Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 342121 times)

Re: Anthony Davis trade thread(Davis trade request page 33)
« Reply #2580 on: May 15, 2019, 04:38:10 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
If you were the pels do you think you could build a decent team with celtics players and if so who?

Holliday
Smart
Brown
Zion
Baynes

+ semi + yabu & picks 3x ain’t bad as an example? Right age range...

Baynes has a NTC built into his contract, so he can choose where he wants to go.

That team is decent, but who's really going to be the go to scorer in the clutch? Zion is a monster, and built like a tank, but I would take my chances and double him/foul if I have. Only person I can see is Brown or Holiday, but Holiday has always been okay at clutch situations. Tatum looks more favorable to them personally.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2581 on: May 15, 2019, 04:49:03 PM »

Offline JAH1892

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
That’s a really good team as well! Lots of variables for NOLA GM and a fair few picks to boot

I think Morris could be good on NOLA as well for example

If you were the pels do you think you could build a decent team with celtics players and if so who?

Holliday
Smart
Brown
Zion
Baynes

+ semi + yabu & picks 3x ain’t bad as an example? Right age range...

For me.

Jrue/peyton
Hayward/pick 14
Tatum/fa
Zion/Wood
Randle/okafor

I firmly believe that team makes playoffs in the west

« Reply #2582 on: May 15, 2019, 04:49:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Holiday, Jaylen, Tatum and Zion is a good core to build around.

Add a 5th quality starter and that is a playoff team. One that could cause an upset or two because they would definitely be awkward to play against. Lot of speed and two way players.

They could go with a PG or SG due to Holiday's versatility. Go small with Tatum at PF next to Zion at C. Run and gun basketball.

Or go bigger with a PF next to Zion at C. Lots of size on the perimeter with Jrue, Jaylen and Tatum. Maybe bring back Mirotic to space the floor at PF. He would do great in that team.

Not wild about Zion at PF next to a non-shooter or limited shooting center. I think he needs a prolific and accurate outside shooting center alongside him to play PF. I prefer Zion at C anyway. His speed is an incredible advantage there.

« Reply #2583 on: May 15, 2019, 04:55:08 PM »

Offline JAH1892

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
I guess the objective is to not give up both Tatum and Brown?
Sounds like Horford could be a good fit with Zion...wow the Pels really lucked out!

Holiday, Jaylen, Tatum and Zion is a good core to build around.

Add a 5th quality starter and that is a playoff team. One that could cause an upset or two because they would definitely be awkward to play against. Lot of speed and two way players.

They could go with a PG or SG due to Holiday's versatility. Go small with Tatum at PF next to Zion at C. Run and gun basketball.

Or go bigger with a PF next to Zion at C. Lots of size on the perimeter with Jrue, Jaylen and Tatum. Maybe bring back Mirotic to space the floor at PF. He would do great in that team.

Not wild about Zion at PF next to a non-shooter or limited shooting center. I think he needs a prolific and accurate outside shooting center alongside him to play PF. I prefer Zion at C anyway. His speed is an incredible advantage there.

Re: Where Ainge Needs To Draw the Line on Davis Trade Package
« Reply #2584 on: May 15, 2019, 04:58:20 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't think the draft changed a thing about trading Davis. Except maybe make it easier for NO to trade Davis, since they now have Zion. 

The rest of the draft is not strong enough to have impact, and NO will now look more towards obtaining young protected talent that are established. Players like Tatum, Brown et al that the Celtics are stocked with.  The Lakers, too, though the Celtics have better players.

I don't think Ainge is in a position to draw any lines. Not with his problems running an underachieving team. He knows he has to get Davis, and he just hopes he has enough to get him.  And he is a good enough drafter to get two or three players who can more or less fill holes left after any trade. That assumes the big money vets are still around, since he will have cleared enough salary in a deal to accomodate Davis.

