Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 339644 times)

Re: Report: Pels to call Boston if they can't convince Davis to stay
« Reply #2670 on: May 16, 2019, 10:05:11 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1980
Is there any reason Davis would choose to stay?  Pels management has consistently failed to build around AD.  They haven't even come close to being able to contend within their own conference.  I don't see why that would all of a sudden change, and it's not like Zion is going to propel an immediate turnaround in NO.  Davis wants to win now, and you don't win with youth no matter how talented they are.

« Reply #2671 on: May 16, 2019, 10:05:17 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
This is an interesting nugget regarding Kyrie.

I know Sherrod isn't exactly "Mr. Reliable" (then again, who is) but saw this on NBCSportsBoston.com
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/league-execs-fans-have-lots-thoughts-kyries-future-boston

Here's an excerpt:

Despite most of those spoken to indicating they anticipate Irving will play somewhere besides Boston next season, there were a couple of league officials who are convinced that when all is said and done, Irving will sign a long-term deal with Boston.

“He’s playing all of you guys right now,” a front-office official with a Western Conference team told NBC Sports on Thursday. “Say what you want about his leadership and all that nonsense, but the one thing we know about Kyrie is he will do what is best for Kyrie. The money, chance to win a title sooner rather than later, have his own team … all that stuff matters and when he looks at all the different options he’ll have, I think he’ll have one of those, “what the hell was I thinking?” moments and go back to Boston.”

Another excerpt
An NBA scout who has followed Irving dating to his days at Duke agrees.

“I know this season didn’t end the way Kyrie or the Celtics wanted,” the scout said. “But when you look at what went wrong for them, it’s easy to blame Kyrie because he didn’t shoot the ball well. But when you hear what others are saying afterwards, Brad (Stevens) saying he did a bad job, players talking about how they sacrificed this and that … it’s pretty obvious that they had a lot of issues going on that were bigger than just one player, even a player as good as Kyrie.

The scout added, “I think he comes back and he comes back with an attitude; a little edgier with not just his words but his play.”

« Reply #2672 on: May 16, 2019, 10:09:00 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
It should also be noted that the Pels have been doing their due diligence at the combine interviewing. While they would’ve interviewed Zion, Morant, and RJ regardless, I think they’re exploring the other lottery talents in preparation for an AD trade. If Boston can combine their picks into a mid-lottery selection in the 6-8 range, that’d probably really help the trade out, especially if NOLA likes a guy in that range.

I remember Danny's failed attempt to move up for Justise Winslow, so I think that moving into the 6-8 range might be challenging but worth pursuing even if we don't trade the picks. This draft is thought to be a "flat" draft after 1-3, so that might help.

« Reply #2673 on: May 16, 2019, 10:16:56 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't think what Irving does will affect  any Davis trade--at least from  the NO viewpoint. They are interested in the best deal for Davis. Period. 

Irving's presence, however, might determine if Davis stays and re-signs with the Celtics. That could be a factor for Ainge.
Maybe not, depending on the team left surrounding Davis. 

Fasten your seat belts. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

« Reply #2674 on: May 16, 2019, 10:17:33 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Anthony Davis would be a top 3 talent in the East, arguably #1
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/05/16/danny-ainge-staying-put-as-celtics-face-big-decisions/

New Orleans is also waiting on a meeting with Anthony Davis, and Pelicans sources say that discussion is expected to take place within the next week. David Griffin, who took over the team’s basketball operations last month, is planning to pitch Davis on staying put after a season that saw AD ask for a trade and say that, if that request wasn’t accommodated, he would opt out and leave as an unrestricted free agent in 2020.

There have been reports that Davis hasn’t moved from that stance, and if such is the case, sources here told the Herald the Pelicans will reach out to the Celtics as the most obvious trade partner. The Celts may still not be sure about a deal because it’s not known yet what the Pels will want in return for the All-Star, but there seems to be a belief that they’d be able to work things out.

It’s also within the realm of possibility that another team could jump into the picture, but it’s hard to see the Lakers as one of those teams. New Orleans sources said the team “won’t be doing business” with the Lakers, with the bitterness from the Lakers’ attempt to engineer a Davis deal during the season still seething within the Pelicans’ organization.

Sources here at NBA draft combine in Chicago saying Celts are still most attractive trade partner for New Orleans if Pelicans can't convince Anthony Davis to stay.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SteveBHoop/status/1129139107266007041

If the Celts won't bring back Irving

does the team still want AD??
there were reports that Ainge is trying to get Davis regardless of what kyrie does

If kyrie leaves does that open cap space for us?

