Author Topic: The lebron dunk on terry  (Read 14991 times)

Re: The lebron dunk on terry
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2013, 02:25:03 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
looking at the postings on this thread, the opinions seem to break down by younger/newer followers of the NBA vs the older followers here.

I don't get the fascination for what Lebron did or 'posterizing' another player.  to me, that just shows ignorance/lack of appreciation for the game.  style over substance. 

I think Bron's winning basket was a lot more impressive than a dunk over a much smaller player who was trying to get in on the play at the last second.  Sadly, his winning bucket shows he's come a long way towards becoming a more complete player that can win a game in ways other than plowing over people and counting on the refs blowing a whistle if he misses.

You are comparing apples and oranges here. No one is refuting the impressiveness of his game winner.

Old/young followers of the NBA? Is that a joke? Maybe some of us just like physical basketball.

Oh well in that case you contradicted yourself because the game was WAY more physical in the day of you old folk

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2013, 02:29:50 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
you guys are babies
roflllll

jet got embarassed.
if i were lebron i wouldve looked at jason like an idiot too.

like it was said earlier...if it we jeff posterizing chalmers or cole or even RAY ALLEN, you all would be Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing in your pants.

get out.

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2013, 02:30:33 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
you guys are babies
roflllll

jet got embarassed.

like it was said earlier...if it we jeff posterizing chalmers or cole or even RAY ALLEN, you all would be ****ing in your pants.

get out.

[dang] I love this guy

never given a TP to anyone before, here it comes buddy

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2013, 02:32:52 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
A dunk is like the holy grail of basketball plays.

And herein lies the philosophical difference of opinion.

To me, this is just very naive, lacking in appreciation for the true meaning of the game, view.

Holy grail of basketball plays?

How?  The result was simply two points.  How are two points scored on a dunk any more meaningful than two point scored on beautiful ball-movement, leading to a "mundane" weak-side, wide open layup?

I'm far more impressed with the latter.

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2013, 02:35:12 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

To me, this is just very naive, lacking in appreciation for the true meaning of the game, view.

How?  The result was simply two points.  How are two points scored on a dunk any more meaningful than two point scored on beautiful ball-movement, leading to a "mundane" weak-side, wide open layup?

i agree with this line of thinking
but there's an added 'something' when you dunk over a player who's trying to block you

it's like we shouldn't be excited about the dunk Jeff had last time we played -- over Bosh I think. No, it was great because Jeff sent a message like 'ure not stopping me'...it's more too it.

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2013, 02:36:14 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday

I'm not expecting to you to agree with that statement. I love dunks. Something about players getting all the way to the rim and throwing it down with anger. It's like a legal taunt. It brings energy. It fires up the team. It fires ME up. Especially oops.

Regardless - whether you agree or not - JT getting in the way constitutes him as getting owned. No questions asked. He fell down and was the victim of a LeBron dunk. No, not nearly as devastating as the Knight dunk, but owned nonetheless

EDIT: How ignorant. Just because I love dunks, and you don't agree - I lack "appreciation for the true meaning of the game"?

Lets get philosophical, then. What is the true meaning of the game, Socrates? Do you expect your answer to that question to be universal? What a joke

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2013, 02:41:22 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
you guys are babies
roflllll

jet got embarassed.

like it was said earlier...if it we jeff posterizing chalmers or cole or even RAY ALLEN, you all would be ****ing in your pants.

get out.

Lol exactly! Well said. Jet deserved the stare down from lebron. All JET ever does is talk trash *And I love jet but its true* Lebron gave him the "You really just tried to stop me? ARE YOU INSANE?!!!?" look lol.

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2013, 02:43:13 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Lebron made Terry look like a kid playing on the tracks when the train was coming. The dunk itself wasn't amazing or anything, but the set up made it so much worse. Terry never saw it coming.

