Author Topic: When did Delonte become so popular??  (Read 19887 times)

Re: When did Delonte become so popular??
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 12:43:04 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
So, I'll just go right ahead and address the elephant in the room...

...whose mom is he gonna sleep with?

bahahahaha
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 01:44:45 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I remember Delonte being loved due to effort and personality. He was hilarious in interviews. He also played really hard all the time.

I think many of us who loved those qualities also understood his shortcomings. I was happy to get Ray Allen and I had no problem seeing West go because I was more interested in winning than in being entertained by his interviews.

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 03:10:42 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm not exactly sure when Delonte became a SOLID defender when he was pretty mediocre while he was here.
This is, plain and simple, not true. He isn't, and will never be, a go-to defender, but he was dependable, not mediocre. Mediocre is someone like Eddie House. People seem to forget West was second in the league among guards in blocked shots while he was with us, trailing only to Dwyane Wade.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 03:22:53 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
Delonte's always been this popular. A few years ago if you asked people on the street to name a Celtic they'd say Pierce then Delonte then Green. At least that's how it was around here (my area). The only people who were against Delonte were Banks' fans and let me tell you, they were very very vocal.

To tell you the truth your post is very confusing to me. Not a good three pointer shooter? Mediocre defender? Ball dominating at times? Really it seems like you forgot how Delonte played.

Then again I lurked CelticsBlog less back in 06-07 once I found RealGM because really..this place was negative as hell four years ago. The atmosphere around here is almost 100% different then a few years ago. so for all I know this place could have been filled with anti-West people.

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 03:40:29 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Being real, with all 2-guards we have signed on this team, Delonte will have to play like MJ to make this team, or somebody has to get injured badly.
I don't like Delonte, and I don't understand that people say he has a high IQ and talent, if he had both of those things he would be a all-star like Rondo, instead he changed 4 teams in 4 years.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 06:03:20 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Being real, with all 2-guards we have signed on this team, Delonte will have to play like MJ to make this team, or somebody has to get injured badly.
I don't like Delonte, and I don't understand that people say he has a high IQ and talent, if he had both of those things he would be a all-star like Rondo, instead he changed 4 teams in 4 years.

Are you kidding with that first bit? Delonte's making the team. Doc and Danny both love him, plus he's a legit talent. He'll be your first two guard off the bench behind Ray, I'm betting on that. Wafer's the third stringer.

The only reason he doesn't have a guaranteed contract is because of his mental problems. If he loses it again THEN he'll be waived. But barring that, he's in for the long haul.

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 06:25:05 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am very happy he is back.  I have been a fan since he was playing at my alma mater St. Joe's. 

I have little doubt he will be beat out Wafer.  Just look at what their careers have been the last couple year:

: Wafer has bounced around and has missed seasons by not being signed.

: West was a big contributer to the team with the best regular season record the past two years.

He will be a positive impact off the bench. 

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 06:47:22 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth

Are you kidding with that first bit? Delonte's making the team. Doc and Danny both love him, plus he's a legit talent. He'll be your first two guard off the bench behind Ray, I'm betting on that. Wafer's the third stringer.

The only reason he doesn't have a guaranteed contract is because of his mental problems. If he loses it again THEN he'll be waived. But barring that, he's in for the long haul.
Look, I'm just SICK SICK SICK of "shooters" after Ray's performance in the finals, I want guys that get to the line and have a mid range game, like Daniels and I believe Marquise will be a key 2-guard of the bench if healthy. Plus rating defense 1-5 I would give Daniels 4 and Delonte 2.5
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 07:20:33 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Don't like Delonte and don't like the signing, mainly because it didn't address a need .... a backup 2/3 or 3/4.  We still don't have a backup for Pierce for when Daniels is injured... and he will get injured.  I don't want Delonte taking a single minute from Nate, as I think Nate is a better player.

BUT, even though I don't like him, I will embrace him because he's a Celtic now. :(
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 08:08:01 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Always liked Delonte for leaving it all on the floor.  When did we all lose our youthful love for anyone who puts on the green?  Time to get out of the personal lives of players and go back to a simpler time.

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 08:13:21 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75

Look, I'm just SICK SICK SICK of "shooters" after Ray's performance in the finals, I want guys that get to the line and have a mid range game, like Daniels and I believe Marquise will be a key 2-guard of the bench if healthy. Plus rating defense 1-5 I would give Daniels 4 and Delonte 2.5
One thing Daniels isn't is a 2-guard.

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2010, 08:19:49 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
I am very happy he is back.  I have been a fan since he was playing at my alma mater St. Joe's. 

I have little doubt he will be beat out Wafer.  Just look at what their careers have been the last couple year:

: Wafer has bounced around and has missed seasons by not being signed.

: West was a big contributer to the team with the best regular season record the past two years.

He will be a positive impact off the bench. 

You will be surprised by how good Von Wafer is.  There are alot of athletes who struggle oversees once they are injured or have problems.  Different system, different language.
Von Wafer has the ability to take over games.  Delonte does not.  Von Wafer will also play some Small Forward which you will see.

However, Delonte will provide added depth.  Both will fill different roles.
If Delonte makes the team, he will add depth to the backcourt.   Imagine Delonte subbing for a struggling Rondo.  Similar to when Nate is playing well, no one will be able to double team
our rotation.  Danny is just adding pieces.  Don't be surprised with another move later on this season.  Non-guaranteed contract is also a message.

Delonte has always been popular.  He's tough and he hustles.  That makes him a popular Celtic.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 08:25:02 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If Wafter was as good as you say why was he forced to go overseas?

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 08:49:45 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Like Delonte, Wafer is a headcase too.  A different type of headcase, but a headcase nontheless.  I prefer the Delonte type of headcase- a headcase who competes hard, plays defense, and is unselfish on the court.

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 08:58:08 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
If Wafter was as good as you say why was he forced to go overseas?

....  and why did he flame out when he went overseas, and when he came back to the NBA on a 10-day contract never see the court?

My expectations for Wafer are...  well, let's just say "Wafer-Thin."