Author Topic: When Delonte comes back this team is going to be alot better  (Read 6046 times)

Re: When Delonte comes back this team is going to be alot better
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 04:04:16 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Is Delonte really healthy though? Every time he's done extensive stuff on the court, scrimmages, extra practice etc he has had back spasms. Let's see 5 games after his return if he is really good to go.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 04:06:06 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
A lot better? In case you think so, then I'd say you don't give the team a lot of credit. He will be a help, yes. He will contribute with much more than Von Wafer does so far, clearly. However, to expect a lot from West is in my opinion rather delusional.

Don't get me wrong, I love Delonte. The first jersey I ever bought was with Delonte, and I still sport it as often as I can. He's easily in my top 5 favourite players in the league. So it's not because I have a bias against him, quite the contrary!

However, think of what was thought with the Marquis Daniels, Jermaine O'Neal and Nate Robinson additions. I at least had higher expectations that what they have shown in their Celtic careers right now (looking at an 'average' basis - I am quite aware that espec. Nate has been very big for us in the playoffs). I would be pleasantly surprised if Delonte did not in some way emulate what they have done. Some good, some bad - but not a revelation, nothing significant - and nothing that is going to make us a lot better.

But it isn't so much West himself, but the fact that we'll now have a reliable option at the 2 spot.  Too often over the past 10 games Ray or Paul has been overplayed with the starters, which has at times limited each player's effectiveness in the 4th quarter.  

With West back, the second unit should function better, keep leads, and ultimately lead to more effective play by the starters.  

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 05:21:22 PM »

Offline Shots

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
A lot better? In case you think so, then I'd say you don't give the team a lot of credit. He will be a help, yes. He will contribute with much more than Von Wafer does so far, clearly. However, to expect a lot from West is in my opinion rather delusional.

Don't get me wrong, I love Delonte. The first jersey I ever bought was with Delonte, and I still sport it as often as I can. He's easily in my top 5 favourite players in the league. So it's not because I have a bias against him, quite the contrary!

However, think of what was thought with the Marquis Daniels, Jermaine O'Neal and Nate Robinson additions. I at least had higher expectations that what they have shown in their Celtic careers right now (looking at an 'average' basis - I am quite aware that espec. Nate has been very big for us in the playoffs). I would be pleasantly surprised if Delonte did not in some way emulate what they have done. Some good, some bad - but not a revelation, nothing significant - and nothing that is going to make us a lot better.

But it isn't so much West himself, but the fact that we'll now have a reliable option at the 2 spot.  Too often over the past 10 games Ray or Paul has been overplayed with the starters, which has at times limited each player's effectiveness in the 4th quarter.  

With West back, the second unit should function better, keep leads, and ultimately lead to more effective play by the starters.  

I really hope you're right, however I think I've heard that story before (Marquis Daniels)!

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 07:24:28 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Nate has been great the last two games. Marquis has been pretty steady in the first 10 games and really has not done as lot to screw things up. This team will be stronger when Delonte comes back. Can't wait til Wednesday, but especially Friday against Durant and company.

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 03:37:53 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
We are going to start trouncing bad teams reqularly.  No more OTs.  The bench is going to run away from other teams benches,
Yup

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 03:49:59 PM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
I actualy think our bench is going to be a mess today, delonte has been out of it for quite awhile now and you dont build rythem or chemestry over night.
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 04:41:39 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
He'll be great to have back.  We don't win without Rondo healthy & rested period!
Delonte will be solid for us at 2 guard spots, he can hit the jumper and fill a stat sheet.  I don't feel he is a starting pg in the nba but as a sub he would have to be considered one of the better ones.  We don't need delonte to take minutes away from nate, we need a few more minutes rest for ray, paul and rondo.  End of season is what matters!
When this team is healthy:
pg rondo, west, robinson, bradley
sg allen, west, robinson, daniels, bradley
sf pierce, daniels
pf garnett, davis
c shaq, oneil, perk, erden - if all are healthy at the end of season what a team of centers!

Other guys luke and wafer.  this is one strong, STRONG team danny has built
add in wallace, lasme or teyshaun prince or battier for sf help

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 05:03:46 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
He'll be great to have back.  We don't win without Rondo healthy & rested period!
Delonte will be solid for us at 2 guard spots, he can hit the jumper and fill a stat sheet.  I don't feel he is a starting pg in the nba but as a sub he would have to be considered one of the better ones.  We don't need delonte to take minutes away from nate, we need a few more minutes rest for ray, paul and rondo.  End of season is what matters!
When this team is healthy:
pg rondo, west, robinson, bradley
sg allen, west, robinson, daniels, bradley
sf pierce, daniels
pf garnett, davis
c shaq, oneil, perk, erden - if all are healthy at the end of season what a team of centers!

Other guys luke and wafer.  this is one strong, STRONG team danny has built
add in wallace, lasme or teyshaun prince or battier for sf help

make that if this team is healthy - which of course is the key and what danny and doc always have in the back of their minds as the objective come playoff time.

having said that, YES, this is one very good team that at full strength should be able to bludgeon the Lakers into a bloody pulp next june, which is what i want and i want nothing less. game 7 remains, for me, the most painful loss in our history (for many reasons) and i go back to the 60's with the Celts.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 05:08:12 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
I'm old as well, 70's though so I'll think of myself as young compared to you.
The IF its big but that is the roll of dice the celtics chose.  If KG wasn't injured we could very well have 3 in a row already

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 12:23:17 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
He certainly made the bench a heckuvva lot better against the Wizards. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 05:57:14 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
I think Delonte sealed the ECF's for us. At least as things stand now. Injuries aside, the Celts are unstoppable with Delonte. He has kept in shape and showed how he can shore up our bench. Now we definitely can cut starters minutes, especially Shaq's.

Hail Danny again, and again and .........

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 06:53:40 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
Delonte looked great, glad we have him and Miami doesn't.  Now let the nate trade talks start.  ;D

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 09:40:09 AM »

Offline jimmywolfrey

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
I think with Delonte back, we now can rest our WHOLE starting 5 when needed.  That is almost unheard of.  Delonte will be asked to run the show even if Nate is considered the PG.  Delonte will be happy to oblige.  We really could sit Rondo, Ray, Pierce and Garnett for longer stretches with adding Delonte to the 2nd unit. It is like having a middling starting 2guard with the subs, its wonderful if he can stay together.

Also, if we ever get down in the game and need to go small... Rondo, West, Allen, pierce and garnett will be lethal against small ball lineups.

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2010, 11:36:09 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Delonte West makes ANY team in the league a LOT better.

u know why

hes a playaaaa
he can play with socks if they give him socks.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2010, 11:43:23 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Delonte looked great, glad we have him and Miami doesn't.  Now let the nate trade talks start.  ;D

Only when Avery show he is healthy and capable of being an NBA PG on a title level team. 

The strength of the Celtics bench when every one is healthy is a strong backup for every position.  How many teams can really say that?