Author Topic: When did this team become so soft?  (Read 7729 times)

When did this team become so soft?
« on: April 02, 2011, 12:32:31 AM »

Offline Celtics/Run

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 35
They have no interior presence or physicality. They can't rebound. Or they get rebounds ripped from them by scrubs. This team is tissue right now with their fade away Fourth quarter jump shots...

Re: When did this team become so soft?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 12:34:14 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Isnt it funny that the team becomes soft as soon as their meanest most intimidating force gets traded? Not a coincidence here.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 12:37:09 AM »

Offline Celtics/Run

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 35
Isnt it funny that the team becomes soft as soon as their meanest most intimidating force gets traded? Not a coincidence here.

You may have a point, even KG is getting man handled out there by Za Za...

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 12:42:33 AM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Missing Perk and Shaq for sure. BBD and KG can't bring it the way Perk and Shaq can.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 12:46:38 AM »

Offline PseudoElite

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 42
Well, not having any Centers is probably a bad thing.

Kristic was only doing a so-so job at best, and he's down too.

Now we have 6 foot something Big Baby Davis getting hammered by taller and stronger players.

I'm not convinced with the "Celtics lost their toughness because of Perkins trade" until I see both O'Neals playing consistent minutes.

If even with the O'Neals we get killed in the center, then I'd say it's time for the big 3 to head to a retirement home.

But otherwise, let's wait and see. BBD isn't a Center, not even close.

Celtics' turn on switch for the playoffs: the last bastion of hope for battered Celtic fans.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 01:28:34 AM »

Offline manbehindtheman

• NCE
  • Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11

Now we have 6 foot something Big Baby Davis getting hammered by taller and stronger players.

I'm not convinced with the "Celtics lost their toughness because of Perkins trade" until I see both O'Neals playing consistent minutes.

If even with the O'Neals we get killed in the center, then I'd say it's time for the big 3 to head to a retirement home.

the minute the O'neals start playing playoff minutes they will go down with another leg injury...just watch in a few weeks  >:(

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 01:31:16 AM »

Offline PseudoElite

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 42

the minute the O'neals start playing playoff minutes they will go down with another leg injury...just watch in a few weeks  >:(

Way to go with the optimism. There's a reason they are getting so  much rest in the regular season (besides injuries, trust me).

Ainge is a pretty smart dude, I hope he knows something that we don't about the O'Neals.
Celtics' turn on switch for the playoffs: the last bastion of hope for battered Celtic fans.

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 01:35:53 AM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
When did we become soft? Good question. I don't remember the Celts ever being soft in the 3 years I've been a fan.

Until the latest trade named JO and Green. They are the only players I've ever seen on the team who refuse to sacrifice their bodies for their team. I can understand JO being so injured and hesitant, but still, if he wasn't going to be able to, he shouldn't have joined such a physical team. Green is a whole nother story and is irritating the heck out of me. He simply WON'T allow himself to be hacked...ever. Everyone else is out there getting all beat up and he is always outside looking in. He won't even go for a rebound because he might get bumped. He needs to get some fire and start fighting, or he's going to lose his place.

Hurt is not being soft. Our older players get injured more easily and that is causing some problems.

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 02:15:55 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 02:31:16 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

This team was real soft last year during the regular season, too.  This team plays soft when they don't have energy and focus.

Perk helped with that, but he wasn't the source of our toughness.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 03:13:22 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I didn't think they looked soft last night against the Spurs.  This was always a game that had the potential to get away from them after last night's grueling battle. 

Unfortunately, I got my hopes up when they seemed to be in control of the game up until midway through the third quarter.  Alas, the legs weren't there down the stretch. 

I would never describe this team as soft, however.  We have some very mentally tough dudes on this team, and I think that toughness will show up yet again when the playoffs hit. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 11:48:47 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Gee, I don't know.

Maybe when they traded away the best interior presence in the league for a backup SF

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 11:58:03 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, as much as I love Perk - he was not the end-all to this team. No one Celtic has EVER held that title.

Bill Russell couldn't win it by himself, neither could Larry, or Paul.

The main reason I love The Celtics is their Team ball - no Kobe-ball here.

Soft? They didn't look soft in San Antonio, NY or New Orleans - and they didn't look soft last night.

And no disrespect to Perk, but he couldn't help OKC last night against a determined Portland team.

JO will certainly help our interior, and so will Shaq - starting tomorrow once he returns.

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 12:03:11 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Well, as much as I love Perk - he was not the end-all to this team. No one Celtic has EVER held that title.

Bill Russell couldn't win it by himself, neither could Larry, or Paul.

The main reason I love The Celtics is their Team ball - no Kobe-ball here.

Soft? They didn't look soft in San Antonio, NY or New Orleans - and they didn't look soft last night.

And no disrespect to Perk, but he couldn't help OKC last night against a determined Portland team.

JO will certainly help our interior, and so will Shaq - starting tomorrow once he returns.

I feel what you're saying...but teams have had NO trouble attacking the hoop since the trade.  We built the lead on Atlanta when they were settling for jump shots.  They started pounding the ball inside and we crumbled.

That's constantly the case.  When Parker was attacking the hoop we were tied at the half.  then Matt Bonner starts shooting threes in the second half and we took over

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 12:31:17 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11843
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
When they traded the team's enforcer to OKC, who instantly got a lot tougher.

We have no inside presence or intimidator in the paint.  If Shaq can come back, that would go a long way to giving us a presence in the paint again. But for now, we have none.