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2013, 02:44:17 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Lebron made Terry look like a kid playing on the tracks when the train was coming. The dunk itself wasn't amazing or anything, but the set up made it so much worse. Terry never saw it coming.

ROFL!!!
man, that's funny.

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2013, 02:53:14 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Again I liked dunks when I was 8 and had Shaq posters in my room. Since then I just grew out of them.

Its like in football when someone tackles another guy and starts jumping up and down and posing. Good job good effort to those guys. You just made a play you were supposed to make.

I sill don't get the ownig thing. It wasn't like terry was guarding lebron or had a chance at doing anything to stop the dunk. It was a 3-1 break. It sounds like people legitmately think that people should get out of dunkers way or they "pay the price" or "get owned" whatever the hell those two statements mean.

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2013, 02:56:49 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Again I liked dunks when I was 8 and had Shaq posters in my room. Since then I just grew out of them.

Its like in football when someone tackles another guy and starts jumping up and down and posing. Good job good effort to those guys. You just made a play you were supposed to make.

I sill don't get the ownig thing. It wasn't like terry was guarding lebron or had a chance at doing anything to stop the dunk. It was a 3-1 break. It sounds like people legitmately think that people should get out of dunkers way or they "pay the price" or "get owned" whatever the hell those two statements mean.

Oh give me a break man lol. To each its own tho. I never heard someone say they "Grew out of dunks" tho lol. That's a new one.

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2013, 02:57:06 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

bro
if it's a 3 on 1 and i'm javale mcgee, hell yea i go up for the block, cuz i'm long and that's kind of my thing.
if I'm jason terry, i get out of the way. i have no chance. no point in risking 3 points (fouling) when he can just get a nice highlight dunk...and then on the other end, i can get it right back.

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2013, 02:58:23 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Oh give me a break man lol. To each its own tho. I never heard someone say they "Grew out of dunks" tho lol. That's a new one.

Cs fans/homers come up with anything, man. lol

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2013, 03:04:32 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I guess I would expect most celtics fans to have the "Whatever not that good of a dunk" response. Still, there's people all over the world praying for terry after that poster! OWWWE! NASTY!

If green or pierce did that to ANYONE on the heat you guys would have lost your minds lol. Lebron probably stared him down because terry always trash talks lebron. "A well deserved tech" give me a break lol.

Terry being short takes nothing away from that dunk for me. He still got owned plan and simple. Plus because of terrys mouth nobody will cut him slack for it. Nobody but celtics fans. What did you want lebron to do? Not dunk on him because hes taller than terry?  ::)

I has nothing to do with the dunk.  We expect that level from a player like Lebron.  Was the dunk above what what he usually does when he has such a clear path to the basket? 

Doing it over a PG sized player doesn't make a huge difference in terms of impressing me.  He made the play that I would expect him to make. 

Just like I am not impressed when a monster truck drives over a car.  Sure, it is cool to watch, but it isn't anything impressive anymore.

The dunk didn't "Impress me" per say. It wasn't something I knew lebron wasn't capable of, but it was still nasty and terry got owned. There's no way around it.

By some of you guys definition, no dunk is ever good or impressive unless its on a guy the same height or taller. To me what you guys are doing is "Damage control".

This guy is right. A dunk is like the holy grail of basketball plays. When someone gets to the rim for an emphatic slam, and someone gets in the way to become collateral damage, how does that NOT increase the hype-factor?

Like honestly if Jeff Green knocked Mario Chalmers on his ass on a vicious slam, would anyone here say "Chalmers was making the right play at the right time and thus the he wasn't owned". Of course not.

Damage control is right.....

I never found the "dunk" the ultimate basketball play.

I think the "block" that lead to the "fast break" was the ultimate basketball play.  (The Bill Russell special)

I have never been that "hyped" about a Celtics dunk where I scream about "that guy got owned"

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2013, 03:05:34 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Personal attacks are not allowed. 

Feel free to disagree with others' ideas, but stay away from the petty name calling.

This is the last warning.