Author Topic: When did Delonte become so popular??  (Read 19892 times)

Re: When did Delonte become so popular??
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2010, 11:58:35 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i have always been a fan of delonte.  i really like his game and i enjoy his personality. 

i think he became popular bc of his work ethic and hustle.  boston fans, in all sports, appreciate guys that work their tails off.  i think he brings us versatility and consistency off the bench.

i know i am in the minority, but i really dont have a concern with his off the court issues.  when he was here, he was quirky, but never had any instances of serious concern around his mental health. 

i think he enjoys the city and organization, will be appreciative of the opportunity that has been given to him, and being on such a veteran filled team, i think the other guys will be supportive, while also laying down the law on him as to make better decisions off the court.

im really looking forward to seeing how he does and supporting him.

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2010, 12:43:07 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'll be an odd guy that I'm more of a fan of DWest since he was in Lebronland.  When we traded him for Ray I was honestly in shock.  great trade  ;D
On cleveland I think we was one of their better players.  I didn't notice the to's as much as really a lot had to do with the starting pg posistion and Delonte having it (or telfair  :-\ ) when Rondo came up.   I'm old but this is the best pg we've had since jojo.
So since he became a cavalier I think he improved his all around game.  The guy could never be faulted for lack of effort or getting the most from his talents.  I'm not sure where he fits into the sub grouping/minutes of nate, wafer and  dwest but for the $ a good signing

« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2010, 02:22:08 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
I root for laundry so regardless of what I think of his game I hope if he does make this team he gets his head screwed on and can help us win games. I look forward to seeing what he and Nate can do together as a backcourt if he does. As both players are combo guards deluxe I hope they can complement each others game pretty well. West may be a better passer but Nate has more overall talent and is a more explosive scorer.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2010, 03:05:55 AM »

Offline KevinConnor

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
What's not to like about a not so good, crazy lunatic of a combo guard racing around with a shotgun in a guitarcase? Can somebody please explain this to me?

« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2010, 09:33:21 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I was only so-so on him when he was hear. Used more of as a PG, it was obvious he was out of place. He had his moments on the face break, but he was always getting banged up from his style of play - others saw hustle, I saw reckless. He was freaking hilarious though. When it came out that they managed to move him and keep Rondo, I was psyched - and that's something we can all agree on.

But - a funny thing happened on his way through CLE - his three point shooting, ability to handle both guard spots, and D won me over. In retrospect, he would have been an excellent part of the team the last three years.

Here's an ALT history - let's say Tony Allen doesn't blow out his knee and looks great all year in 06-07 season. Throws up a 17 or 18 PER and plays good D. So Danny is able to trade Tony Allen to SEA and keep Delonte. Now in 08 the role of Eddie House is played by Delonte West. He'd be Ray's and Rondo's backup a tough D, good shooter, hustler, that unlike house can advance the ball against Lindsey Hunter. He wins a few games off the bench. I could see him morphing into a top 6th man on the 09 and 10 squads.

« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2010, 09:52:22 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Delonte West is a better point guard than Nate Robinson and a better shooting guard than Von Wafer. He deserves to play ahead of either player at either position. I like him in that combo guard reserve role. Main guard off the bench.

I agree.

But I also see the combination of Nate and West on the floor together will help both with getting into the offense. 

« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2010, 09:59:23 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Here's an ALT history - let's say Tony Allen doesn't blow out his knee and looks great all year in 06-07 season. Throws up a 17 or 18 PER and plays good D. So Danny is able to trade Tony Allen to SEA and keep Delonte. Now in 08 the role of Eddie House is played by Delonte West. He'd be Ray's and Rondo's backup a tough D, good shooter, hustler, that unlike house can advance the ball against Lindsey Hunter. He wins a few games off the bench. I could see him morphing into a top 6th man on the 09 and 10 squads.

Here's the question:  does Tony Allen then go to Cleveland?  And, would the presence of a healthy Tony Allen playing defense on Pierce or Allen have made the difference in our 2008 or 2010 playoff series?

I would have loved to have Delonte on this team, and I really don't like Tony much at all, but the prospect of Tony using his defense against us is a scary thought.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2010, 11:14:18 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Ehhh... I feel like Pierce would destroy Tony Allen - Tony is better against athleticism and not craft. But TA's lack of a shot makes life harder for Lebron anyways.

« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2010, 12:48:38 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
I was only so-so on him when he was hear. Used more of as a PG, it was obvious he was out of place. He had his moments on the face break, but he was always getting banged up from his style of play - others saw hustle, I saw reckless. He was freaking hilarious though. When it came out that they managed to move him and keep Rondo, I was psyched - and that's something we can all agree on.

But - a funny thing happened on his way through CLE - his three point shooting, ability to handle both guard spots, and D won me over. In retrospect, he would have been an excellent part of the team the last three years.

I don't see how this is true. Delonte was embarrassingly bad when it came to bringing the ball up against pressure. More often than not Doc had to employ Ricky Davis during those years to handle the ball anytime we went up against pressure because Delonte got ripped so often. Then we'd see those "hustle" plays Delonte made famous to get back into the play and end up crashing into the front row trying to prevent a breakaway layup. And his handle is not much better now. I'm actually glad we have Nate for that as he is a superior ballhandler to Delonte.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2010, 12:55:56 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I don't see how this is true. Delonte was embarrassingly bad when it came to bringing the ball up against pressure. More often than not Doc had to employ Ricky Davis during those years to handle the ball anytime we went up against pressure because Delonte got ripped so often. Then we'd see those "hustle" plays Delonte made famous to get back into the play and end up crashing into the front row trying to prevent a breakaway layup. And his handle is not much better now. I'm actually glad we have Nate for that as he is a superior ballhandler to Delonte.
I also think Nate is a far superior ball handler.

Nevertheless, Delonte has been productive throughout his career. He reminds me of Matt Barnes -- a mediocre player who does enough that contenders like him as a role player, but not good enough to get a big contract.

« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2010, 02:33:10 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I also think Nate is a far superior ball handler.

Nevertheless, Delonte has been productive throughout his career. He reminds me of Matt Barnes -- a mediocre player who does enough that contenders like him as a role player, but not good enough to get a big contract.
Delonte is much better than Matt Barnes. Matt Barnes has one elite skill (rebounding) and is below average at everything else.

Delonte is pretty average in all the areas of the game that you'd want out player. He's below average for a starter I suppose, but he's a lot more plug and play than Barnes or Tony Allen.

« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2010, 02:39:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Here's the question:  does Tony Allen then go to Cleveland?  And, would the presence of a healthy Tony Allen playing defense on Pierce or Allen have made the difference in our 2008 or 2010 playoff series?

I would have loved to have Delonte on this team, and I really don't like Tony much at all, but the prospect of Tony using his defense against us is a scary thought.
Does Tony get time at the SG? We wouldn't even have Ray Allen stand near him on D, instead he'd spy LeBron.

« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2010, 02:39:48 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
He became popular in my book after sleeping with Lebron's mom. That was the best story of last season. Can't wait till our meeting with the Heat  :)
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2010, 02:51:31 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Since Delonte is ours now, and since he is working with a depression problem, I think the less said about that rumor, the better. It can't possibly help his state of mind to be the butt of the joke.  And we want to keep his state of mind as stable as possible... In other words, if you make him sad :( , you will make me cry  :'( and I will make you miserable!  >:(

Got it?   ;D
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2010, 03:25:12 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Got it. The last thing I want is to make a classy lady like you cry  :)
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels