Author Topic: When can we call the Wafer chance a mistake?  (Read 4623 times)

When can we call the Wafer chance a mistake?
« on: November 30, 2010, 10:06:32 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Yeah he only played 4 minutes but the effort, teamwork and even body language this guy puts into his game makes me wonder.  Is he just on team for a trade at this point?  A healthy Bradley has to help more.  Von Wafer doesn't seem to have much of any relationship with anyone on team.  Appears to be he is just collecting a paycheck and hates being on celtics.  Anyone notice the foul he committed near end of game?  No reason for it, sort of lazy thing to do OR he wanted a chance to get ball and shoot.

Re: When can we call the Wafer chance a mistake?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 10:08:25 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If his contract becomes fully guaranteed. 

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 10:08:29 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I mean hes the 12th man so im not expecting much... Maybe hes got an attitude problem, but he may start clicking at some point? We'll see, not really a big pro or con either way.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 10:12:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Yes, you can't call a non-guaranteed vet min player a mistake. It's like calling the 60th pick in the draft a bust.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 10:18:30 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Yes, you can't call a non-guaranteed vet min player a mistake. It's like calling the 60th pick in the draft a bust.

wonderful point. TP!
- LilRip

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 10:30:19 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
When he gets cut.  So far he has exceeded my expectations.  Wafer is a 13th man.  He wasn't good enough to stay on his European team last year.  The fact that he has played (and played reasonably well) rotation minutes this season has been a huge plus.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 10:43:29 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
When he gets cut.  So far he has exceeded my expectations.  Wafer is a 13th man.  He wasn't good enough to stay on his European team last year.  The fact that he has played (and played reasonably well) rotation minutes this season has been a huge plus.

TP I totally agree. He hasn't cracked an active rotation yet, but the few spurts I have seen his shot seemed fluid and his handle was pretty well. He made a jumper one on play. Next play he drove in and made a nice pass to an open Celtic. I would like to see more play from him, but so far this team has struggled to hold leads even against the sorriest of teams. Maybe we can get a blowout against a team like the Pistons or Bobcats, then we can see Wafer go to work.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 10:55:51 PM »

Offline raynman

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I just hate it because he eats up Bradley's playing time... even the garbagr minutes..

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 11:11:15 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Bradleys played in like 3 full practices... I dont understand why people think he would help the team right now. Let him get some practices under his belt and see what happens after he gets some conditioning on his ankle... Doc wouldnt be playing Wafer over Bradley if Wafer wasnt playing hard than him in practice.

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 12:46:19 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Does anyone know what the stipulations are on Wafer's contract?  Can we cut him at any time without risk or does it become guaranteed after a certain criteria is met (ie certain date or games played)?

In fairness to Wafer he hasn't gotten a chance to prove himself one way or another.  But for whatever reason he does not look comfortable on the floor at all so I'm not terribly optimistic.  Bradley is not ready to play.  If not for injuries to West and JON he would be at the D-League by now.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 12:57:42 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

TP I totally agree. He hasn't cracked an active rotation yet, but the few spurts I have seen his shot seemed fluid and his handle was pretty well. He made a jumper one on play. Next play he drove in and made a nice pass to an open Celtic. I would like to see more play from him, but so far this team has struggled to hold leads even against the sorriest of teams. Maybe we can get a blowout against a team like the Pistons or Bobcats, then we can see Wafer go to work.

I'm not sure I'm as "on board" as you guys, but Wafer has averaged around 5 minutes in the games he's actually been in. It would be one thing if he was an every night player that was getting 10 per (as opposed to PER, which is stupid), but he's so far back on the depth chart, that I don't see any judgment as valid yet.

For right now I'll sit firmly in Danny and Doc's camp..the second he no longer deserves a rooster spot, I have faith they'll cut him.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 08:31:43 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I'm not sure I'm as "on board" as you guys, but Wafer has averaged around 5 minutes in the games he's actually been in. It would be one thing if he was an every night player that was getting 10 per (as opposed to PER, which is stupid), but he's so far back on the depth chart, that I don't see any judgment as valid yet.

For right now I'll sit firmly in Danny and Doc's camp..the second he no longer deserves a rooster spot, I have faith they'll cut him.
Agreed -- not enough playing time to judge Von Wafer.

He has only played three games in which he got more than five minutes and only two games in which he got 10+ minutes. That isn't enough court time for Von Wafer to get comfortable out there + give a good account of himself.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 08:59:57 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
A 12th man with an attitude problem is not worth having on the team.

Unlike Scalabrine who is a multiple time 12th Man of The Year winner. :)

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 10:39:33 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It's not a mistake.  He hasn't gotten enough time to get in a rhythm, and yet every time he shoots a three I think it's going in.  He looks far more comfortable than Bradley at this point.

I love some of the things about Bradley, but I'm guessing he will never be a point guard.  It's early, but guys like Gabe Pruitt and Orien Greene looked far more comfortable dribbling the ball.

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 10:55:04 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Does anyone know what the stipulations are on Wafer's contract?  Can we cut him at any time without risk or does it become guaranteed after a certain criteria is met (ie certain date or games played)?

In fairness to Wafer he hasn't gotten a chance to prove himself one way or another.  But for whatever reason he does not look comfortable on the floor at all so I'm not terribly optimistic.  Bradley is not ready to play.  If not for injuries to West and JON he would be at the D-League by now.

Wafer's still under a non-guaranteed contract for now...I don't know the exact date, but I believe all contracts become guaranteed for the season sometime in January.  Wafer may have some built in clauses for partial guarantees, but those are usually related to his pay, rather than his spot on the roster.  The C's would have to decide by January whether to keep him for the season (his salary for the year becomes guaranteed too) or cut him loose.