Author Topic: Embarrassed by this forum right now  (Read 5463 times)

Re: Embarrassed by this forum right now
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 04:21:44 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I get why fans overreact to stuff like this.  Sports tends to be reactionary.

I get more frustrated by the dozen or so posters who have a constant axe to grind or agenda to push. They treat talking about sports like reciting talking points for their favored political party, more than happy to misrepresent the truth to push their view on others.

But the temporary stuff like today passes, hopefully disappearing  a couple weeks after a Finals appearance.

Yeah, there are a bit too many prideful prognosticators and not enough armchair analysts.

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 04:21:58 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

I get more frustrated by the dozen or so posters who have a constant axe to grind or agenda to push. They treat talking about sports like reciting talking points for their favored political party, more than happy to misrepresent the truth to push their view on others.

But the temporary stuff like today passes, hopefully disappearing  a couple weeks after a Finals appearance.

As early as next week the "temporary stuff" will pass once Kyrie is still with the Celts.

If Kyrie is still with the Celts after Feb. 7, that means he's not leaving in the summer.

Ainge is not stupid.
If Ainge thinks Kyrie will leave, he'll trade Kyrie on or before the deadline.

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 04:24:32 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

As early as next week the "temporary stuff" will pass once Kyrie is still with the Celts.

If Kyrie is still with the Celts after Feb. 7, that means he's not leaving in the summer.

Ainge is not stupid.

I don't think it's so cut-and-dry. The Celtics would get nothing resembling equal value for Irving at this point. With that in mind, they are better off rolling the dice that Irving would choose to stay.

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 04:32:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Is there anyway to put the many, many Kyrie threads together?

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 04:34:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

But man, I wonder sometimes if some of the people here genuinely enjoy the games with such a fixation on anxieties about the future. How many threads do we get recapping great play, or bad play, or really anything that happens in the games themselves? We have a great roster right now with some amazing talent, and we haven't sucked for like two months, and there's this endless fixation with the potential of what's next or not, instead of what we have in front of us right now. Just sometimes seems like an endless churn of stressing and griping with no real enjoyment or appreciation.

I think this is absolutely correct.  I'm as guilty as anybody of always thinking about the future or the end result rather than enjoying the journey.

That said, for the past 5-6 years all we've heard about from the media and from the Celtics organization is that they're trying to make moves, they're always trying to engineer the next KG trade, they want to contend, etc.

For more than half a decade now, we've been told that we should see the roster as a collection of assets to be traded, and anybody on the team right now might not be here next week let alone next year.  And it makes sense to see it that way because the Celtics front office has made clear that's how they see things.

Until we get some clear indication that there is an actual long term core in place, and that the team plans to build around a specific set of names and faces, it's hard not to be wondering about the next shoe to drop and what the team might look like when Danny is finally done dealing.

Maybe the truth is there will never be an end to it.  Danny's strategy seems to revolve around always looking for a way to turn an asset in hand into a better future asset.

But if it's a never ending process, well, fans will probably never stop wondering aloud and/or anxiously griping about whether the team will ever live up to the exciting mega-contender that we've been invited to imagine they'll be at some undefined time in the near but not immediate future.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 04:35:12 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Ainge is not stupid.

I don't think it's so cut-and-dry. The Celtics would get nothing resembling equal value for Irving at this point. With that in mind, they are better off rolling the dice that Irving would choose to stay.

The Raptors traded their best player, DeRozan, for Kawhi even without an assurance that Kawhi will stay long term with the Raps.

There will be a team out there desperate enough for a superstar like Kyrie.

I'm not part of the anti-Kyrie movement, I'm just saying Ainge will not risk it if Kyrie tells Ainge he'll leave at the end of the season.

What I'm expecting is Kyrie remains a Celtic after Feb. 7 and that will be the first step to Kyrie staying in Boston for a very long time.

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 04:38:26 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Personally I'd rather deal with the people that have their agendas they push.  At least there is some substance to push back against.  Folks that overreact at the drop of the hat are just fools. 

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 04:43:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

This is how "discussion" tends to work in pretty much every part of the Internet, unfortunately.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 04:47:15 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I am going to try to stake claim right down the middle. Hear me out. These two statements can be true at the same time.