So Ainge is okay with gutting our roster if Kyrie leaves and we lose Brown/Tatum/Smart/Yabusele/14/20/22 picks in a package for Anthony Davis one-year rental.

this is what I mean...that would be terrible

Celtics fans want to forcefeed Tatum + Smart and multiple 1sts and think Griffin will take this offer in a heartbeat

Truth is, we don't even know if Tatum or Brown is on the table

Knowing cheapie Danny

he will probably offer Smart, 3 2019 1sts, memphis 1st, sign and trade Rozier....to try to pry AD

I don't think so. I think Ainge has been lusting after Davis for sometime and will do what's necessary to land him. I'm sure him and Griffin will have some ongoing dialogue as it won't be a quick transaction. But when the smoke clears, I think both sides will come to an agreement that's mutually amicable.

And I think Smart, Tatum and picks for AD is a very fair deal. He's a top 5 player in the league. You're not going to acquire him for a song and dance.

Also, Ainge did Griffin a solid a few years back when he helped him clear cap space to bring back Lebron to Cleveland by acquiring Tyler Zeller. Time to return the favor.

« Reply #2676 on: May 16, 2019, 10:25:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Again Griffin literally laid out the three elements he would look for in an AD if he were the Pelicans on TV. (before he got the job)

1. Young player with star potential
2. Draft picks
3. Cost effective role player who impacted winning

The teams can meet those conditions best in my mind are BOS/TOR/DEN. The Celtics package that fits that criteria has already been cited over and over on this board and in the media. Just comes down to which star does he prefer and does the Kyrie weirdness lead to the C's backing off their best offers.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/05/16/danny-ainge-staying-put-as-celtics-face-big-decisions/

New Orleans is also waiting on a meeting with Anthony Davis, and Pelicans sources say that discussion is expected to take place within the next week. David Griffin, who took over the team’s basketball operations last month, is planning to pitch Davis on staying put after a season that saw AD ask for a trade and say that, if that request wasn’t accommodated, he would opt out and leave as an unrestricted free agent in 2020.

There have been reports that Davis hasn’t moved from that stance, and if such is the case, sources here told the Herald the Pelicans will reach out to the Celtics as the most obvious trade partner. The Celts may still not be sure about a deal because it’s not known yet what the Pels will want in return for the All-Star, but there seems to be a belief that they’d be able to work things out.

It’s also within the realm of possibility that another team could jump into the picture, but it’s hard to see the Lakers as one of those teams. New Orleans sources said the team “won’t be doing business” with the Lakers, with the bitterness from the Lakers’ attempt to engineer a Davis deal during the season still seething within the Pelicans’ organization.

Sources here at NBA draft combine in Chicago saying Celts are still most attractive trade partner for New Orleans if Pelicans can't convince Anthony Davis to stay.

there were reports that Ainge is trying to get Davis regardless of what kyrie does

So Ainge is okay with gutting our roster if Kyrie leaves and we lose Brown/Tatum/Smart/Yabusele/14/20/22 picks in a package for Anthony Davis one-year rental.

It wouldn't really be gutting the roster though.

I think the reasonable package is Smart, Tatum, Williams, pick#14 and the Memphis pick for AD.

IF Kyrie doesn't return, I like the idea (someone on this site suggested it) of bring Rondo back for the MLE. I've never been a big Rondo fan, even during his days in Boston, but he did play with AD in NO and the two seemed to get along really well.

Rondo would also compliment AD really well, being a facilitator and all. Also, you'd still have Jaylen, Hayward, Horford, maybe re-signing Morris, Baynes, Theis, our 20 and 22 pick.

If Kyrie returns, even better. We can use the MLE on someone else. Either way, the goal should be to get AD.

« Reply #2678 on: May 16, 2019, 10:42:53 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Not hearing a single peep from the BLOW IT UP doom and gloom crowd in this thread.  Where you guys at?

Obviously this is just a report and nothing has happened yet, but it's the best possible news we could get.

After this train wreck of a season, my excitement level concerning the Cs is at an all-time low. Even if their offseason ends up appearing to be amazing, I'm not gonna get excited unless and until I see a very good on-court product.

