Author Topic: Nets looking to trade for JaVale McGee  (Read 2465 times)

Nets looking to trade for JaVale McGee
« on: January 25, 2021, 01:26:11 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Hopefully they don’t get him...I’d rather have McGee over Theis or Thompson. 7’ 270lbs and is mobile at that size. Could certainly use someone like that against Embiid, B Lopez, D Jordan, Sabonis and Turner...

https://hoopshype.com/rumors/
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Nets looking to trade for JaVale McGee
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 01:32:16 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
McGee is awful. He’s ok for the Nets considering they gutted their roster , but he won’t make much of a difference. I would not want him on the Celtics

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 01:41:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Nets are also looking at Kevin Love?  Is there to do that besides Dinwiddie and Harris?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 01:50:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Nets are also looking at Kevin Love?  Is there to do that besides Dinwiddie and Harris?
Irving?

Now that would be funny with him back in Cleveland.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 02:07:26 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Do the Nets have any capital to make moves?

JaVale could probably be had for a box of munchins but does Brooklyn even have that?

Love is still in the league?
ok fine

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 02:09:55 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Do the Nets have any capital to make moves?

JaVale could probably be had for a box of munchins but does Brooklyn even have that?

Love is still in the league?

He's still getting paid.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 02:24:54 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
How? Outside of Harris/Dinwiddie, they have nothing else of value to offer. Unless they are trying to unload Kyrie which would be funny as heck.

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 02:29:29 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
How? Outside of Harris/Dinwiddie, they have nothing else of value to offer. Unless they are trying to unload Kyrie which would be funny as heck.
Especially if all they could get for Kyrie would be Love.   ;D

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 03:14:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Lol....Nets are horrid defensively so, of course, they target JaVale McGee and Kevin Love.....because they are such great defenders.

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 04:37:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Especially if all they could get for Kyrie would be Love.   ;D

True, but they did sign Kyrie for free, so it would still be a net gain (if you consider Kevin Love a gain)

And, yeah, this would be amazing  ;D

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 05:42:35 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It makes some sense, I guess. McGee is an athletic rim-runner who plays good interior defence. Blocks a lot of shots and alters some too.

However, I'm struggling to see the point of difference between McGee and DJ. DJ is more efficient and less foul-prone, McGee does everything else better. Neither can defend the perimeter, both are old and past their prime, and neither are starter level bigs on a title contender anymore.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 06:13:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
It makes some sense, I guess. McGee is an athletic rim-runner who plays good interior defence. Blocks a lot of shots and alters some too.

However, I'm struggling to see the point of difference between McGee and DJ. DJ is more efficient and less foul-prone, McGee does everything else better. Neither can defend the perimeter, both are old and past their prime, and neither are starter level bigs on a title contender anymore.

I think it is to set up a rotation at center, where McGee assumes the Allen role?

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 07:01:52 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
FWIW Department: Rumors about Cavs circulating on Twitter with Drummond, McGee, and Love all mentioned as being obtainable. In these rumors, Allen is the Center of the future to go along with Sexton, and the Cavs will be looking for draft capital in return. That pretty much rules out Love or Drummond to the Nets without the Nets giving up one of their Big 3 (which is where a KI trade becomes possible in a multi-team trade). I'd assume all three could be had relatively cheaply. Wouldn't put much credence in any Twitter rumor, but I do believe Allen is their center of the future and the three players mentioned are available.

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 07:55:33 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think it is to set up a rotation at center, where McGee assumes the Allen role?
Maybe, it just seems redundant to me I guess. Especially because at this stage McGee is a better defender than DJ, which could cause Nash to be tempted to start McGee. In and of itself, that isn't an issue. However, KD and Kyrie lobbied for DJ to start over Allen in the first place.

Who knows! Nets are quickly becoming quite a funny team to watch, for all the wrong reasons.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 10:16:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
In order to acquire McGee and his 4.1 million dollar contract the Nets would have to trade at least 2 players and at least one of them is in the rotation unless they decide to move on from Dinwiddie.  Of course, then more players have to come back from the Cavs and I'm not sure why Cleveland would do that as Dinwiddie is injured and is definitely redundant with Sexton and Garland (and it isn't like the Nets have any draft capital). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip