22 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
So now that we are sign and trading Rozier for Kemba, are we able to keep Horford's rights and re-sign him to whatever we want?

« Reply #170 on: June 30, 2019, 08:14:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
So now that we are sign and trading Rozier for Kemba, are we able to keep Horford's rights and re-sign him to whatever we want?

Not as reported, but there are a lot of details to be determined.

As reported, a double S&T makes no sense.  We'd be hard-capping ourselves without receiving any apparent benefit. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #171 on: June 30, 2019, 08:14:29 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

"My word is my bond."  --- DeAndre Jordan

« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2019, 08:15:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

"My word is my bond."  --- DeAndre Jordan

Hedo Turkey Glue, too.  And Carlos Boozer.

« Reply #173 on: June 30, 2019, 08:17:06 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Not as reported, but there are a lot of details to be determined.

As reported, a double S&T makes no sense.  We'd be hard-capping ourselves without receiving any apparent benefit.

Thanks Roy. Yeah, I would hope we are getting the ability to keep Horford, or at least the full MLE, if we are doing this.

We need two good big men.

« Reply #174 on: June 30, 2019, 08:23:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Walker will likely technically come to Boston via a trade, with the Athletic reporting that Terry Rozier has agreed to a three-year, $58 million deal with Charlotte and that the two will ultimately switch sides via a sign-and-trade. But since their salaries do not match, the Celtics will either have to include another asset or find a third team to jump in, perhaps involving Kyrie Irving’s departure for the Nets or Al Horford’s departure for another team.
Get Sports Headlines in your inboxThe Globe's most recent sports headlines delivered to your inbox every morning.

There was speculation Sunday the Celtics could be in the midst of a series of sign-and-trade moves to put themselves in position to bring Horford back after all. But a league source indicated on Sunday night this sign-and-trade was not expected to be part of a larger scheme. Instead, it is more likely that it will be a quest for Boston to operate as an over-the-cap team, thus allowing it to have the full $9.2 mid-level exception to use on other free agents rather than just the $4.7 million room exception it would have had if it had signed Walker using cap space.

The Walker deal has seemed imminent for days, of course, and the Celtics’ focus will quickly shift toward bolstering their frontcourt. The sign-and-trade with Rozier that should give them the $9.2 million mid-level exception would be a helpful starting point. Also, they should no longer have to renounce their free agent rights to other players like Horford and Marcus Morris, once again making it possible for those players to return.

But the chances of Horford coming back to Boston still appear slim. While so many free agent deals and meetings have become public knowledge this week, his plan has remained mostly cloaked in secrecy.

According to a league source, Horford plans to speak with several teams on Sunday night and then make a final decision on Monday or Tuesday. He might have no interest in coming back to Boston, or the Celtics might have no interest in upping their initial offer.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2019/06/30/here-are-teams-interested-terry-rozier/4daK3prNsotJe5iuRtWMmK/story.html

« Reply #175 on: June 30, 2019, 08:26:20 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Give it a rest, Al Horford ain't coming back. Let's move our focus to Kanter or Looney!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #176 on: June 30, 2019, 08:27:34 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Give it a rest, Al Horford ain't coming back. Let's move our focus to Kanter or Looney!

We need two centers, so why not Horford by re-signing him, PLUS Kanter/Looney via full MLE

« Reply #177 on: June 30, 2019, 08:28:04 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

I want Derrick Favors! Only 27 years old and can play some defense

« Reply #178 on: June 30, 2019, 08:30:01 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I'd love to have Horford back, but if we're now talking the return of Theis, Morris , Yabu and R. Williams, then adding G. Williams + $9.2M MLE, it's not like we'll be that short on bigs. It will at least be an interesting, hopefully overachieving bunch.

« Reply #179 on: June 30, 2019, 08:30:24 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Walker will likely technically come to Boston via a trade, with the Athletic reporting that Terry Rozier has agreed to a three-year, $58 million deal with Charlotte and that the two will ultimately switch sides via a sign-and-trade. But since their salaries do not match, the Celtics will either have to include another asset or find a third team to jump in, perhaps involving Kyrie Irving’s departure for the Nets or Al Horford’s departure for another team.
Get Sports Headlines in your inboxThe Globe's most recent sports headlines delivered to your inbox every morning.

There was speculation Sunday the Celtics could be in the midst of a series of sign-and-trade moves to put themselves in position to bring Horford back after all. But a league source indicated on Sunday night this sign-and-trade was not expected to be part of a larger scheme. Instead, it is more likely that it will be a quest for Boston to operate as an over-the-cap team, thus allowing it to have the full $9.2 mid-level exception to use on other free agents rather than just the $4.7 million room exception it would have had if it had signed Walker using cap space.

The Walker deal has seemed imminent for days, of course, and the Celtics’ focus will quickly shift toward bolstering their frontcourt. The sign-and-trade with Rozier that should give them the $9.2 million mid-level exception would be a helpful starting point. Also, they should no longer have to renounce their free agent rights to other players like Horford and Marcus Morris, once again making it possible for those players to return.

But the chances of Horford coming back to Boston still appear slim. While so many free agent deals and meetings have become public knowledge this week, his plan has remained mostly cloaked in secrecy.

According to a league source, Horford plans to speak with several teams on Sunday night and then make a final decision on Monday or Tuesday. He might have no interest in coming back to Boston, or the Celtics might have no interest in upping their initial offer.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2019/06/30/here-are-teams-interested-terry-rozier/4daK3prNsotJe5iuRtWMmK/story.html

Interesting. I find both unlikely. I would think Horford was happy here and would love to come back after we got Kemba. I also don't think the Celtics would refuse to pay him after acquiring Kemba, as there are not many other quality options for the front court that would allow them to maximize Kemba and Hayward's prime.

I'm guessing the Nets are posturing in regards to a 3 team sign and trade, holding out for the Memphis pick, and/or Horford's agent is posturing for the additional year that the Celtics could offer him