Poll

It's the Summer of 2019 (or sometime in the future, like 2020 Trade Deadline). AD rejects the supermax deal, and wants out. Pelicans taking offers for AD but they 100% want Tatum from the Celtics in the deal. Would you (Ainge) still do it?

Yes
61 (59.8%)
No
24 (23.5%)
I Don't Know (Yet)
17 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: If needed, should Ainge actually put Tatum in package for AD? Nope, walk away.  (Read 24504 times)

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Tatum, Brown, picks for AD and I wouldn’t think twice. Matching salary will be an issue but Ainge will figure it out.
I'd trade both Brown and Tatum to get AD assuming he gives indications that he'd re-sign with us.  The trade can't be actually made until Kyrie re-signs in free agency.  So the players chosen with those "NOP picks" can be signed and used to help salary match. 

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Tatum, Brown, picks for AD and I wouldn’t think twice. Matching salary will be an issue but Ainge will figure it out.
I'd trade both Brown and Tatum to get AD assuming he gives indications that he'd re-sign with us.  The trade can't be actually made until Kyrie re-signs in free agency.  So the players chosen with those "NOP picks" can be signed and used to help salary match.

Tatum and Brown and the Memphis and Sacto picks seems like way better than anyone else could offer.  I'd hope to keep Brown or the Memphis pick out of it. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Tatum and Brown and the Memphis and Sacto picks seems like way better than anyone else could offer.  I'd hope to keep Brown or the Memphis pick out of it.

I’m predicting Tatum + Smart + Williams + three #1s

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Right there with you Roy. That meets the salary and doesn't completely ruin the Boston bench.

Kyrie
Brown
Hayward
Davis
Horford

Yabusele
Ojeleye
Baynes
Morris or Rozier(re-signed after Horford opts out and comes back next year much cheaper to afford Morris or Rozier)
Wanamaker
Taxpayer MLE wing
Vet min contracts to fill out the rest

I think that's a team that can win it all.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Right there with you Roy. That meets the salary and doesn't completely ruin the Boston bench.

Kyrie
Brown
Hayward
Davis
Horford

Yabusele
Ojeleye
Baynes
Morris or Rozier(re-signed after Horford opts out and comes back next year much cheaper to afford Morris or Rozier)
Wanamaker
Taxpayer MLE wing

I think a Danny will fight to keep Smart like he did Rondo. Smart won’t be a deal breaker. Tatum would be and Danny will have to include him in the offer.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Kyrie
Brown
Hayward
Davis
Horford

Yabusele
Ojeleye
Baynes
Wanamaker
Taxpayer MLE wing

I think a Danny will fight to keep Smart like he did Rondo. Smart won’t be a deal breaker. Tatum would be and Danny will have to include him in the offer.
Except without Smart's $12.5 million being included, the Celtics have little chance to match money.

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Kyrie
Brown
Hayward
Davis
Horford

Yabusele
Ojeleye
Baynes
Wanamaker
Taxpayer MLE wing

Except without Smart's $12.5 million being included, the Celtics have little chance to match money.
Horford makes enough money. Unlikely that he's going to decline that juicy player option.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

Bolding mine: Is that still the case? I thought that there are new restrictions on using a draft pick signee for salary in a trade. Maybe somebody can help me out.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Bolding mine: Is that still the case? I thought that there are new restrictions on using a draft pick signee for salary in a trade. Maybe somebody can help me out.

Thanks,
Mike

Historically you had to wait 30 days after a pick signed to include their salary in a trade. I think that’s still the case but I haven’t looked it up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Kyrie
Brown
Hayward
Davis
Horford

Yabusele
Ojeleye
Baynes
Wanamaker
Taxpayer MLE wing

Horford will not be going anywhere unless he wants to. Horford has the ability to opt out so if Danny tries to include Horford, Al can simply opt out and screw things up. Danny knows this so he would have to get Al's permission to be included and I doubt Al gives it.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I think it will be less than that.

I'm guessing the Pels will end up like most other teams that wait too long to trade their star, and end up with a less than expected return.  It seems like it always happens.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Kyrie
Brown
Hayward
Davis
Horford

Yabusele
Ojeleye
Baynes
Wanamaker
Taxpayer MLE wing

If money won’t work otherwise then I we will have no choice. If money not an issue, I think Danny would rather include Brown than Smart. Tatum a given.

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Kyrie
Brown
Hayward
Davis
Horford

Yabusele
Ojeleye
Baynes
Wanamaker
Taxpayer MLE wing

Horford will not be going anywhere unless he wants to. Horford has the ability to opt out so if Danny tries to include Horford, Al can simply opt out and screw things up. Danny knows this so he would have to get Al's permission to be included and I doubt Al gives it.

Obviously Horford wouldn't like being traded, but if he doesn't pick up his option, he has to go elsewhere as well. Via a trade there are probably good destinations available (not necessarily New Orleans, 3-team-trade possible, maybe to Minnesota or Portland), so why leave millions on the table out of spite? No team is going to give a 33-year old player a 30-million-a-year-contract (unless you're Chris Paul or LeBron James). Probably more in the neighbourhood of 15-20 million, like an Ariza contract and he had to settle initially for the Phoenix Suns. That's isn't that attractive either.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Kyrie
Brown
Hayward
Davis
Horford

Yabusele
Ojeleye
Baynes
Wanamaker
Taxpayer MLE wing

Well, we still can't trade for Davis until July 1st, regardless.  But by then Al has to have made his choice to opt in or not.  So if Al opts in, Ainge could trade him.  I doubt Ainge plans on giving Al any assurances about such matters one way or the other.

But I can't see the Pels wanting Horford, nor Ainge trading him anyways.  He's more valuable to Boston as a player than a trade chip.