« Reply #2585 on: May 15, 2019, 05:06:27 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I certainly do not trade 14, 19, 22, and next years Memphis pick for this years #4.  That is insane.  14 and Memphis MAYBE.  I agree Tatum is far superior to LAL or NYK player options at his cost especially.  I think they get 2 players (JB and MS would be my best fit for them honestly) plus Memphis and a pick this year.  Zion is a SF.  He is listed at 6'-7" tall.  He is not a PF.  I do not see JT and ZW as good fits.  I think I would rather give up JT to both the MS, JB, but My gut feeling is then would rather have the other two.

Memphis has the #2. It's possible Ainge could trade up to #2, if that was an important part of the package to get Davis.
Remember, these #1 picks are salaried, and you don't want too many of them.

« Reply #2586 on: May 15, 2019, 05:08:45 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
The price to acquire Davis has gone up considerably given the Lakers landing at 4 and, to a lesser extent, the Knicks getting the 3rd pick.

It may now take all three of Tatum, Brown and Smart, plus the picks, to land him.

Would a Celtics team with Davis, Irving, Hayward, Horford and filler be able to defeat all comers?

Count me as skeptical that it would.

The value of the Memphis pick has gone up considerably and I should think AD will cost Tatum + Smart + 2-3 2019 1sts, but that we should be able to hold either Brown or the Memphis pick out of the deal.  Considering we'd be trying to win now by making the deal, I'd be inclined to keep Brown.

Recency bias (Sacramento top 1 protected) has devalued next year's Memphis pick (top 6 protected, unprotected in 2021).  Laker pick at 4 has to  be valued more than the Memphis pick (bird in the hand theory).

It may come down to where Tatum ranks as a fit with Zion, relative to other available players (Ball, Ingram, Knox, 4th pick). Griffin is a smart guy, and will take fit into his calculation.

That's absolutely not true, it's a perspective that Griffin may or may not have.  Memphis started the year as a top 5 team in the West through 20 games and still finished in the bottom 8, and will now likely not have Gasol or Conley and instead add a rookie who is unlikely to impact winning. 

Griffin is a smart guy and the #4 pick in a 2-3 guy draft isn't better than a potential top 3 pick in what looks like a great draft in 2021. 

The NBA is a league of potential and you take the chance at a grand slam over a no RBI double every time as a rebuilding team.

you are embarrassing yourself ... so you should stop

you are bias crazy, its not even funny

There is no indication Memphis will be basement dwellers next season.  Its a totally different story vs Nets...and how the Celts robbed them

Nets lost KG, PP...and the other vets...had no 1sts (due to giving it away to celts)... couldn't attract any FAs

Memphis already has Jackson Jr. , Morant (#2) pick and will likely get some good return for Conley Jr.  plus have cap space to attract a very good player this offseason.   

They have zero motivation to sukk for next season, especially since the draft pick is not theirs

Griffin would be foolish to bank on this 2020 memphis pick at being a "home run" .... unless he waited closer to the trade deadline, to know with more certainty

And I certainly disagree that this is only a 2 man draft.  Barrett for a long time was considered a #1 pick.  Hachimura and White are very good prospects. 

Like another poster stated.  It will depend on Griffin preference.  The Celts can absolutely beat any offers, but are you willing to give up "everything" for a guy that might leave after a season

Regards to Irving, even with AD trade promise.... I would be shocked if he signed a 5 year deal.  More likely a 1 + 1.   Basically if it all goes wrong,  the Celts will become that 2015-2017 Nets hell hole for years to come

The Celtics can make the best offer and White/Hachimura are much lesser prospects than Tatum and the chance at a top 3 pick in 2021 is worth a lot, because NO will never sniff that if it was guaranteed.  A guaranteed top 3 pick in 2021 wouldn't get traded at all.  Danny's Nets deal would be like Griffin taking a chance on the Memphis pick, and he could get his own Tatum out of it, plus our Tatum.  I'm perfectly rational.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:14:58 PM by smokeablount »
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #2587 on: May 15, 2019, 05:16:45 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
The price to acquire Davis has gone up considerably given the Lakers landing at 4 and, to a lesser extent, the Knicks getting the 3rd pick.

