Author Topic: When can we offer Perk an extension?  (Read 1484 times)

When can we offer Perk an extension?
« on: July 01, 2010, 07:57:41 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I know Perk is in the last year of his current deal with the Cs. When can we negotiate an extension with him? The reason I'm asking is because I've seen Perk's name involved in various trade scenarios, and a lot have said (including me) that teams wouldn't be interested to trade for the big guy until he recovers from surgery. With that premise, would it be in our best interest to lock him up to another reasonable contract (while no one else likes him) since we would have first hand info on his rehab progress?

Re: When can we offer Perk an extension?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 07:59:47 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
it might be a better idea to see how he recovers from this. This is major knee surgery, it would be wise to make sure he can come back near full strength. Don't forget his past shoulder issues either.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 08:06:51 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I know Perk is in the last year of his current deal with the Cs. When can we negotiate an extension with him? The reason I'm asking is because I've seen Perk's name involved in various trade scenarios, and a lot have said (including me) that teams wouldn't be interested to trade for the big guy until he recovers from surgery. With that premise, would it be in our best interest to lock him up to another reasonable contract (while no one else likes him) since we would have first hand info on his rehab progress?

the celtics can talk to him about a new contract anytime they want. it is not illegal to discuss contracts with a player who is under contract for you.

now, when SHOULD the team discuss an extension with perks? AFTER they find out the results of the operation on perk's playing.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 08:46:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
it might be a better idea to see how he recovers from this. This is major knee surgery, it would be wise to make sure he can come back near full strength. Don't forget his past shoulder issues either.
Agreed - I don't want to sign Perk until next offseason after he has proved his fitness.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 09:23:39 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I'm not to worried about the injury although I do agree that we should wait until he recovers. But with all of these ridiculous signings(Gooden and Amir) he's gunna be a lot more expensive than we thought.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 09:36:05 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Yea, this is a situation where you just wait until the next Collective Bargaining Agreement. Or we should at least wait until midseason to do this.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 10:15:30 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If they can get a discount extension, do it. 

Take advantage of the situation.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 10:19:40 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
If they can get a discount extension, do it. 

Take advantage of the situation.

That's my thinking.  We might be able to buy low right now. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team