Author Topic: When did Gary Tanguay become an insider?  (Read 2927 times)

When did Gary Tanguay become an insider?
« on: July 07, 2009, 05:09:45 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
First off, he doesn't seem like a very good insider. The other day Felgie was making fun of his reporting style, and offered suggestions.

A lot of n00bs try too hard to stand out from the pack. I think Tanguay belongs in this discussion. He reported Baby to SA a few days ago. Thinking word is bond I trusted him. But it appears as though SA can be checked off the list (maybe) if McDyess is getting the MLE.

I'd expect Dickerson for instance to do a better job at reporting rumors because he's actually around the team a lot. He flies on the plane with them and is always chatting with the guys. I'm far from a Greg Dickerson homer but let's be real, he's a better rumor reporter than twitter typer tanguay.

Re: When did Gary Tanguay become an insider?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 05:37:13 PM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW
amusing discussion.  Tommy Point. 

When did I get used to Dickerson and stop feeling a little embarrassed for him out there?  Why is Felger allowed to shot his mouth at all during basketball season? 

Tanguay? He's likeable.  I guess I pull for him because he reminds me of a Glen Gary Glen Ross fumbling salesmen when he breaks a story.  funny.
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 05:40:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
When he found a guy on the inside feeding him credible information.  He might as well milk it for all its worth  (See Dan Shaughnessy)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 05:58:24 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Is Tanguay really an insider?  It was his "gut" that told him that Sheed was coming, not an insider.  He's not the only one who knew the Celtics were pursuing Rasheed.  And then he said BBD was as good as gone and going to SA, then to SA or Orlando.  Now we find out that neither is interested in BBD and he'd likely be back.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 06:09:54 PM »

• Jaylen Brown
Is Tanguay really an insider?  It was his "gut" that told him that Sheed was coming, not an insider.  He's not the only one who knew the Celtics were pursuing Rasheed.  And then he said BBD was as good as gone and going to SA, then to SA or Orlando.  Now we find out that neither is interested in BBD and he'd likely be back.
That's my point. He tries be to be one, but I don't think he is at that level yet. I doubt his sources really are worth anything anyway.

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 06:12:18 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I think he got overconfident after the Wallace thing turned out to be accurate (in all fairness, he was really pushing that well before the national media mentioned even the possibility). Maybe he knew the Celtics were willing to spend, would go after somebody to make a big splash, and put it together that Sheed would best fill the Celtics' needs. He did a good job with it. But, oh, the Baby thing - maybe Davis met with the Spurs and Tanguay thought that was enough to go on. I think, though, he doesn't understand what other teams need, how other teams operate, and how much Baby is really worth on the open market.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 06:14:11 PM »

Offline BoundingRounder

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • "Angels fly 'cause they take themselves lightly"
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day... ;D
"I am shocked to discover that over 90% of our imports come from outside America!."  George Bush

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 06:17:41 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
First off, he doesn't seem like a very good insider. The other day Felgie was making fun of his reporting style, and offered suggestions.

A lot of n00bs try too hard to stand out from the pack. I think Tanguay belongs in this discussion. He reported Baby to SA a few days ago. Thinking word is bond I trusted him. But it appears as though SA can be checked off the list (maybe) if McDyess is getting the MLE.

I'd expect Dickerson for instance to do a better job at reporting rumors because he's actually around the team a lot. He flies on the plane with them and is always chatting with the guys. I'm far from a Greg Dickerson homer but let's be real, he's a better rumor reporter than twitter typer tanguay.

Tanguay sucks. He belongs here in Canada where "reporters" just go on ESPN insider.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 07:05:07 PM »

Offline Pawtucket Pat

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
The other day Felgie was making fun of his reporting style, and offered suggestions.

Felger shouldn't be making fun of anyone. That guy has seriously turned himself into the worst reporter/talking head (because come on, let's face it, what is the guy really "reporting" these days anyway?) in Boston. He's the epitome of traditional terrible Boston reporters--he seems to hate Boston sports and players, he jumps to conclusions WAY too quickly on WAY too little information, he's a walking hyperbole, and, maybe most importantly, he rarely knows what he is talking about, probably best evidenced whenever he opens his mouth about the Celtics, and also when he was rightly embarrassed by Tom Verducci for criticizing Verducci's book when he hadn't even read it. Felger is a clown, plain and simple.

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 08:38:52 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I never at any point took any merit in anything someone from a regional Comcast station said. But maybe that's just me.

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 11:36:15 PM »

• Jaylen Brown
Felger shouldn't be making fun of anyone. That guy has seriously turned himself into the worst reporter/talking head (because come on, let's face it, what is the guy really "reporting" these days anyway?) in Boston. He's the epitome of traditional terrible Boston reporters--he seems to hate Boston sports and players, he jumps to conclusions WAY too quickly on WAY too little information, he's a walking hyperbole, and, maybe most importantly, he rarely knows what he is talking about, probably best evidenced whenever he opens his mouth about the Celtics, and also when he was rightly embarrassed by Tom Verducci for criticizing Verducci's book when he hadn't even read it. Felger is a clown, plain and simple.
Felger is mainly a Patriots guy anyway. He knows his football. Being a huge basketball and hockey fan, I can tell how unknowledgable he is about the Celtics and Bruins. And when he tries to give an opinion, he treats it as a debate where he has his "facts" ready at his disposal. As nice as that is, you know he doesn't watch either team on a regular basis, so he strikes you as a guy who's just trying to create a rise to sell tickets, not give an honest opinion.

That all being said, Felger knows how to punctuate and make a point. He is probably better at reporting a rumor and coming up with the right words to say than Tanguay whom I remember basically said "I heard from a source of mine whose source is an inside source... "

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 11:42:12 PM »

Offline vl819

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19
Felger is mainly a Patriots guy anyway. He knows his football. Being a huge basketball and hockey fan, I can tell how unknowledgable he is about the Celtics and Bruins. And when he tries to give an opinion, he treats it as a debate where he has his "facts" ready at his disposal. As nice as that is, you know he doesn't watch either team on a regular basis, so he strikes you as a guy who's just trying to create a rise to sell tickets, not give an honest opinion.

That all being said, Felger knows how to punctuate and make a point. He is probably better at reporting a rumor and coming up with the right words to say than Tanguay whom I remember basically said "I heard from a source of mine whose source is an inside source... "

Good explanation. TP.