Author Topic: Horford free agency thread: Possibly leaving: Page 10  (Read 47888 times)

Horford free agency thread: Possibly leaving: Page 10
« on: May 11, 2019, 10:47:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I guessed correctly.... 50 50 or 60 40 he returns. He shouldnt have issues getting a 3 year 20 per year as a FA

“It’s something that I haven’t even stopped to think about,” he said. “I’ve enjoyed being here in Boston. Just have to wait and see what we’re going to do as a team. And it’s steps that the management is going to do moving forward, and continue to get better.”

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/05/al-horford-free-agency-boston-celtics-big-wants-to-wait-and-see-how-team-gets-better.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 09:19:02 PM by nickagneta »

Re: Horford free agency thread: Possibly leaving: Page
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 10:54:48 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
He wants to wait until the stench of Kyrie has been removed and purified.

That's a power move right there  :)

It couldn't be because of Davis, that would allow him to play his natural position and take the defensive focus off him.

That is ALL about removing Kyrie.

Hell, Al looks uncomfortable just sitting beside Kyrie. Al is the most unselfish player on the team so, I KNOW...Kyrie bugs the hell outta him.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 11:17:38 AM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 10:57:43 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Can you blame him? The team was dysfunctional

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 10:57:56 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Wow. I am genuinely surprised by that.

Good for him.

Horford would be a huge loss. No Kyrie and no Horford = no Davis = a borderline playoff team with a large building job ahead of them.

At least we'd still have Tatum and Jaylen. Hopefully Rozier. That is a good starting point. I think Tatum and Jaylen are under-rated as a wing duo. To have two tall athletic two-way wings - that puts a lot of pressure on opponents.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 11:07:02 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Horford is just the type player in age, ability and contract that Belichick would let go. But it's a different sport with a different set of cap/contract rules. Ainge has more constraints than Belichick. Hayward would have been long gone by now if he played for the Patriots. Guaranteed contracts are a killer in the NBA and MLB.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 11:12:40 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Horford should probably just collect his $30M paycheck this year and then, next year, join whatever team he thinks has the best shot at a championship after the dust has settled this off-season. He would likely be on MLE contract for the rest of his career (unless a surprise team comes to the forefront), but at least he would likely be able to go further than the ECF. He is probably at a point in his career where he just wants to win.

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 11:13:14 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
When the nice house you enjoyed living in is infiltrated by toxic mold, I can understand the instinct to leave and not come back unless the mold is thoroughly eradicated.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 11:18:15 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Horford should probably just collect his $30M paycheck this year and then, next year, join whatever team he thinks has the best shot at a championship after the dust has settled this off-season. He would likely be on MLE contract for the rest of his career (unless a surprise team comes to the forefront), but at least he would likely be able to go further than the ECF. He is probably at a point in his career where he just wants to win.

Horford is wayyyy better than the MLE. He will definitely get a multiple year deal for much higher than the MLE if he opts out this summer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 11:23:18 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Horford is wayyyy better than the MLE. He will definitely get a multiple year deal for much higher than the MLE if he opts out this summer.

I realize that and noted as much in my post. Maybe it wasn't totally clear, but I said for this upcoming season (19-20) he should collect his full $30M from the Cs and then in 20-21, he should take a closer look at the landscape of the NBA and decide where to sign. There are a lot of top-level FAs this off-season and many of them seem to be on the move. Signing a long-term contract this off-season with a team who proves not to be a contender could just spell the end for Horford's championship aspirations.

I realize that even in 20-21, Horford is still likely more than a MLE player, but when you desire to join a top 1-2 NBA team, sometimes you need to take a paycut to win. If Horford is satisfied just getting to the 2nd round or CF every season, then, sure, he should just sign with whoever offers him the most money. I am just assuming he wants the thrill of a championship at the NBA level.

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 11:25:40 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Now if Al leaves I’ll be hurt. I’d feel that more than literally anyone else on this roster leaving.

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 11:27:02 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Keeping Horford is important regardless of what we do with Kyrie. Stevens system needs a big who can facilitate.

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 11:32:24 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Well, if I was just humiliated because of selfish play from a guy 4 games in a row ending our season, and the fans keep pouring their love for that same guy to leave his dark shadow over the team for 5 more years...ultimately being the rest of Al's career...I definitely would send a big message to the front office myself.

And I will bet it goes right over Danny's head.

So...I think we've seen the last of Al.

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 11:32:37 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
During that post-game interview he also explicitly said that he would like to be back in Boston, though the article didn’t quote that part.

So, I mean, this is natural. His first choice is Boston, but he also is a competitor and wants to win a ring while he’s still a major contributor. Don’t blame him at all for wanting to see where the team is going before verbally committing here, especially if Kyrie might leave.

That said, I don’t think Kyrie leaving is the end-all for Horford, as I think you could convince him to stay without Kyrie if there’s no other obvious landing spot for him that puts him in a better position to win.

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 11:34:59 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Wow. I am genuinely surprised by that.

Good for him.

Horford would be a huge loss. No Kyrie and no Horford = no Davis = a borderline playoff team with a large building job ahead of them.

At least we'd still have Tatum and Jaylen. Hopefully Rozier. That is a good starting point. I think Tatum and Jaylen are under-rated as a wing duo. To have two tall athletic two-way wings - that puts a lot of pressure on opponents.

Under no circumstances is there ever an argument to keep Rozier on the team.

Perhaps if he agrees to a 5 year contract at the absolute minumum salary and minimum raises.......well even then it would be a questionable move to retain him

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 11:37:29 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Well, if I was just humiliated because of selfish play from a guy 4 games in a row ending our season, and the fans keep pouring their love for that same guy to leave his dark shadow over the team for 5 more years...ultimately being the rest of Al's career...I definitely would send a big message to the front office myself.

And I will bet it goes right over Danny's head.

So...I think we've seen the last of Al.

First off.

He isnt getting a 5 year deal anywhere.

2nd....4 games is not going to influence any professional athlete as opposed to multiple years worth of experience.

Trying to blame kyrie for Horford doing something intelligent for himself professionally is really reaching with an agenda of kyrie hate