Author Topic: When did Delonte become so popular??  (Read 19856 times)

Re: When did Delonte become so popular??
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2010, 10:33:47 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Delonte has always been one of my favorite Celtics. Back in the Lean Years, he seemed to be finding his groove, and then he was trade for Ray.

He wasn't quite as good back then, but he was getting there. And during his years in CLE, I think he got even better defensively.

Count me onboard as one who loved his hustle and wit back in the Lean Years, even though Boston was struggling.

I'm glad he's back. He's only 27, and will be yet another young, speedy piece to run with Rondo and on that second unit.

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2010, 10:34:20 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
wdleehi ...surely you gest? I was there at his birth... ;)

I was there rooting on his conception.

Too far?

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2010, 10:44:03 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Wafter was as good as you say why was he forced to go overseas?

....  and why did he flame out when he went overseas, and when he came back to the NBA on a 10-day contract never see the court?

Attitude problems, rather than lack of ability. 

Even though Wafer has talent, I think he should start out behind Nate Robinson on the SG depth chart and be forced to work his way into the rotation in practice.  If he's on the opening day roster, I would want to test him early by seeing how he reacts to a "Coach's decision - DNP" stat line.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2010, 11:55:56 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
He is cheap abd a known commodity,  I 'd rather have him that Jerry Pukehouse or Larry Hughes.  I don't think he will be as good as a defender as Bradley though.

OK, Bradley has played ZERO NBA minutes. I'm pretty sure Delonte's D is better.

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2010, 12:03:38 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
He is cheap abd a known commodity,  I 'd rather have him that Jerry Pukehouse or Larry Hughes.  I don't think he will be as good as a defender as Bradley though.

OK, Bradley has played ZERO NBA minutes. I'm pretty sure Delonte's D is better.

Since when is experience the only measure of a defender's ability. West's defense has never been anything other than average at best because he lacks the footspeed that Bradley actually has.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2010, 12:22:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Really?  I thought you were going to say you were there for his grandfather's birth.

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2010, 12:53:06 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
 I never looked at it like a popularity thing when it comes to pro-athletes,but more like stock.It can rise and fall in a matter of minutes.Today Delonte's stock is rising with me.Its up to him where it stands down the road.

I don't get personally attached to any pro-athlete...so i guess ive never saw him being popular...i admired his game a lot for what he has to work with.If i feel his off the court life causes his on the court and locker room presence to suffer,his popularity(stock)will dimenish real quick with me.

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2010, 12:53:38 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
For me, I always loved Delonte. He just seemed like a Celtic.
Tough, gritty, to the floor player with alot of heart and passion.

My favorite Delonte play while he was a Celtic? When he took Amare Stoudemire down by the head during a game in Phoenix. Amare had given him a shot and Delonte got tangles with him in mid air and they both went crashing to the floor. As Delonte got up he pushed Amare's head into the floor.

I loved that play because Amare had given Delonte a cheap shot first and Delonte sent him a message, didnt' matter how much bigger Amare was. A fair play and a great play by Delonte.

Love the guy. Love his tenacity. I'll take the warts in his game any day and just hope he keeps it together.

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2010, 01:22:58 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I think his popularity began with his description of his dream date with Beyonce where he would take her out for Popeye's Cajun Fried Chicken and some skinny dipping.  Wow.

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2010, 01:50:18 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I really don't get why he is so popular or considered so good either.  When he came out of College I was real happy they got him, but as time has gone on I've been less enamored with him.

His defense is overrated, he's not a "great shooter", and he's terrible at creating offense off the dribble. 

While the money and the fact that it's non-guaranteed are good, if I were Wyc I wouldn't want his unpredictable behavior associated with my Business.  Delonte is a backup player, yet has the personality/behavior that can sink a team. 

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2010, 01:56:05 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I dunno, I kind of miss those times he'd be on a 1v2 fast break and he'd go in and get blocked almost every time. Kind of like I'll miss the amusement of Baby getting stuffed every time he goes straight up when he's under the basket and standing right next to a 7-footer. Not that I want to see them again, mind you...

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2010, 02:33:29 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Being real, with all 2-guards we have signed on this team, Delonte will have to play like MJ to make this team, or somebody has to get injured badly.
I don't like Delonte, and I don't understand that people say he has a high IQ and talent, if he had both of those things he would be a all-star like Rondo, instead he changed 4 teams in 4 years.

Are you kidding with that first bit? Delonte's making the team. Doc and Danny both love him, plus he's a legit talent. He'll be your first two guard off the bench behind Ray, I'm betting on that. Wafer's the third stringer.

The only reason he doesn't have a guaranteed contract is because of his mental problems. If he loses it again THEN he'll be waived. But barring that, he's in for the long haul.
Look, I'm just SICK SICK SICK of "shooters" after Ray's performance in the finals, I want guys that get to the line and have a mid range game, like Daniels and I believe Marquise will be a key 2-guard of the bench if healthy. Plus rating defense 1-5 I would give Daniels 4 and Delonte 2.5
I don't think your trust in Daniels is justified. He showed no game in the second half of the season and playoffs.

I hope he will perform better, but at least Ray can spread a defense. Daniels gets left alone behind the 3 pt line and his man clogs the lane, knowing Daniels can shoot.

Is Daniels just a bad match for a team with Rondo? Does he need more opportunities to dribble?

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2010, 02:39:30 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

I was there nine months prior.

Yes.  I hooked up with Delonte's mom.

Man, I really thought I'd get a Tommy Point for this.  Made myself LOL....  ;)

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2010, 04:05:43 PM »

Offline KeepDWest

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 24
never wanted to see him go obviously

so excited to see him back

people seem to forget that 2 years ago he was clevelands second best player in the playoffs

perfect backup for ray

"im just a playa" -dwest
"and when I let them carry me to the cemetary i wanna be buried with a pocketful of clarity" - slug

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2010, 04:31:59 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Being real, with all 2-guards we have signed on this team, Delonte will have to play like MJ to make this team, or somebody has to get injured badly.
I don't like Delonte, and I don't understand that people say he has a high IQ and talent, if he had both of those things he would be a all-star like Rondo, instead he changed 4 teams in 4 years.

Are you kidding with that first bit? Delonte's making the team. Doc and Danny both love him, plus he's a legit talent. He'll be your first two guard off the bench behind Ray, I'm betting on that. Wafer's the third stringer.

The only reason he doesn't have a guaranteed contract is because of his mental problems. If he loses it again THEN he'll be waived. But barring that, he's in for the long haul.

I agree with the first post here... 4 teams, 4 years... Thats not a good stat for a player and that has to be looked at. There is a reason that teams keep trading him... I expect Von Wafer to be in front of West big time. West will be lucky to make the team.

Also agree with the point that it was a bad move because it doesnt fill a need. We need a long athletic defensive type player to back up Pierce and other than Daniels...( Who has always been more of a two guard, I dont understand the post that said otherwise) we dont have that.