It may now take all three of Tatum, Brown and Smart, plus the picks, to land him.

Would a Celtics team with Davis, Irving, Hayward, Horford and filler be able to defeat all comers?

The value of the Memphis pick has gone up considerably and I should think AD will cost Tatum + Smart + 2-3 2019 1sts, but that we should be able to hold either Brown or the Memphis pick out of the deal.  Considering we'd be trying to win now by making the deal, I'd be inclined to keep Brown.

Recency bias (Sacramento top 1 protected) has devalued next year's Memphis pick (top 6 protected, unprotected in 2021).  Laker pick at 4 has to  be valued more than the Memphis pick (bird in the hand theory).

It may come down to where Tatum ranks as a fit with Zion, relative to other available players (Ball, Ingram, Knox, 4th pick). Griffin is a smart guy, and will take fit into his calculation.

That's absolutely not true, it's a perspective that Griffin may or may not have.  Memphis started the year as a top 5 team in the West through 20 games and still finished in the bottom 8, and will now likely not have Gasol or Conley and instead add a rookie who is unlikely to impact winning. 

Griffin is a smart guy and the #4 pick in a 2-3 guy draft isn't better than a potential top 3 pick in what looks like a great draft in 2021. 

The NBA is a league of potential and you take the chance at a grand slam over a no RBI double every time as a rebuilding team.

There is no indication Memphis will be basement dwellers next season.  Its a totally different story vs Nets...and how the Celts robbed them

Nets lost KG, PP...and the other vets...had no 1sts (due to giving it away to celts)... couldn't attract any FAs

Memphis already has Jackson Jr. , Morant (#2) pick and will likely get some good return for Conley Jr.  plus have cap space to attract a very good player this offseason.   

They have zero motivation to sukk for next season, especially since the draft pick is not theirs

Griffin would be foolish to bank on this 2020 memphis pick at being a "home run" .... unless he waited closer to the trade deadline, to know with more certainty

And I certainly disagree that this is only a 2 man draft.  Barrett for a long time was considered a #1 pick.  Hachimura and White are very good prospects. 

Like another poster stated.  It will depend on Griffin preference.  The Celts can absolutely beat any offers, but are you willing to give up "everything" for a guy that might leave after a season

Regards to Irving, even with AD trade promise.... I would be shocked if he signed a 5 year deal.  More likely a 1 + 1.   Basically if it all goes wrong,  the Celts will become that 2015-2017 Nets hell hole for years to come

The Celtics can make the best offer and White/Hachimura are much lesser prospects than Tatum and the chance at a top 3 pick in 2021 is worth a lot, because NO will never sniff that if it was guaranteed.  A guaranteed top 3 pick in 2021 wouldn't get traded at all.  Danny's Nets deal would be like Griffin taking a chance on the Memphis pick, and he could get his own Tatum out of it, plus our Tatum.  I'm perfectly rational.

I prefer what you wrote before lol.

But that being said, I think realistically, it could end up in the top 7th.

Grizzlies would need to seriously blow it up by trading everyone in Jonas, Bradley, and Conley.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2588 on: May 15, 2019, 05:17:05 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
I posted this in another thread but whether Danny can get AD to Boston will hinge on how Griffin feels about Tatum and the Memphis pick. Even though Tatum didn't have a great showing against the Bucks, I don't feel like that was held against him that much given the dysfunction of the team, and there seems to be a consensus that Memphis, with the #2 pick will now tank hard and that makes the future pick the Celtics' have more valuable.

I have no idea where Griffin is on these things, but the rest of the picks the C's can send are middling and the players they might send don't really move the needle. Tatum and the MEM pick would likely be the center of a deal. How does Griffin feel about those assets?

They are quite clearly the best 1-2 punch of assets he could get, aside from Tatum/Brown, and Griffin isn't dumb enough to weight the 3rd and 4th guys/assets in a deal more than the top 2.  This seems fairly open and shut.

