Author Topic: Time for AB to show up  (Read 3542 times)

Re: Time for AB to show up
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 10:40:45 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
AB has been terrible.  Give Terrence his minutes, or at least most of them.  If AB shows signs of life, ok play him, but if not, sit him.  AB is not one of our best players and we should not go down with him playing terrible while playing big minutes.

That's what happened.  Not technically with Terrence taking his minutes per se but Bradley got pulled a little more than four minutes into the third quarter last night.  Had Bradley made some open jumpers, made a difference against Felton or not taken a bad shot (a 18 footer on the baseline with no teammate inside the three point line, which he missed and which caused Doc to throw up his hands in frustration), I assume he would've stayed out there but the leash has been shortened and he was pulled early. It helps that Terry played a great first half and Doc seems to have confidence in him again. 

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 10:46:29 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm starting to think Bradley is hurt, I haven't seen him not be able to stay in front of his man like this against any pg
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 10:55:10 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I'm starting to think Bradley is hurt, I haven't seen him not be able to stay in front of his man like this against any pg

I think one of the dirty secrets, or maybe it's just me is that Bradley wasn't even all that good last year in stopping penetration.  I know about his defensive numbers and the defensive numbers of the team when he's out there, they're amazing but his defense can be more flash than substance at times.  Many times he gets right in the face of point guards and since this is the freaking NBA and NBA point guards tend to be very athletic and great ballhandlers, they weather his pressure for a bit and then go right by him.  No defender can play that close to his man and not get beat.  It's really bugged me.  Bradley is unquestionably quick but he also needs to respect his opponent more.  If he played just a teeny tiny bit more off, nobody could get by him without a screen, nobody.

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 11:05:14 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
At the age of 22, his defense is far beyond what most players in the NBA are struggling to do, only being good on one end of the floor.
Um no, his defense is a classical example of "it was good while it lasted" situation. Yeah, it worked before the opposition figured it out (and it needed some figuring out, since no-one else in the NBA really does that). At this point, he's getting beaten off the dribble and goaded into easy fouls with regularity.

All point guards get beaten off of the dribble, especially when picks are involved. I don't think that his play has been great on either side of the ball but I also think that his defensive impact is lessened when we play teams with multiple ball handling guards in the lineup.
Yes, but right now he's beaten off the dribble when picks aren't involved. I mean, it's great when you pressure the ballhandler and all, but there is a reason why players do not play that close to their opponent.

Sure, Bradley may be faster than most of those guys, but he clearly hasn't been able to compensate with this.

I find it curious that he's recently started to back off of the guy he's guarding, which has made him a roundly underwhelming player to watch. Well, at least he's not infuriating, that's somewhat of a progress.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 11:05:33 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2970

yeah , I think so...is really off his game in defense of late ,  probally some nagging stuff. mixed with nerves of playoffs ( think its his first?) and trying to do too much .

AB is n't ready to take control the ball and the club as it sets up on offensive side of the ball.  He is a good player off  the ball.   He is still a rookie at playoff ball and miles to go to be a point guard.

Let Twill bring the ball up court .

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2013, 11:13:11 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
AB had 248 playoff minutes under his belt before this series.  Felton had 282. T Will had zero, and he isn't quaking in his sneakers every time Fat Boy Felton or Pablo Grandpa-ioni goes to pressure his dribble.   

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2013, 11:39:22 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
At the age of 22, his defense is far beyond what most players in the NBA are struggling to do, only being good on one end of the floor.
Um no, his defense is a classical example of "it was good while it lasted" situation. Yeah, it worked before the opposition figured it out (and it needed some figuring out, since no-one else in the NBA really does that). At this point, he's getting beaten off the dribble and goaded into easy fouls with regularity.

All point guards get beaten off of the dribble, especially when picks are involved. I don't think that his play has been great on either side of the ball but I also think that his defensive impact is lessened when we play teams with multiple ball handling guards in the lineup.
Yes, but right now he's beaten off the dribble when picks aren't involved. I mean, it's great when you pressure the ballhandler and all, but there is a reason why players do not play that close to their opponent.

I would definitely agree that Bradley needs to add some savvy to his defense, I've said as much in the past. I just think he's got all the tools to be a very good defender and wasn't just a flash in the pan. Even if you think that his defense is mainly hustle and effort that still puts him ahead of most players.

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2013, 03:24:49 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Last season Doc estimated AB starter and Ray bench player. I think Dooc was wrong, and this season is proving this fact. AB has to be considered as bench player.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 03:40:54 PM by eugen »

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2013, 03:27:04 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
i love AB...love his demeanor...love his defense...

and...

it is time for him to show up...

i hate to say it...but...none of this he's better with rondo argument...

you're either a player to build around or you're complementary/role player...

time for AB to show us which one...

i know he's young...been hurt...been thrust into the pg position and ball-handling duties when he's not really suited for it...

but...35%FG is not going to cut it...

and...the knicks guards have been torching us...all of them...AB needs to shut somebody down this game...not slow them down...shut them down...and...prove he is the top-caliber defender we know him to be...

and...he needs to shoot well and score around 15 pts...if he doesn't...i don't think we win...

it's time for AB to show up...

i think he will and i think we will win...

It is odd to me that Felton played to well against him. I've never seen anyone take AB off the dribble and to the hole like that.

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2013, 03:51:11 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
AB rounds into form next year when Rondo returns. AB is not a point guard. Ball-handling duties have deferred his focus from his natural abilities.

However - becoming Boston's ball handler wasn't by choice, so the kid deserves some slack. He's back to thinking about his shots too much before he takes them. That sort of stuff tends to work itself out on it's own - we've seen it before with AB but we've also seen him work his way through it. When he is back to playing SG on offense and defending opposing team's PG, he will look more like the player he is (was).

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2013, 04:10:23 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Last season Doc estimated AB starter and Ray bench player. I think Dooc was wrong, and this season is proving this fact. AB has to be considered as bench player.

No, he was absolutely right when he made that decision. It was clearly the best move for the team.