Is that doom-and-gloom enough for you? ;D

P.S.—I am SO loving that the Pels are sticking it to the Lakers.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Celtics fans want to forcefeed Tatum + Smart and multiple 1sts and think Griffin will take this offer in a heartbeat

Knowing cheapie Danny

he will probably offer Smart, 3 2019 1sts, memphis 1st, sign and trade Rozier....to try to pry AD

I don't think so. I think Ainge has been lusting after Davis for sometime and will do what's necessary to land him. I'm sure him and Griffin will have some ongoing dialogue as it won't be a quick transaction. But when the smoke clears, I think both sides will come to an agreement that's mutually amicable.

And I think Smart, Tatum and picks for AD is a very fair deal. He's a top 5 player in the league. You're not going to acquire him for a song and dance.

Also, Ainge did Griffin a solid a few years back when he helped him clear cap space to bring back Lebron to Cleveland by acquiring Tyler Zeller. Time to return the favor.

At the expense of losing to LeBron three more times in the playoffs  :'(

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2680 on: May 16, 2019, 11:55:34 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Philly is not in the mix with Simmons.  Pels can get a poor shooting pg anywhere.  Hell we could give them that with smart.  If we lose smart brown and Tatum I think we'll be ok as long as we bring in some good vets.  Al and kyrie will be nice mediators to acclaimate everyone to brad and the system, and would be nice is mook comes back.  If so we have a starting all star rotation of kyrie, Hayward, al, Ad, and maybe Morris
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:05:52 AM by cltc5 »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Knowing cheapie Danny

At the expense of losing to LeBron three more times in the playoffs  :'(

True, but the 2014/15 team making the 1st round and getting eliminated was pretty much our ceiling
The 2016/17 squad was a good team but just didn't have the talent that Cleveland did
The 2017/18 team would've crushed the Cavs if Kyrie and Hayward weren't injured (of course assuming we never had the chemistry problems we had this past season.)

« Reply #2682 on: May 17, 2019, 12:53:56 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Said this in a couple of threads immediately after the lottery; it was a good outcome for the Cs if they still want AD.

I’d rank the best packages:
1. Celtics
2. Knicks
3. Lakers

If the Knicks had won the lotto that would have changed it. The Lakers package is not that good even with #4, Ingram’s health ruins it.

If PHI enters the bidding and offers up Simmons in a package, I'd have them at #1. Still think Knicks are ahead of the C's slightly. But I truthfully still think that Lakers package won't be as great as the others even if they offer up #4 + all of Ingram/Kuzma/Ball. Ingram's health + Lonzo/Lavar's off-the-court drama makes it look a lot less appealing and I think the Pels see this too.

Still wrong, as you've been for quite awhile on this.  Time to adapt. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #2683 on: May 17, 2019, 01:00:42 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
Said this in a couple of threads immediately after the lottery; it was a good outcome for the Cs if they still want AD.

I’d rank the best packages:
1. Celtics
2. Knicks
3. Lakers

If the Knicks had won the lotto that would have changed it. The Lakers package is not that good even with #4, Ingram’s health ruins it.

If PHI enters the bidding and offers up Simmons in a package, I'd have them at #1. Still think Knicks are ahead of the C's slightly. But I truthfully still think that Lakers package won't be as great as the others even if they offer up #4 + all of Ingram/Kuzma/Ball. Ingram's health + Lonzo/Lavar's off-the-court drama makes it look a lot less appealing and I think the Pels see this too.

Simmons is so overrated. The last thing you’d want to pair Zion with is another ball-dominant non-shooter.

Simmons is not ball dominant

if anything he passes too much

76ers trading Simmons + whatever for AD

is interesting

AD
Embiid

could be tough to handle. That would be a true, twin tower type tandem

Ben Simmons assist rate: 34.2%

Kyrie Irving assist rate: 35%

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2019_leaders.html#header

And all year long, you've been whining about Kyrie being a ball stopper and constantly having to make up new reasons to doubt an AD trade as the facts pummel you from all sides.  If I had a dollar for every time you were wrong, I'd be in the Celtics ownership group by now.

« Reply #2684 on: May 17, 2019, 01:03:51 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
Not hearing a single peep from the BLOW IT UP doom and gloom crowd in this thread.  Where you guys at?

Obviously this is just a report and nothing has happened yet, but it's the best possible news we could get.

It's exciting but I am also not trying to get my hopes up so I don't get disappointed if it doesn't happen.

I need something to get excited about after this season, and this will do until it either happens or we lose Kyrie and I disappear into a dark hole.