« Reply #2589 on: May 15, 2019, 05:18:02 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

I prefer what you wrote before lol.

But that being said, I think realistically, it could end up in the top 7th.

Grizzlies would need to seriously blow it up by trading everyone in Jonas, Bradley, and Conley.

Lol it was rude, I decided I can defend my point even better with actual logic.

« Reply #2590 on: May 15, 2019, 05:27:22 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
I posted this in another thread but whether Danny can get AD to Boston will hinge on how Griffin feels about Tatum and the Memphis pick. Even though Tatum didn't have a great showing against the Bucks, I don't feel like that was held against him that much given the dysfunction of the team, and there seems to be a consensus that Memphis, with the #2 pick will now tank hard and that makes the future pick the Celtics' have more valuable.

I have no idea where Griffin is on these things, but the rest of the picks the C's can send are middling and the players they might send don't really move the needle. Tatum and the MEM pick would likely be the center of a deal. How does Griffin feel about those assets?

I hope he likes Rozier lol. Maybe Rozier could agree to a S&T?

RJ87 would be surprised if NOLA had any interest in Rozier with Jrue there. RJ87 thinks a sign and trade would be way too complicated to pull off anyway.

Okay "Rozier."

Confirmed Rozier's burner account.

For such a smart poster, Rozier sure looks dumb out on the court.  Maybe he does better when sitting down and not playing basketball... oh wait, we all already knew that.

« Reply #2591 on: May 15, 2019, 05:32:46 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Now that the lottery results (Lakers get 4th pick, Knicks 3rd, Celtics 14th, Pels win Zion Sweepstakes), the cost to acquire Davis has gone up.

I still do not understand the logic as to how the Pelicans have any more leverage over other teams now.  Davis is still going to walk, they still need to trade him, and in fact more teams are likely in play now as the Pelicans will want players that can complement Williamson.

« Reply #2592 on: May 15, 2019, 05:44:41 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
And the #4 pick is most certainly not equal to (4) #1 picks...especially in a draft with a consensus of only 3 top players.  I think they get a max of (4) of the 7 assets(MS,JT,JB, (4) #1's.  My line is 4.  Salary filler and 2nd rnd picks mean nothing.
I disagree.  While I understand that this is a three player draft (though we know there will be sleepers), I may not want to draft guys in the teens and twenties.  Most of those are misses and then you just end up with a bunch of guaranteed contracts.  Would probably rather have one shot at the next best player.

And that's Tatum, by a mile.

« Reply #2593 on: May 15, 2019, 05:50:54 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
I think I would rather give up JT to both the MS, JB, but My gut feeling is then would rather have the other two.

I think they'll ask for Tatum and Brown, and settle for Tatum and Smart, along with several other assets.

Tatum and Memphis as the centerpieces, Smart as a good young player and to match salary, + 1-2 of RW3 and this year's picks I'd imagine.  And I'd do that as long as the other 2 aren't Sacto + Williams both.  Maybe I'd do it anyway.

EDIT - Plus Yabu which will sadden no one except maybe people who love cheerleaders. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:56:26 PM by smokeablount »

« Reply #2594 on: May 15, 2019, 05:55:00 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
I certainly do not trade 14, 19, 22, and next years Memphis pick for this years #4.  That is insane.  14 and Memphis MAYBE.  I agree Tatum is far superior to LAL or NYK player options at his cost especially.  I think they get 2 players (JB and MS would be my best fit for them honestly) plus Memphis and a pick this year.  Zion is a SF.  He is listed at 6'-7" tall.  He is not a PF.  I do not see JT and ZW as good fits.  I think I would rather give up JT to both the MS, JB, but My gut feeling is then would rather have the other two.

Memphis has the #2. It's possible Ainge could trade up to #2, if that was an important part of the package to get Davis.
Remember, these #1 picks are salaried, and you don't want too many of them.

I wonder what it would cost to get Memphis #2? 

Future Memphis #1, #14 & RW3?  It doesn't seem like an overpay but I'm not sure.  I don't know if it's enough either.