1. It would be completely asinine to trade Irving. He is our best player, and personifies the best chance we have to make it to the Finals in the next 3-5 years.

2. Kyrie talks too much. And a product of his inclination to talk too much is that he says things that can be misconstrued easily. This is partially his fault.

Is it wrong to believe both?

It is perfectly reasonable for someone to propose a trade they think will make the team better. Calling the guy a jerk and bashing him personally when he is member of our team, community and has not demanded a trade is a different kind of thing.

Agreed.

And there seems to be something about Kyrie, specifically, that draws a particularly wild kind of criticism. I have my own theories about what it is behind some of it but I don't want to paint everyone with the same brush. There are real criticisms to be made of Kyrie and complaining about our players is half the point of a place like this, but the way some people lose their minds over nothing is kind of, yeah, embarrassing.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 04:55:50 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I have been on Celtics blog since it started and I think today is probably the most embarrassed I have been on this forum. We have an in his prime all star that has been a contributing member of the Boston community, has never been involved in any crime or morally questionable behaviors from what I have heard and has been involved in some nice civic causes. Yet, if you come to this forum right now it is like the guy slept with a bunch of our wives. People are calling him a jerk and say they want him gone. For what exactly?

This is how we get a reputation as a crappy fanbase from outsiders. Do you think half the threads on liberty ballers are calling Embid a jerk and saying the 76ers should trade him if he complains about his touches? Do people think that future NBA stars that may have a chance to come play for Boston are going to be intrigued by
the fans calling hayward awful for coming off a gruesome injury and for Irving to be traded because he doesn't say exactly what we want him to say at the exact time? If I was a free agent to be or considering playing for Boston I would see this stuff (we are the most prominent fan site there is probably) and it is flat out embarrassing to represent ourselves this way. I would take a step back and think about all that.

TP Clay. The negativity here recently has been unreal. Every other fanbase except the Warriors' would kill to be where we're at right now and half the base seems intent on our own destruction.

SMH

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 04:58:08 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I think this whole anti-Kyrie thing will go away after Kyrie is still a Celtic after the trade deadline.

Once Kyrie is still a Celtic after the trade deadline, that means he's staying in Boston.

On the other hand, if Ainge thinks Kyrie will leave, I'm sure Ainge will trade him on or before the trade deadline.

But I don't think Kyrie is going anywhere.
Some Celtic fans simply don't like Kyrie, for whatever reason.

It won’t. Lol.

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2019, 05:25:42 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I have been on Celtics blog since it started and I think today is probably the most embarrassed I have been on this forum. We have an in his prime all star that has been a contributing member of the Boston community, has never been involved in any crime or morally questionable behaviors from what I have heard and has been involved in some nice civic causes. Yet, if you come to this forum right now it is like the guy slept with a bunch of our wives. People are calling him a jerk and say they want him gone. For what exactly?

This is how we get a reputation as a crappy fanbase from outsiders. Do you think half the threads on liberty ballers are calling Embid a jerk and saying the 76ers should trade him if he complains about his touches? Do people think that future NBA stars that may have a chance to come play for Boston are going to be intrigued by
the fans calling hayward awful for coming off a gruesome injury and for Irving to be traded because he doesn't say exactly what we want him to say at the exact time? If I was a free agent to be or considering playing for Boston I would see this stuff (we are the most prominent fan site there is probably) and it is flat out embarrassing to represent ourselves this way. I would take a step back and think about all that.

TP Clay. The negativity here recently has been unreal. Every other fanbase except the Warriors' would kill to be where we're at right now and half the base seems intent on our own destruction.

SMH
I don't think the Sixers or Bucks fans would.  Denver fans probably wouldn't. 

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2019, 05:33:18 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

Well said.

Maybe this is why Davis doesn't want to come here. He knows if he sprains his ankle he'll be lambasted on here for dogging it.

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2019, 05:36:03 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Yes our fanbase is a disgrace on this event, i feel ashamed for it

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2019, 05:53:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Well said.

Maybe this is why Davis doesn't want to come here. He knows if he sprains his ankle he'll be lambasted on here for dogging it.

yea I don't necessarily think these are top level factors, but it certainly doesn't help.