Author Topic: When did Delonte become so popular??  (Read 19849 times)

Re: When did Delonte become so popular??
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 09:04:05 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
Wafer has the ability to take over games?

I'm skeptical...

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2010, 09:08:42 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Wafer has the ability to take over games?

I'm skeptical...

Well...  Eddie House could take over games.  Streaky shooters can do that. 

Should be remembered that while Wafer hit 39% of his threes in Houston, for his career he's a 33% - 34% shooter.  For comparison, Delonte's a career 37% shooter.  Hopefully, Von's numbers will be more like his year in Houston, but I'm more and more glad that we've got a really established backup SG now.  Anything Wafer gives us is bonus.

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 09:27:19 AM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
So, I'll just go right ahead and address the elephant in the room...

...whose mom is he gonna sleep with?

bahahahaha

My guess is that Delonte West was not invited to the NBA mom's charity basketball game  ::)
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 09:41:54 AM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
I'm really excited we got Delonte back.  He may be just a little crazy (OK, a lot) but if he can stray from breaking the law - he could be a nice piece to our puzzle.  He fills many needs on this team.  He is a good defender, shooter and slasher AND he plays hard as hell.  Imagine Delonte, KG, Rondo, Baby, Nate - all these guys play with reckless abandon.  Its going to be a fun year.  :)
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 09:50:46 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
It's a low risk signing, to be sure. Nothing preventing us from dumping him if some of that "whacky behavior" runs afoul of the law.

It's just another chapter in the irrational love some on this board have for the members of the franchise's worst team. It's funny to watch.

Excuse us fans for actually loving to watch players on a team even when they are terrible. So you are saying when we won 24 games, that whole season you just ragged on every young guy we had the whole season? You dismissed them all as NBA players. While the situation seemed hopeless most of us remained hopeful. It seems you were not in that camp. You were the curmudgeon saying they would suck forever. That is why you dont like to look back on those years. I actually had a LOT of fun watching basketball back then even though the results were not there. We became attached to the players because we had to. The TEAM sucked. The players were the answer because there was no other option.

Now that we are good, the mentality is, well dump that guy and insert another player in that position (see Eddie House). We gotta win now baby!

Back then it was different. The most joy we experienced from being fans was watching young players develop and predicting their futures in the league. Some were way off with the judgement of actual talent levels of these players and most fans realized once they left the team that they were not as good as once believed.

I for one really liked Delonte's personality and his effect of  loosening players up in a locker room. He could also knock down the three and defend most 1's and small 2's. He is a good role player and has contributed significantly to some winning teams.

I understand why we make fun of people clamoring for Gerald Green. Just give it a rest getting on everyone for wanting this guy back. He can actually play. You have posted it in every thread about Delonte and it is wearing thin. I am sorry you hated every player from that team. It doesnt mean we all have to.

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2010, 09:51:14 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I liked Delonte during his first stint here, but recognized his flaws: over-rated defender; weak right hand; below average handle  for PG.  His role with this team will be to come off the bench, which matches his skill set.  He has great toughness and energy, and also was a good shot blocker for a guy his size (good timing).  Can see him being a good match with Nate and with Rondo.  I was disappointed to see him go in the Ray Allen trade; preferred him overall to Tony Allen at the time.

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2010, 09:57:38 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I think people started to fall in love with Delonte right around the 30 second mark in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6nmHflqcAo

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2010, 10:00:15 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
It's a low risk signing, to be sure. Nothing preventing us from dumping him if some of that "whacky behavior" runs afoul of the law.

It's just another chapter in the irrational love some on this board have for the members of the franchise's worst team. It's funny to watch.

Excuse us fans for actually loving to watch players on a team even when they are terrible. So you are saying when we won 24 games, that whole season you just ragged on every young guy we had the whole season? You dismissed them all as NBA players. While the situation seemed hopeless most of us remained hopeful. It seems you were not in that camp. You were the curmudgeon saying they would suck forever. That is why you dont like to look back on those years. I actually had a LOT of fun watching basketball back then even though the results were not there. We became attached to the players because we had to. The TEAM sucked. The players were the answer because there was no other option.

Now that we are good, the mentality is, well dump that guy and insert another player in that position (see Eddie House). We gotta win now baby!

Back then it was different. The most joy we experienced from being fans was watching young players develop and predicting their futures in the league. Some were way off with the judgement of actual talent levels of these players and most fans realized once they left the team that they were not as good as once believed.

I for one really liked Delonte's personality and his effect of  loosening players up in a locker room. He could also knock down the three and defend most 1's and small 2's. He is a good role player and has contributed significantly to some winning teams.

I understand why we make fun of people clamoring for Gerald Green. Just give it a rest getting on everyone for wanting this guy back. He can actually play. You have posted it in every thread about Delonte and it is wearing thin. I am sorry you hated every player from that team. It doesnt mean we all have to.
TP.  I agree.  I have been a fan through many championship team, and I was a fan through the bad years too.  And...while the results were disappointing, the players who showed passion and grit and played hard,  even in the hard times, became favorites of mine...forever.  Even when things were hopeless, Delonte never gave up.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2010, 10:04:18 AM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
Hey Edgar ...Delonte is "my boy" and I was the OD (Original Delonte) fan ....you just grabbed my coattails ......

He's back, I love his hustle, style an on court demeanor and maybe I should write another article.....and Edgar you won't be mentioned this time .....

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2010, 10:08:16 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Where do you guys get off, saying you were the originals, Po and Edgar?  I was the original Delonte fan...you two are just the most vocal!  ha ha ha ha  I laugh at you!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2010, 10:24:30 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Hey Edgar ...Delonte is "my boy" and I was the OD (Original Delonte) fan ....you just grabbed my coattails ......

He's back, I love his hustle, style an on court demeanor and maybe I should write another article.....and Edgar you won't be mentioned this time .....

Both of you guys are on my heels since I was rooting for him the three seasons previous to him being drafted to the NBA.

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2010, 10:25:27 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Delonte not only played very well when he was a celtics, he was the second best player on the cavs. When those guys needed someone to step up and Lebron was overplayed and had no testicles, the only guy who would try to do it was Delonte. He is fearless, and he is a basketball player through and through. What's not to like? Bipolar Disorder is very treatable and Boston has some of the best psychiatrists in the world if he wants to try them. Look at how well Artest played in the finals under psychiatric treatment.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:01:40 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2010, 10:27:05 AM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
wdleehi ...surely you gest? I was there at his birth... ;)

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2010, 10:32:35 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My favorite Delonte play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEsCS8Dg0d4

I'm looking forward to seeing some more of that between Pierce and Delonte this season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2010, 10:33:28 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
wdleehi ...surely you gest? I was there at his birth... ;)

I was there nine months prior.

Yes.  I hooked up with Delonte's mom.