Author Topic: When did we become a 3pt shooting team?  (Read 2190 times)

When did we become a 3pt shooting team?
« on: November 16, 2009, 04:45:12 PM »

Offline threats13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
Our championship season we were never known for tossin up 3s now its like its all we do.  We have all these great players that know how to get to the rim and finish there.  When did we base our team on 3pt shooting instead of easy buckets?  I remember in 2008 watching games where we took smart 3 pointers and otherwise found our way to the rim or a mid-range jumper from a guy with a high percentage shot.  Now I watch the game and its like we dont even want to get to the basket.  We settle for a three (given that sometimes it is an open look its not necessarily the smartest look).  I say we go back to the way we played the championship season where we got to the rim finished easy buckets and hit the 3 ball when the time was right.  None of this 18 a game nonsense.  Limiting our 3 pt attempts and limiting the opponents 3 pt attempts (lets face it teams are shooting OUT OF THEIR SKULL from outside the arc against us aka J-Rich and Danny Granger) is the recipe for success IMO.
The NBA..where "this whole sport is a business and the referees decide games and David Stern is a snake and is only in this for the money" happens.

Re: When did we become a 3pt shooting team?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 04:53:22 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
i feel ya thread...really

but i never see this talk when we are hittin em...this team is stacked with 3pt ballers..ray paul eddie sheed rondo and of course scalabrine and i expect atleast one of them find that roll and put butta on it..i think 3pt ball is a big part of our offense..it's gonna have to be if we wanna see whats at the end of the rainbow...

*way up high and sippin*

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 05:13:25 PM »

Kiorrik

this team is stacked with 3pt ballers..ray paul eddie sheed rondo and of course scalabrine
¿ ... ?

U kiddin'?

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 05:22:06 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I think we were shooting more 3s in the championship season than on this one.

This is a myth. No reality here.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 05:25:30 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
this team is stacked with 3pt ballers..ray paul eddie sheed rondo and of course scalabrine
¿ ... ?

U kiddin'?

funny u blew up rondo and not scalabrine...

yeah..rondo hs gotten us out of tight spots hittin a 3pt...

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 05:35:30 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
Boston Celtics 2007/2008:
3PTA per game - 19
3PTA/FGA ratio - 24.9%
3PTA per 100 possessions - 21.2

Boston Celtics 2009/2010:
3PTA per game - 18.2
3PTA/FGA ratio - 23.8%
3PTA per 100 poss. - 20

Just a myth. The team is shooting less per game, per possessions (factoring pace) and relatively to the total of FGA.

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 05:47:10 PM »

Kiorrik

¿ ... ?

U kiddin'?

funny u blew up rondo and not scalabrine...

yeah..rondo hs gotten us out of tight spots hittin a 3pt...
:') hahaha

Can I has ur babies?

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 05:31:27 PM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
I think it's a natural progression when you pick up players capable of hitting 3's. just that simple. When we signed Sheed one of the Benefits to having sheed on your roster (this also applies to KG) is that he's capable of hitting the 3 or long range shot which spreads the floor. I don't think there's a reason to panic. we've lost 2 in a row, i'm sure if that's found to be the source of why we're suddenly losing then they'll make adjustments.
 An illustration would be lets go back to 98 and you coached the Raptors. You draft Carter , then pick up Reggie Miller and sign Tim hardaway as a free agent as your starting point. How do you think that'll affect 3 point attempts as opposed to the previous year?

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 05:47:35 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
We have some of the most efficient sharp shooters in the league... all on one team.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 05:52:56 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
3PTA per game - 19
3PTA/FGA ratio - 24.9%

3PTA per game - 18.2
3PTA/FGA ratio - 23.8%
3PTA per 100 poss. - 20

Just a myth. The team is shooting less per game, per possessions (factoring pace) and relatively to the total of FGA.

Nice Tp.

I remember we weren't to shy about hoisting up the threes in 08. 3pt shooting was basically all Posey, and House did offensively. The number of threes we take doesn't bother me considering who is taking them, and the type of shots they've been. Sheed could choose his shots a bit better, but when he makes them with the guy right there we don't complain.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 06:33:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
3PTA per game - 19
3PTA/FGA ratio - 24.9%

3PTA per game - 18.2
3PTA/FGA ratio - 23.8%
3PTA per 100 poss. - 20

Funny fact, that 2007-08 team shot more three pointers in the regular season and shot a higher percentage of three pointers than any other champion in NBA history. So I think the OP is incorrect. This team has been a team that was always a three point shooting team.

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 10:56:48 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
Funny fact, that 2007-08 team shot more three pointers in the regular season and shot a higher percentage of three pointers than any other champion in NBA history. So I think the OP is incorrect. This team has been a team that was always a three point shooting team.

That is to be expected, as the 3 point shot is getting progressively more important in the NBA game (full adaptation to the "new" defensive rules, faster and bigger defenders, focus on avoiding dribble penetration -> more congestion on court -> less post isos, less dribble drives -> more ball movement and shooting). SAS in the year before shot three less three point shots (at the exact same percentage, curiously). The Celtics opponents in 07/08 shot 29 less 3 pointers. This season, the Celtics are actually taking less 3 pt shots than their opponents. The difference for last season Lakers was merely 3% on 3pt shots taken (and the Lakers shot at a 0.361%).

I don't think the Celtics are particularly reliant on the outside shooting - and considering the minutes that good shooters play, they probably should be shooting more.

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 12:48:19 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
We've had very high "3-pointer" numbers since KG and Ray came ... most people talk about how defense became the main focus, and that's true, but our reliance on the tres has been pretty heavy during that same period also ... just check the numbers.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *