Author Topic: Giannis appears to have plateaued  (Read 3353 times)

Giannis appears to have plateaued
« on: January 16, 2021, 10:56:09 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
One of the biggest obstacles to the Celtics title hopes over the next several years was the spectre of Giannis being too good to beat.

Things can always change, but it just doesn't look like he's going to go up another level. He's awesome, but his remaining flaws are not going away. It doesn't look like he's going to take those final steps he needs to dominate the league the way LeBron has.

Re: Giannis appears to have plateaued
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 11:40:11 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
This hasn't really been a hot topic around the league but I think it's a great point to bring up.  As great as Giannis is, I don't think he strikes that much fear into teams with good defenses.  He's going to do his thing over the course of a game but he's not scary at all at the moments where a team needs their best player to get buckets in crunch time.  I have rolled my eyes every time over the last several years when people have claimed that his shooting is finally coming around so watch out!  Commentators need to be banned from saying this, but they continue to say it.  His shooting has never come around and it's never even improved from his rookie year.  He's been in the league a long time so what we see might be what we are going to get.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 11:51:12 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Truth. He plateaued at two time MVP. Pretty sad. Not sure what the Bucks do from here on out.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 12:06:57 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
If this is his peak it's still incredibly good.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 12:28:23 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
I’m not sure if his shot can be fixed, but he should work with Drew Hanlan if he hasn’t already. What’s interesting is statistically, his best 3pt shooting year was his rookie season where he made them 34.7% of the time. From there his percentage has stayed between 25-30%.  It’s also interesting that he’s playing 1 less mpg than he did last year and his rpg are down by 3 as are his ppg. With that said, He’s still only 26 and has an incredible work ethic. Definitely has time to improve
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 12:38:18 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
Truth. He plateaued at two time MVP. Pretty sad. Not sure what the Bucks do from here on out.

That's not the point. Looking at the history of the league, there have been a very small group of mega-stars so good that they reduce the chances of winning a championship for everyone else in the league considerably. Most MVP's don't fall into that category, as amazing as they can be.

Giannis was looking like he might become one of those guys. He still might, but as of right now, it doesn't look like he's going that one extra step.

That can be the difference between a Tatum/Brown led team having a viable chance, or not.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 01:01:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Giannis was looking like he might become one of those guys. He still might, but as of right now, it doesn't look like he's going that one extra step.

I know what you’re saying.  Many of the greats seemed to add new skills every season or two.  Larry, Lebron, etc.  They’d take one off-season, and come back not just as a better version of what they were, but as a better player with new skills.

Then, you look at many of the guys who were able to add a credible three pointer.  Horford, Cousins, Gasol, Rondo, Rozier, Baynes and a ton I’m not thinking about.

But, is it a fair critique of Giannis?  He seems to have gotten better year by year, and he has added skills, like playing center at a credible level.

He just needs to add the 37% 3PT jumper.  I think he'll do it.  This off-season was basically non-existent.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 01:19:51 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell

I know what you’re saying.  Many of the greats seemed to add new skills every season or two.  Larry, Lebron, etc.  They’d take one off-season, and come back not just as a better version of what they were, but as a better player with new skills.

Then, you look at many of the guys who were able to add a credible three pointer.  Horford, Cousins, Gasol, Rondo, Rozier, Baynes and a ton I’m not thinking about.

But, is it a fair critique of Giannis?  He seems to have gotten better year by year, and he has added skills, like playing center at a credible level.

He just needs to add the 37% 3PT jumper.  I think he'll do it.  This off-season was basically non-existent.

It's obviously possible, but I don't think so. His free throw shooting is heading downward too. There is no trend of improvement in his shooting whatsoever over several years.

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 01:27:05 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Maybe, but tbh it's usually not even Giannis that kills us, it's some of the other guys on the Bucks like Middleton lol. In a playoff series it'd still be a tough matchup against them because of that.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 02:14:07 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
If Giannis developed a shot he could basically be KG in his prime.

The problem is in the playoffs teams pack the paint and dare him to shoot essentially. Until he can punish teams with his shot that is going to be their achilles heel in the playoffs when they face better teams

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 02:32:36 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Plateauing as a top 3-5 NBA player is still an All Time achievement. Even if he doesn’t get any better, he’s still one of those top 3-5 guys for the next 6,7,8 years potentially.

Like others have said, he’ll add a three point shot. This off-season probably didn’t buy much time for that type of addition.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 02:33:33 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
You hate to see it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 02:44:00 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
If Giannis developed a shot he could basically be KG in his prime.

The problem is in the playoffs teams pack the paint and dare him to shoot essentially. Until he can punish teams with his shot that is going to be their achilles heel in the playoffs when they face better teams

Different players. KG was naturally unselfish with the ball almost to a fault at times, and didn’t have Giannis’s open court driving ability with the ball.  KG is the much better post player.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 03:19:09 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Plateauing as a top 3-5 NBA player is still an All Time achievement. Even if he doesn’t get any better, he’s still one of those top 3-5 guys for the next 6,7,8 years potentially.

Like others have said, he’ll add a three point shot. This off-season probably didn’t buy much time for that type of addition.
What about his other 7 offseasons?  Giannis is an amazing player but he had GOAT potential that it doesn't look like he'll fulfill.  He's gonna be a top 3-5 player for several more years which is awesome but he's not as scary as some other guys in a playoff series because he can't shoot.  All the title conversation seems to include the Lakers, Nets, and Clippers.  If Giannis could shoot Milwaukee would be talked about like those teams.  As it is I don't think any great team is too worried about Milwaukee.

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 03:56:14 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Giannis is averaging 27/10/5 on the 2nd best team in the East (by record).  He is dealing with a bunch of new teammates and his efficiencies/rates are basically his career average or better across the board.  He is 26 and in year 8. 

The Bucks are much better positioned to win in the post season this year with the addition of Holiday who is BY FAR the best 3rd best player Giannis has ever played with. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip