Author Topic: When are we going to recognize that we DO have a star on this team  (Read 4604 times)

Re: When are we going to recognize that we DO have a star on this team
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 09:54:14 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Smart will be a star soon enough. Brad is great and we are using and bring Smart up perfectly. winning games, starting spot, no pressure on O, sucess already on D.

Remember how long pgs take (rondo was kind of an exception) look at billups. he didn't look like a star for years. Smart is already better on D than Billups ever was.

It gets better, he is on the first year of a rookie contract.

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 04:37:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Great coaches still need great talent to win, though, don't they?
We may not have elite talent but watching the Atlantic leading Raptors play is there really a big gap talent wise between us and them?
There is a pretty wide talent gap and what does being as good as Toronto achieve anyway.  Isn't the goal to win titles?  I assume you don't think Toronto is winning titles.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 04:41:20 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Smart will be a star soon enough. Brad is great and we are using and bring Smart up perfectly. winning games, starting spot, no pressure on O, sucess already on D.

Remember how long pgs take (rondo was kind of an exception) look at billups. he didn't look like a star for years. Smart is already better on D than Billups ever was.

It gets better, he is on the first year of a rookie contract.
I agree on Smart. I would also add that IT4 is quickly becoming a star.

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 04:44:35 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
We may not have elite talent but watching the Atlantic leading Raptors play is there really a big gap talent wise between us and them?
There is a pretty wide talent gap and what does being as good as Toronto achieve anyway.  Isn't the goal to win titles?  I assume you don't think Toronto is winning titles.
After watching the C's play the Raptors throughout the season I don't think the talent gap is wide at all.

You need to walk before you can fly. We just need to improve every year. The C's next goal should be the division and then after that they can move towards further goals. I have faith in Ainge's ability to improve the team using the assets that they have and our coach to develop them.

The only measure of success isn't winning titles. Realistically as long as the team improves every year and is heading in the right direction I am satisfied.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 05:29:57 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
After watching the C's play the Raptors throughout the season I don't think the talent gap is wide at all.

You need to walk before you can fly. We just need to improve every year. The C's next goal should be the division and then after that they can move towards further goals. I have faith in Ainge's ability to improve the team using the assets that they have and our coach to develop them.

The only measure of success isn't winning titles. Realistically as long as the team improves every year and is heading in the right direction I am satisfied.

TP and well said.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 06:11:13 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Even Pop said the recipe for his success was drafting Tim Duncan.

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 06:13:32 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Yes and this year we should have gotten a top pick in order to improve and move forward.

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 06:32:05 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Yes and this year we should have gotten a top pick in order to improve and move forward.

The difference in future team improvement between getting the 10th pick and the 16th pick is a complete unknown.

For all we know, the 16th player taken in this draft could well turn out to be better than the 10th pick.  It's so frustrating to me when folks complain about sacrificing the future based on what position we get in the draft.

For some reason, many still seem to think that there's an exact, linear correlation between where a team picks in the draft and how much a team will be able to improve its future.

How well a team drafts and how well a team develops the players drafted is much more important than the position in which a team drafts. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 06:59:15 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
You need star players to win championships, not a "star" coach.

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 07:50:08 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Brad being a star will help attract free agent stars.  I dream of Deandre!  :-)
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 12:46:42 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I have a lot of confidence in Brad. He convinced me he will bring Boston back to our old winning ways with what he has done with this roster. The players themselves deserve a bulk of the credit as well, they seem to want to give it 110% night in and out.

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 01:48:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

They all need talent to win to some degree but there are a few that routinely get their talent to play above their level.   I think he is one of those guys.   He certainly was at Butler.   I was happy when we got him, and I am still pretty happy with him.

I think once the trade moves came, he had more options.   Adding IT, Crowder and Jerebko and losing Sully and his D, helped CBS immensely and helped our team's Defensive DNA as he calls it.   He also is not afraid to ride a hot guy or bench someone who is playing poorly.   He plays every game to win it.   We may lose a series but I feel confident we are in good hands.

I do think IT is a star level talent at times.   What he can do at his size is amazing, maybe no one since Tiny has done it.

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 02:07:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Maybe one day ......CBS will be appealing enough coach .......to say to a FA

Hey Man ,  come play ball at my house. ;)